Gosh, we need another thread for the proposed Crosstown West extension from Renforth station to Pearson station.
ECWE_updated_map.jpg

Eglinton West West Extension. Would they ever build an LRT along Eglinton in Mississauga?

Eglinton West West Extension. Would they ever build an LRT along Eglinton in Mississauga?
Because they want MOAR trains?

The Transitway has full LRT standards, so they don't need new structures for LRT. Although, given Ottawa's experience with that, I don't think it will happen for a while.

Because they want MOAR trains?

The Transitway has full LRT standards, so they don't need new structures for LRT. Although, given Ottawa's experience with that, I don't think it will happen for a while.
Much of Ottawa's trouble was in the tunnelled sections, where there was no pre-existing transitway, and a lot of new structures. Well, they've had vehicle/signal issues since - but presumably they'll have ironed that out on Line 5 after a decade of operation.

Much of Ottawa's trouble was in the tunnelled sections, where there was no pre-existing transitway, and a lot of new structures. Well, they've had vehicle/signal issues since - but presumably they'll have ironed that out on Line 5 after a decade of operation.
I meant the disruption to transit riders during construction.

I mean
they better have ironed it out
before the line opens, considering the decade of construction.

The Mississauga Transitway is a GO thing and unless GO has more branch LRT Lines, you may see an LRT on it by 2060. Ridership from Renforth was to be 15,000 per peak hour by 2040 and it will never be met. Math said 15000 divide by 80 equal 188 buses per hour that will never happen given there is a bus every 18 second. Even at 10,000 per hour, still need 125 buses every 30 seconds

Mississauga ridership at peak time was 1200 pre COVID per hour,

Any thought of having an LRT on Eglinton west of Renforth to 403 is decades down the road around 2060 plus.

Like Ottawa Busway, the Mississauga Transitway will have to be shut down in phases to do the conversion to allow both buses and LRT to use the ROW

I stated in 2004 based on inflated numbers for GO ridership, you need an LRT on Day and that never happen

Until The Mississauga Transitway is a full true LRT ROW, you can get an LRT line to Square One only and only to Winston Churchill once there is a full true BRT/LRT for the current one.

In the end, 3 LRV are require running every 3 minutes for 15000 riders.

Its a dream that will not be seen by most of this board members.

He's going to lose his mind when he realized Eglinton East now includes the old Transit City Sheppard East LRT, from Nielsen to Morningside, and the link to Malvern. And maybe even all the way west to McCowan.
eelrt-transit-network-updated.jpg
Shhh 🤫

Our Premier is not a railfan who has actual opinions about modes. He's in it for being the one in control, and for getting those sweet sweet construction industry kickbacks. He has no plans to ever visit Malvern, and so what happens east of McCowan is not his problem. He just wants maximum development dollars in the likely bit of Sheppard for development, which is between the DVP and McCowan and far away from the EELRT on this map. Don't confuse rhetoric and marketing with an actual opinion. He'll tell you up is down today and that down is up tomorrow.

Shhh 🤫

Our Premier is not a railfan who has actual opinions about modes. He's in it for being the one in control, and for getting those sweet sweet construction industry kickbacks. He has no plans to ever visit Malvern, and so what happens east of McCowan is not his problem. He just wants maximum development dollars in the likely bit of Sheppard for development, which is between the DVP and McCowan and far away from the EELRT on this map. Don't confuse rhetoric and marketing with an actual opinion. He'll tell you up is down today and that down is up tomorrow.
TBH I don't mind if Ford is getting kickbacks or favors. As long as some more positive infrastructure is being built I am happy. We have the Ontario Line, Yonge North, EGW LRT and SSE which are all long overdue projects finally hitting the ground running. If that means Ford gets a kick back who cares its part of politics. At least Ford is getting stuff done for new transportation infrastructure compared to Del luca when he was minster of transportation (btw I am a liberal and I am saying this)

Shhh 🤫

Doug's brother Rob cared about his constituents, including going door to door in the Morningside and Ellesmere area after he had been elected with nothing to gain from it

Doug's brother Rob cared about his constituents, including going door to door in the Morningside and Ellesmere area after he had been elected with nothing to gain from it
Hey, I think it's high time we started a Rob Ford thread. We can talk about all of these he did, but we'll use the present tense.

TBH I don't mind if Ford is getting kickbacks or favors. As long as some more positive infrastructure is being built I am happy. We have the Ontario Line, Yonge North, EGW LRT and SSE which are all long overdue projects finally hitting the ground running. If that means Ford gets a kick back who cares its part of politics. At least Ford is getting stuff done for new transportation infrastructure compared to Del luca when he was minster of transportation (btw I am a liberal and I am saying this)

Kickbacks are illegal, and we have laws for a reason. The willingness to turn a blind eye to what is patently wrong just spoke to how low we are willing to go - and I am not sure what is more disturbing - politicians blatantly engaging in the practice, or citizens overtly advocating for/supporting it.

AoD

Last edited:

If Ford is getting a kickback then Del Duca was also getting kickbacks after he tried to push a GO station in his riding. Del Duca is as a corrupt as anybody out there. Ford is not perfect but on the transit file I will back him. He has done more in less than 4 years than the Liberals did in 15 years. Projects which languished under the Liberals are now getting built from the Ontario Line, Yonge North expansion, Eglinton West LRT, GO transit expansion, and Scarborough Subway.

Ford has done several things with transit:

1) He got the city of of building rapid transit. When it comes to building transit, the city is influenced too much by individual councillors and NIMBYs. We saw how the city screwed up the Crosstown LRT by getting that useless Sunnybrook Park stop put back after Metrolinx wanted to eliminate and continue the tunnel all the way to the Science Centre station. We could have had a grade seperated line from the Airport all the way to the Don Mills. Metrolinx wanted to also eliminate the Aga Khan stop but the city got reinstated.This stop is literally right next to the Science Centre stop. The city is obsessed with putting too many stops on the lines. They think rapid transit is the same as a streetcar. They wanted to do the same thing with the western extension to the airport by putting it in the middle of the street. Good thing the province got involved. The province overdid by putting it underground. It should have been elevated but I'll take it. The city can continue to build streetcar lines, that's their speciality.

2) He put more pressure on the federal government to contribute more to transit projects in the GTA. The Feds seems to be putting more money into transit in the GTA than they were doing previously.

3) Building elevated transit. Toronto has been obsessed with either putting transit underground or putting it on the street and this seems to be changing. More transit is getting elevated and this bodes well for future and expansions and also controlling costs.

Just based on transit file, I will vote for Ford. I voted for Trudeau in the last election and mostly vote Liberals provincial and federal but upcoming election Ford has my vote. He gets shit done.

Back