News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is bold even for the CAQ, and I'm surprised they'd stomp on a transit project in Québec City so close to an election.

Of course the nationalists are scrambling to defend the CAQ now. I really thought the tram was politically safe.
That's because even in Quebec City CAQ gets its votes from the suburbs. the urban neighbourhoods of QC are Québec Solidaire.

No one is defending CAQ on this one though

There will always be hard-liners who won't sway. They also tend to be the ones we hear about the most, but I can tell you a lot of people agree with the changes. I personally do. I think CDPQi and the government got the message and that's the important part. I'm involved in a community group here in Ville-Marie opposed to the project as a whole and after the last announcement they lost a lot of people who are actually happy with what's proposed.

A minister literally said that the mayor was "polluting" the lives of drivers in his city and complained that the tramway project will make it longer for people from outside Quebec City to come and visit... This government is out of control.
Not just a minister, the minister of transportation... I still don't support the project though. At least in other cities LRT is for adding density, it won't be the case for Quebec cities.

Not just a minister, the minister of transportation... I still don't support the project though. At least in other cities LRT is for adding density, it won't be the case for Quebec cities.
LRT's purpose is to transport passengers, development is an added bonus. If the Quebec tramway would have gotten ridership (I don't know the ridership projections), then it would have been successful. 'Adding density' is the worst primary goal for a transit project.

LRT's purpose is to transport passengers, development is an added bonus. If the Quebec tramway would have gotten ridership (I don't know the ridership projections), then it would have been successful. 'Adding density' is the worst primary goal for a transit project.
At 4G$ for glorified buses, it will probably have the worst ROI of any transport project in Canada. The objective is not even to transport people efficiently, it's to have a streetcar cause the European cities do. That's an even worse objective than density.

Last edited:
That's because even in Quebec City CAQ gets its votes from the suburbs. the urban neighbourhoods of QC are Québec Solidaire.

No one is defending CAQ on this one though
Seems the project will die, the CAQ now wants a referendum on the project. I don't expect it to pass.

Seems the project will die, the CAQ now wants a referendum on the project. I don't expect it to pass.
Calm down. It's some random minister who said that the project needs 50%+1 support in the population. He said that on Tuesday morning. On Tuesday afternoon, when the Premier himself was asked about this, he contradicted his ministers and said he would authorize the decree and just said the project needs community support.

MAJOR EDIT: The decree was issued by the government without any conditions, meaning the City of Québec can go forward with RFPs for rolling stock procurement and design-build of the infrastructure. The decree also provides the City with $124 million for preparatory work.

Last edited:
Quebec-tramway-2021-05-03-nouvelle-portion-trace-carte-e1620220624750.jpg

Back