I might be able to address specifics if you can give an example of for-profit private project that actually took 6, 7, 8+ years to complete. Gehry tower may be planned to take 6+ years to complete, I have no idea. But, I also don't see any action there. Let's stay out of hypotheticals, such as the Gehry towers. If you think back to projects that take 6+ years to complete they are generally projects that involves government, airports, dams, subway, etc. Theses projects are backed by governments that aren't looking at NPVs with discount rates of 5-8%. Governments take and must take much longer periods of time into account. Private investors want returns now and as high as possible. When your payback period is 6-8 years and your discount rate is 8% things get ugly fast. Not mention the risk associated with periods of 8 years. The odds of catching a market down turn when you project goes on this long is much higher.

Anyway find me a project that took 8 years to complete, was a success and we can pick apart why it's an exception. I suspect it'll be hard to find.
Monde by Great Gulf, acquisition of property 2010 to substantial completion end 2018

What isn't common is to have only five floors constructed 10 years after excavation started.
this started construction in 2011?

good to know this is "under construction"..

Construction.png

I could see this taking a little more than 3 years to top out and almost another year to finish mechanical, cladding and the interior areas. I'm placing my bet on Dec 2025 for mostly complete.

I mean more like the stupid rhetoric about how there should be affordable housing in this building.

Or the general fact they push nimbyism over density in a housing crisis
I could understand them expecting the developer to donate funds for affordable housing where it makes sense to build it, like infill in tower-in-the-park inner suburbs.

But I agree affordable housing here is wasteful. You can build more units in a cheaper area and building.

It's been 4 years since excavation started here. Awhile has passed sure but certainly nothing unprecedented in the grand scheme of things. We're already starting to see the pace pick up a little.

Back