“If it’s anything like other Toronto “upgrades”, expect them to cover all the exterior concrete in glazing”

I wouldn’t waste a dime on the exterior. It’s what the inside experience is which matters.

Start from the top and go down:

• The 500 level is stuck as is. The seat pitch is determined by the poured concrete steps. Look for wider seats with cup holders and maybe permanently closing off the far outfield

In my mind, they almost have to get rid of the 500 level. They need to some how bring the walls down on the stadium to open it up. I know it sounds crazy, but you would not believe what they did to save Wrigley Field:

Last edited:
... Rogers probably also wants a way to get more bookings in the winter, and 50k is too large for most bands/sound sucks. They may add acoustic drop curtains like BC Place uses to block off the 500 level for concerts, as the Sky Tent concept didn’t really pan out ...
I think they decided several years ago that the stadium was only going to be used during the baseball season for the Blue Jays and a small number of full stadium concerts. The deal with the NFL Buffalo Bills had ended, the CFL Argonauts were going to BMO Field, and the other remaining indoor winter events like monster trucks and Disney On Ice soon ceased, presumably when their contracts expired. With few or no events to keep the stadium open, it probably makes financial sense to close it down for the entire off-season over the winter, not to mention the idea of trying to use it again for arena-sized concerts may be off the table because it would be competing against their MLSE venues.
One or both of the proposed year-round purpose-built entertainment venues at Exhibition/Ontario Place would also make the prospect even more unlikely.

Last edited:
The Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel is located inside the Rogers Centre. Could see the hotel expanded with more rooms suites.

38626370-6F98-4DD3-BEF7-4F322DA8F780.jpeg
A former coworker of mine just shared this pic on Facebook, taken from inside the Sportsnet Cafe:

Currently pulled permits for the Dome:

1640716565146.png

1640716591124.png

There are a few more tied to the project immediately above.

No other projects that require (City) permits, that I can discern.

Note that electrical permits go through the ESA, not the City.

Currently pulled permits for the Dome:

View attachment 371821

View attachment 371822

There are a few more tied to the project immediately above.

No other projects that require (City) permits, that I can discern.

Note that electrical permits go through the ESA, not the City.

Can you translate? What does this mean exactly? Fire pump upgrade and HVOC work???

That doesn't effect the fan experience. Or is there more to this?

Can you translate? What does this mean exactly? Fire pump upgrade and HVOC work???

That doesn't effect the fan experience. Or is there more to this?

HVAC is Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning.

And no, I would not expect those changes to be material to the fan experience.

Any changes for fans will be in the subsequent, larger renos to be unveiled, likely in Q1 2022.

View attachment 371820A former coworker of mine just shared this pic on Facebook, taken from inside the Sportsnet Cafe:
Interested in seeing how the new scoreboard reno turns out. Looks like the new screen will be larger and some of the LED screens will be replaced. Perhaps a new fan area will be constructed in that space as well.

In terms of the $250MM reno plans, I'd say this pic is indicative that substantial components of the facility can be gutted and rebuilt, especially the outfield and hotel areas. As others have pointed out, the 100 level seating bowl will likely be the focus of the renovations with a new orientation, seating replacements (cupholders, please!), premium seating and areas underneath the bowl a la Scotiabank.

An Athletic article a few years back mentioned the possibility of reorienting the field to face NE towards the CN Tower which would allow for a new outfield plaza/entrance on the NE side of the stadium. Doing so would require reorienting the roof as well which was apparently investigated. That would likely be cost prohibitive IMO. New 100 level seating and fan spaces is still a major plus as both are long overdue. Our lower bowl seating is some of the worst in the Majors.

Interested in seeing how the new scoreboard reno turns out. Looks like the new screen will be larger and some of the LED screens will be replaced. Perhaps a new fan area will be constructed in that space as well.

In terms of the $250MM reno plans, I'd say this pic is indicative that substantial components of the facility can be gutted and rebuilt, especially the outfield and hotel areas. As others have pointed out, the 100 level seating bowl will likely be the focus of the renovations with a new orientation, seating replacements (cupholders, please!), premium seating and areas underneath the bowl a la Scotiabank.

An Athletic article a few years back mentioned the possibility of reorienting the field to face NE towards the CN Tower which would allow for a new outfield plaza/entrance on the NE side of the stadium. Doing so would require reorienting the roof as well which was apparently investigated. That would likely be cost prohibitive IMO. New 100 level seating and fan spaces is still a major plus as both are long overdue. Our lower bowl seating is some of the worst in the Majors.

i was under the impression that nobody really wants those suites under the seats because of the optics. have more stadiums/arenas put those in after Scotia? they seemed like a good idea but now the platinum section at the Raptors and leafs game always look half empty. I've been to a few games in those suites and i always lose track of time in them and the game has started. the upper boxes that you can watch the game from are far better in my opinion.

i was under the impression that nobody really wants those suites under the seats because of the optics. have more stadiums/arenas put those in after Scotia? they seemed like a good idea but now the platinum section at the Raptors and leafs game always look half empty. I've been to a few games in those suites and i always lose track of time in them and the game has started. the upper boxes that you can watch the game from are far better in my opinion.
With due respect, your interpretation of those suites/restaurants is far from the reality. The subterranean suites are the new norm in all modern sports & entertainment facilities. The gist of it is that corporations and key sponsors buy them up which increases gate revenues. In down years, key executives/clients pass them down the corporate and/or client hierarchy as the corporations are typically the ones purchasing the suites/tickets. One of the few true examples of trickle-down economics in action.

Back