I haven't looked up who the main tenant is here.

Hmm...the Simpson Tower...

the-homer-ft.jpg

This documents outlines the decision to reclad: https://cintec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CCE-Article-WSP-November-2017.pdf
I didn't realize this is Hudson's Bay HQ.

Excerpt:

The Challenge: Deteriorating Precast Cladding In 2013, the owners engaged WSP to perform a condition assessment of the precast cladding of The Simpson Tower, now referred to as 401 Bay. Following an extensive study, several management strategies for the precast cladding were presented ranging from restoration as a minimum, to the extreme case of overcladding or recladding. The latter options were intended to renew the façade and minimize maintenance and repair of the existing cladding. A significant concern for the client in addition to life-cycle costs was the impact on building operation and occupants.

The Solution
: Overcladding After reviewing the cost/risk implications of each option and considering impact to existing tenants, the owners chose to overclad. By externally securing the precast panels and installing new cladding outboard of the existing cladding, minimal interior work would be necessary providing less impact to the existing tenants. Renewing the façade by overcladding the building with a new curtain wall system also provided the owners with several positive impacts by:  Renewing the overall life of the exterior envelope  Updating the architectural look of the building using more modern materials and technologies;  Greatly improving the thermal performance of the building, which in turn saves on energy costs; and,  Upgrading the building to allow the owners to attract and maintain high quality tenants

By using this innovative approach, the project is moving along successfully without significant tenant disruption that would occur with an alternative re-cladding approach.

This documents outlines the decision to reclad: https://cintec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CCE-Article-WSP-November-2017.pdf
I didn't realize this is Hudson's Bay HQ.

Excerpt:

The Challenge: Deteriorating Precast Cladding In 2013, the owners engaged WSP to perform a condition assessment of the precast cladding of The Simpson Tower, now referred to as 401 Bay. Following an extensive study, several management strategies for the precast cladding were presented ranging from restoration as a minimum, to the extreme case of overcladding or recladding. The latter options were intended to renew the façade and minimize maintenance and repair of the existing cladding. A significant concern for the client in addition to life-cycle costs was the impact on building operation and occupants.

The Solution: Overcladding After reviewing the cost/risk implications of each option and considering impact to existing tenants, the owners chose to overclad. By externally securing the precast panels and installing new cladding outboard of the existing cladding, minimal interior work would be necessary providing less impact to the existing tenants. Renewing the façade by overcladding the building with a new curtain wall system also provided the owners with several positive impacts by:  Renewing the overall life of the exterior envelope  Updating the architectural look of the building using more modern materials and technologies;  Greatly improving the thermal performance of the building, which in turn saves on energy costs; and,  Upgrading the building to allow the owners to attract and maintain high quality tenants

By using this innovative approach, the project is moving along successfully without significant tenant disruption that would occur with an alternative re-cladding approach.
Fair enough (and thanks for posting, it does show they THOUGHT of alternatives) BUT they really could have installed more appropriate cladding and the 'podium' (which was always a weak spot!) is now ghastly and the 'public art' component shown above (thanks @3Dementia ) is, unfortunately, all too appropriate. (I find myself wanting to pee whenever I walk past!)

I appreciate @interchange42 raising the question. Their 'answer' is absolute horseshit though. While tenants do have a good say in some aspects of a building, they do not control major renovations like this one. Cad Fairview chose a suburban car dealership architect themselves and while the project was transferred to WZMH upon Pellow's acquisition, it remained as it was originally drawn by that firm. They're trying to escape blame for a truly terrible renovation and they should absolutely be shamed for it.

As bad as that podium, front entrance and tower are, I doubt that anyone lucky enough to work inside the building will be remotely aware of the horror they present to the outside world. And for those same folks who might walk to work, I doubt that they ever glance up from their phones to take in their respective surroundings, before heading inside.

I'm becoming further convinced that architecture--with the exception of landmark tourist attractions--and possibly celebrity mansions-- may no longer matter much to most folks, since few people these days are actually gazing up or out at it. The eventual transition to VR headsets will only exacerbate this trend.

The most unfortunate aspect of this tower is that it IS visible from NPS which is a tourist destination. One can only hope that visiting folks will quickly get their selfie at the TORONTO sign and move on without gazing around too much. It may just be fellow architecture nerds who actually give a rats ass anymore about this particular kind of urban desecration.

Last edited:

Back