Hi everyone. I bought a condo here and I am new to Toronto. In your opinion, when is the building likely to be finished and occupancy allowed? We are told August. Is this realistic?
Hey, welcome to UT and welcome to Toronto! I am not an expert either, but I agree with Albert C, August seems perhaps a bit ambitious.
For what it’s worth, I live up the street from this project, and think it will look fantastic upon completion, so should be well worth the wait, whatever it ends up being. The major concern re: completion timeline in my mind would be the complete absence of exterior cladding (Not including windows) As I believe was mentioned a few pages back, one starts to suspect that perhaps due to pandemic related supply chain issues (?) or other issues, that maybe something has been delayed to the point where who really knows when this thing might be ready for tenants? I’m not talking 2025, but Jan/Feb 2023 wouldn‘t shock me, especially the longer the white cladding takes to arrive.
Also, as per the front page story about recent completions in Jan, Panda, near Yonge-Dundas has opened residency to the first 6 floors. I never thought of it as being staggered, but I guess that makes sense, and could happen here.
Not trying to throw shade at the developer here, I think this project is great.

Highly doubtful for an august move-in. Also, being marketed as a more premium development has me believing the interiors will take a bit longer, plus all the building supply bottlenecks.... they always have contractors in on Saturdays though... you never know! Today:
20220205_104857.jpg

Thank you all for the input, it's been really useful. I have had great experience with the developer so far but they have not been very forthcoming about whether August is still doable. It's been tough trying to sort out temporary accommodation from 1 May until I get possession of the place as most landlord look for a minimum of 1 year lease, so trying to see how to balance the gamble here and perhaps negotiate a 9-month lease or something. I have my furniture and a lot of personal belongings so Airbnb for a year won't cut it. Any advice here would be great.

Thank you all for the input, it's been really useful. I have had great experience with the developer so far but they have not been very forthcoming about whether August is still doable. It's been tough trying to sort out temporary accommodation from 1 May until I get possession of the place as most landlord look for a minimum of 1 year lease, so trying to see how to balance the gamble here and perhaps negotiate a 9-month lease or something. I have my furniture and a lot of personal belongings so Airbnb for a year won't cut it. Any advice here would be great.

If your current contract ends in May then I would try to sort out a 9-month lease somewhere if possible. When it comes to condo completion/occupancy dates, I would say planning for the reasonably pessimistic side would be a safer bet. As I think that barring any major interruptions, the building should be likely ready somewhere in the 6 to 9 months after May range. While a full 12-month lease would probably veer towards being excessive.

If you're already renting somewhere and have been for more than a year, even if the landlord wants you to sign a renewal lease, legally you do not have to and the rental automatically converts to month-to-month under the residential tenancies act, and you cannot be kicked out so long as you keep paying the rent and there are no other legal grounds for eviction.

In other words, if you already are renting somewhere, you should just stay there without signing another lease.

If your current contract ends in May then I would try to sort out a 9-month lease somewhere if possible. When it comes to condo completion/occupancy dates, I would say planning for the reasonably pessimistic side would be a safer bet. As I think that barring any major interruptions, the building should be likely ready somewhere in the 6 to 9 months after May range. While a full 12-month lease would probably veer towards being excessive.
If you're already renting somewhere and have been for more than a year, even if the landlord wants you to sign a renewal lease, legally you do not have to and the rental automatically converts to month-to-month under the residential tenancies act, and you cannot be kicked out so long as you keep paying the rent and there are no other legal grounds for eviction.

In other words, if you already are renting somewhere, you should just stay there without signing another lease.
Thank you both. Unfortunately, I am staying at an Airbnb for now and have to sort something out for May start.

UPDATE: Got a letter today to confirm that the roof slab of the building has been completed and as such the Final Tentative Occupancy Date has now been set to 22 November 2022. Does this mean it's almost guaranteed that the move-in date will be in November?

UPDATE: Got a letter today to confirm that the roof slab of the building has been completed and as such the Final Tentative Occupancy Date has now been set to 22 November 2022. Does this mean it's almost guaranteed that the move-in date will be in November?
No. Likely, it will be pushed past that date. That is not a final move-in date. You probably have a giant asterisk with covid after it on your received communication? Not much closure to be found in that, however I will keep providing photos when I can. My building PM just advised that the crane will be coming down over the weekend.

Reactions: YYP

Back