9EB213FE-4A3C-44C7-90AB-BD9CADD1D1C1.png

Starting to get Instagram ads for this now

That's one of the reasons the city is getting inferior design and subpar materials. Too many buyers, not enough supply. There is no incentive to provide nicer builds. It's going to sell, no matter what you put up.
I share the same theory. That's why we need planning policy to finally focus on design, because it ain't gonna happen on its own.

As I've said in the past in this place, I remain unconvinced that a committee can always agree on what constitutes great design. Nor am I convinced that it's even something that government should get into. Upholding standards? Sure. Arguing for better design, better execution? Sure. I just don't see a panel of people agreeing on a universally-held ideal of "design." In other words, it's not at all an easy target to hit.

As I've said in the past in this place, I remain unconvinced that a committee can always agree on what constitutes great design. Nor am I convinced that it's even something that government should get into. Upholding standards? Sure. Arguing for better design, better execution? Sure. I just don't see a panel of people agreeing on a universally-held ideal of "design." In other words, it's not at all an easy target to hit.
I tend to agree with you, however having some kind of panel/committee mandate better design standards would be better than the wild-wild west garbage we see being spewed across this city. Developers simply have no incentive to improve their designs with the current "standards".

And I really dont buy the non-sense some people say that improvements in design would directly cause unit prices to increase. The only reason they would increase is because developers would use it as an excuse to further jack up rates unnecessarily in order to "recoup costs". In other jurdisdictions, building designs are far superior for the most part but yet developers arent charging to the moon.

And I really dont buy the non-sense some people say that improvements in design would directly cause unit prices to increase.
I agree with you. Supply is the issue, and good design doesn't mean we should mandate luxurious finishes for every area of the city. At the very least, we should focus on the basics of pleasant design and get rid of the garbage that is landing all over the city. For some parts of the city and for very noticeable buildings, we should require great design.

Sorry if it's been addressed. Just waking up on the west coast and seeing these ads on my Instagram. First off no shocker here with the design. We all saw this coming from Concord.

Is the height still the same? 95 floors now? It looks much taller then Aura.

Very much this. And it’s also worthwhile to note that there are DRP panelists whose designs are often derided on this very forum.

That ad makes Aura look quite elegant.
You'll notice a trend of renders being in the dark or at dusk.

I'm convinced this is because it hides the actual materials on the building and the lights then make it appear elegant to our eyes thus making us give the building a pass when it does not deserve it.

I tend to agree with you, however having some kind of panel/committee mandate better design standards would be better than the wild-wild west garbage we see being spewed across this city. Developers simply have no incentive to improve their designs with the current "standards".

And I really dont buy the non-sense some people say that improvements in design would directly cause unit prices to increase. The only reason they would increase is because developers would use it as an excuse to further jack up rates unnecessarily in order to "recoup costs". In other jurdisdictions, building designs are far superior for the most part but yet developers arent charging to the moon.
No doubt in 50 years from now, the grandchildren of those who decry the design and aesthetics of this building will view it as a great example of early 21st century architecture and a true heritage piece. Regrettably, I won't live long enough to witness the transformation of this project from ugly duckling to one of iconic strength and beauty.

Back