There was a time I thought the NFL would come up here and this POV kind of made sense. I think that time has passed. The Bills aren't going anywhere, there's no sense the NFL is expanding soon, everyone here who loves the NFL already has their teams, there's nowhere to put a stadium etc. Yeah, the Argos are a niche team and so it feels like there's an opening, and I would never say never... but I don't see an NFL team or stadium happening here in the near future.
(At this point, I'd really settle for a full season of being able to attend home games for any of the 3 major franchises we have already!)

Agreed. I don't get the sense that's there's a very strong appetite for an NFL team here, same as there's no more groundswell of support to host the summer Olympics like there used to be once upon a time. Both are dead initiatives for the forseeable future. I've never met anyone who gives a damn - they all pretend to be football fans for 1 day of the year (superbowl) and ignore the sport outside of that. It's really overwhelmingly an American thing, and only got a bit of traction locally when that idiot Rob Ford pushed for it as mayor.

All of them. Point is anecdotal "good pulse" statements are essentially worthless.
Yeah I am sure.

Point is that the city has kind of passed you by. It's a much more international and cosmopolitan city with a diverse population who can support different type of sports including the NFL. Toronto will get an NFL Team. It's not a question of if but when. My Guess would be sometime in the 2030's

Truthfully all I care about is them updating the Bremner frontage/streetscape. Would it kill them to activate it with with bars, restaurants, a beer garden? Create a destination to go before and after the games? Get the Design Review Panel on this!

View attachment 371044

The DRP review submitted proposals, not suggest proposals to proponents.

AoD

The DRP review submitted proposals, not suggest proposals to proponents.

AoD
I am suggesting that CLC (landowner) or Rogers elect to have their Site Plan application for the renovations be subject to DRP Review. Federal land may be entirely exempt from Site Plan Control as per Planning Act. I am not sure on that one.

The Buffalo Bills value is predicated on relocation and sale; its an illusory number if you wish to keep the team there; its also only sustainable because NY State and the City of Buffalo are looking shovelling out upwards of 1.8B USD for a new
stadium for the bills.

I mean, the Bills sold to Pegula for $1.4B in 2014, predicated on them staying in Buffalo. And, yeah, they're now discussing a new stadium which will almost certainly have public funding. The specifics remain uncertain.

To buy them or another team and move them here and build a stadium would likely be around the $3B you say. Then we need an individual to do that. It's unlikely, certainly in the short term.

I am suggesting that CLC (landowner) or Rogers elect to have their Site Plan application for the renovations be subject to DRP Review. Federal land may be entirely exempt from Site Plan Control as per Planning Act. I am not sure on that one.

Probably not exempt - the Flyover Canada project right next door had to go to DRP.

AoD

I have a good pulse of this city and I know zero people in the city that have ever expressed interest in an NFL team, let alone regularly watched the NFL.
I live in Toronto and have plenty of nfl friends who would be interested. Now I am not suggesting me and say ten people I know represent the city on the other hand I’m going to wonder if your friends accurately represent the city either.

I live in Toronto and have plenty of nfl friends who would be interested. Now I am not suggesting me and say ten people I know represent the city on the other hand I’m going to wonder if your friends accurately represent the city either.

Toronto is not a football city. The failed buffalo bills experiment along with the argos prove that.

hey populus .. hint hint

fallen-toronto-01-intro-368x0-c-default.jpg

(minus the CN tower ruins)

I've found there's a lot of interest in the NFL in Southern Ontario, and I wouldn't be surprised if upwards of 1,000,000 people in Ontario watch at least one NFL game each week, but I've also noticed a huge swath of those people are primarily interested in it for gambling. That seems really linked to NFL fandom here. Of course, other sports are getting into that too now, as fast as they can as Ontario rolls out online betting, but it has always seemed a motivation behind the big NFL fans I know here, whether it's $20 on fantasy sports online, or a few hundred bucks between friends, money has always seemed to be on the board among the NFL fans with whom I am acquainted, going back two decades now.

Back