Honestly, at some point they will need to build a new stadium. There are only so many ways to modify the stadium to give a better fan experience. How many times have they done that already?

One reporter actually said the new stadium isn't off the table, but because it's going to take so long they need to do something faster to appease the current team which they expect to contend over the next 4-5 years.

I guess when they reveal what the reno's are next month, we'll get a better idea.

Honestly, at some point they will need to build a new stadium. There are only so many ways to modify the stadium to give a better fan experience. How many times have they done that already?
some modifications can be staggering. I don't think we will see that here but have a look at Angels Stadium now compared to what it was. It's the same stadium. It blows my mind.

some modifications can be staggering. I don't think we will see that here but have a look at Angels Stadium now compared to what it was. It's the same stadium. It blows my mind.

I agree, and there are some pretty smart engineers out there. I hope I'm wrong and 250 million goes way further. I mean the building was purchased for 25 million, so 250 million is maybe way more then what I think it is.

I agree, and there are some pretty smart engineers out there. I hope I'm wrong and 250 million goes way further. I mean the building was purchased for 25 million, so 250 million is maybe way more then what I think it is.

If it makes it any better, the team that redesigned the Dunedin complex is the same team that's going to take on the Rogers Centre Renos.
By all accounts, the redesigned Dunedin complex was a success.

Do any of us really have a sense of that?
The building is 30 years old but I would say all the "bones" are in very good shape. It's not like you get a shiver up your spine walking into the washrooms - they look brand new. The concourse areas aren't as open or varied as new stadium designs but they are still in good shape. You're not dodging leaky pipes or weird mouldy corners or anything like that.

The extra detail that came out yesterday suggested the priority is completely redoing the lower bowl, which makes sense. Better material for the seats and having them all pointing to the infield will make a big difference. Maybe they an even gut the rows and have a steeper rake? Other than that, my big ask would be anything they can do to open it to outside. Maybe it's taking out some of the north wall, maybe it's a glass roof; I'm open to suggestions. I've never had $250M so I don't know what you can do with it, but probably a fair bit (especially if that's not counting stuff being done now, like the new scoreboard).

And, yes, the 2008 Olympics bid included a stadium in the portlands. It can be done, in terms of the space. Clearly it wasn't worth moving out there for Rogers now and a lot of things will have to fall into place to make it worthwhile for an NFL franchise.

Structurally the building is in good shape and the location is ideal, but as someone who has worked there multiple seasons I have to mention that many of the behind-the-scenes areas of the stadium that are not customer facing are in poor shape with "leaky pipes and weird mouldy corners" 😂. Basically anything not seen by fans, players, or office personnel there was likely last on the list for renovation and much of it looks unchanged from the way it probably was decades ago - stains on the pastel-coloured walls, bathroom equipment broken for months on end without replacement, big chunks of foam missing from seating in instructional rooms, etc. In 2018 the 500 level concourse received a new paint job, refurbished bathrooms, even new grip-tape surfacing on the stairs for the seating areas, but it didn't trickle down to the service/maintenance areas at all. To be fair though, this last season we were moved out of one of our kitchens on the 500 level as (rumour had it, since no one could confirm 100%) the usual kitchen was getting a badly-needed overhaul. Which is to say hopefully replacing the missing ceiling tiles and broken fridges. 😝

Structurally the building is in good shape and the location is ideal, but as someone who has worked there multiple seasons I have to mention that many of the behind-the-scenes areas of the stadium that are not customer facing are in poor shape with "leaky pipes and weird mouldy corners" 😂. Basically anything not seen by fans, players, or office personnel there was likely last on the list for renovation and much of it looks unchanged from the way it probably was decades ago - stains on the pastel-coloured walls, bathroom equipment broken for months on end without replacement, big chunks of foam missing from seating in instructional rooms, etc. In 2018 the 500 level concourse received a new paint job, refurbished bathrooms, even new grip-tape surfacing on the stairs for the seating areas, but it didn't trickle down to the service/maintenance areas at all. To be fair though, this last season we were moved out of one of our kitchens on the 500 level as (rumour had it, since no one could confirm 100%) the usual kitchen was getting a badly-needed overhaul. Which is to say hopefully replacing the missing ceiling tiles and broken fridges. 😝

big-lebowski.gif

One reporter actually said the new stadium isn't off the table, but because it's going to take so long they need to do something faster to appease the current team which they expect to contend over the next 4-5 years.

I guess when they reveal what the reno's are next month, we'll get a better idea.
Yes - Stephen Brunt said a couple nights ago that he still expects a new stadium will be built at some point, this reno just pushes it down the road. Shi Davidi wrote today that if they do try to build a stadium south of the Skydome, as was rumoured, there are so many moving parts and complications that might take upwards of a decade to organise. Those guys are pretty plugged in (and work for Rogers), so I would imagine a new ballpark is still likely in Rogers medium/long term plans, we just won't see it anytime soon.

$250mm? can't do much. i suppose they should prioritize re-aligning the 100 level seating towards home plate, cut out some concrete and pop in some windows.

i would love them to knock out all the levels in the outfield except the 100 level, get rid of the hotel (probably requires a buy out), and put up a giant wall of glass. To me, trying to replicate what Miller Park would do the trick but i don't think $250mm would get us there.

this is rogers though, 80% of the funds will go towards corporate suites and other features most of us won't see.
Totally agree. I think the best case scenario with a major Skydome renovation is you totally redo the outfield and find a way to get glass panels in the outfield backdrop like you see at Miller Park or Marlins Park. But as you say, I feel like $250 million probably doesn't get you that! To be honest I wonder how big a difference you can make with $250 mil? Does it basically buy you all the chairs facing the right way, plus a couple new open areas to congregate? I can't find the link, but I remember a few years ago, Andrew Stoeten reported that the Jays had considering the idea of reorienting the field so that the left field foul line would essentially line up with the edge of the jumbotron. Would apparently make it easier to do some interesting things with the outfield that way. Wonder if that will be incorporated.

I expect this renovation to eventually turn into "we could only do so much, now we REALLY need a new stadium" in the hope that the climate for sponging off governments changes. Trying that during a pandemic had no chance. I can only imagine the intense lobbying of politicians by Rogers sycophants once Covid fades from view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine by the time a new stadium is actually critically needed, Rogers will sell out from owning the team and the replacement stadium will be a factor in the team's sale price.

This is all assuming dummy Edward Rogers isnt around when that time comes. If he is, well...who knows.

Start from the top and go down:

• The roof membrane was recently replaced, so they aren’t going to install transparent panels. Ceiling LED light effects would be cheap and cheerful
  • The 500 level is stuck as is. The seat pitch is determined by the poured concrete steps. Look for wider seats with cup holders and maybe permanently closing off the far outfield
  • The 400 and 300 level have waaay too many suites. 300 just got renovated, so maybe turn the 400 level into an open “Loge Level” like they have at Rogers Centre in Edmonton (4 movable seats around a table)
  • 200 level isn’t bad as is. Also can’t rearrange it for same reasons as 500
  • 100 is easily replaced by ripping out the tracked sections and starting over
  • The field could be lowered to create a steeper pitch
  • create an open concourse between a smaller/steeper 100 level and where 200 starts. Could also locate a Loge Level there
  • Field could be realigned to change its axis, making room for amenities or better bullpens
  • Under the stands, a significant amount probably needs to be spent on upgrades to team facilities
  • Hotel probably can’t go anywhere, so maybe add open balconies
  • Outside has lots of potential for development
  • If it’s anything like other Toronto “upgrades”, expect them to cover all the exterior concrete in glazing
  • Rogers probably also wants a way to get more bookings in the winter, and 50k is too large for most bands/sound sucks. They may add acoustic drop curtains like BC Place uses to block off the 500 level for concerts, as the Sky Tent concept didn’t really pan out
TL;DR expect most of the changes to happen at the 100 level, as it’s the only part not made of structural reinforced concrete

Last edited:
One factor I've been thinking about with the prospect of replacing this stadium is that the argument for not demolishing it due to the embodied carbon in it is only going to get stronger as the years go on and our climate crisis progresses.

One factor I've been thinking about with the prospect of replacing this stadium is that the argument for not demolishing it due to the embodied carbon in it is only going to get stronger as the years go on and our climate crisis progresses.
I doubt anybody is thinking about that when demolishing buildings. Do you know how much carbon is embedded in this stadium (or any building)?

Back