IMG_3932.jpg

I need the little back hoe from the Port Lands to come over and tweet hourly updates- that can happen, right?

I need the little back hoe from the Port Lands to come over and tweet hourly updates- that can happen, right?
I think that Rocky the Ripper is enslaved by WT and is not allowed to travel, even in his limited free time. I may be misjudging him but I think he is more into excavations than erections so not sure he would come even if he could.

The arch installation continues and they have now completed 5 'bays; on both east and west sides with all their arches. They seem to have no more columns or large pieces on hand so I assume will get more in the New Year. Only 3 more bays - on east and west - to go. Sooner than later we should start seeing some walls appearing and should then get a better idea of how the final building will conform to the rendering. So good so far but ....

Last edited:
Something I only just realized with that last pic, was just how much more public space we’re getting at the front of the building. I’m guessing we’ll see some street vending on weekends.

Something I only just realized with that last pic, was just how much more public space we’re getting at the front of the building. I’m guessing we’ll see some street vending on weekends.
I think the footprint of the new Market is very similar to that of the old one, there was always a fairly wide sidewalk on Front Street in front of it, there were a couple of trees.

I think the footprint of the new Market is very similar to that of the old one, there was always a fairly wide sidewalk on Front Street in front of it, there were a couple of trees.

Lets compare, shall we?

Current Construction site, aerial pic from 2020:

1640615335070.png

When comparing this to the photos above of the building rising, we can see the footprint comes pretty close to the corner of Front and Jarvis where the sidewalk is actually on the narrow side, and then is further set back, angling northwards as it approaches Market Lane Park.

Now, how did the old market look in this regard?

From 2009:

1640615503484.png

In the older pic, the building to curb sidewalk ranges from 2.2M (barely the City minimum to ~9M on an angle before the corner cut-out

The new building.....you can't see correctly on the aerials............so let's look at the landscape plan:

1640616040286.png

For those reading along, all measurements are in MM unless otherwise indicated.

I read no extra space at the corner of Front and Jarvis, it looks like a bare minimum of 2.1M (not ideal, but I digress)

I don't see a material widening on Jarvis either.

Back