I'm not sure, I'm just saying that's the only place I see room where the could do it, but that's why I'm saying they would have to figure out some kind of swap if that's possible. It's not like there's some historic building sitting on that land. Just old rail cars that can be easily moved.

As someone who has actually moved those railway cars. Trust me. They are not easily moved.

4803 and 7020 have been sitting for decades and can't move under their own power.

Also, they were moved there when there was an active rail line. You can move cars onto a flatbed and away from the park but it's not exactly easy.

I recall having moved a few railway cars by hand at the park. We had to bar them over inch by inch.

As someone who has actually moved those railway cars. Trust me. They are not easily moved.

4803 and 7020 have been sitting for decades and can't move under their own power.

Also, they were moved there when there was an active rail line. You can move cars onto a flatbed and away from the park but it's not exactly easy.

I recall having moved a few railway cars by hand at the park. We had to bar them over inch by inch.

Thewy can be moved.....

Trust me. They are never leaving that park.

I highly doubt it too seeing as this was just a totally hypothetical scenario....lol.. Just saying it's the only place with some space in that area...lol, and if by some chance if there could be such an arrangement, I promise you the issue of how to move those rail cars would not even be on the radar screen...lol.

I highly doubt it too seeing as this was just a totally hypothetical scenario....lol.. Just saying it's the only place with some space in that area...lol, and if by some chance if there could be such an arrangement, I promise you the issue of how to move those rail cars would not even be on the radar screen...lol.

Keep in mind as well that the Convention Centre parking lot runs directly underneath and a newly built transformer station sits on the property.

I can guarantee you with 1000% certainty that Roundhouse park will not be redeveloped and that the next stadium will not be where it is now.

This question is for anyone, so ignoring whatever thoughts you may have on whether or not a new stadium should exist, gun to your head, where would you build it?

This question is for anyone, so ignoring whatever thoughts you may have on whether or not a new stadium should exist, gun to your head, where would you build it?

I still think the Port Lands is an idea they're toying with.

Exhibition place is the only other logical place. It’s not perfect but it isn’t no man’s land.
I'm sure Ford will try and promote it to go there to help with the exhibition station for the Ontario Line?
I love the location of the current one. Another hard thing is let's say it is built anywhere else. What do you do with the current one? The Stadium is a staple in Toronto's Global view/ and our identity pretty much. At least from the "post card" perspective. Would be very odd to tear it down. (Not saying it won't happen, but would be a major change.)

Has anyone considered building an island in the middle of the lake like they did with Ontario Place?

With all the condos going up, no doubt there is enough backfill. If the island is purpose built, no doubt they can build adequate pedestrian connections to it. Really, the only issue would be blocking the ferries.

not sure why people keep bringing up the island. what's the benefit there? the view? the view is nice but should take a back seat to absolutely everything else. I love the view at PNC park for about 10 minutes before the game starts then I focus on the game. I go to maybe 20 games a year and if they ever moved this thing to the island, i'd probably go to less than half of what i go to now even though it's a shiny new stadium. the bottleneck in and out of that area would be insane. Even if you build a bridge, that's still one way in and one way out. No thank you.

The current dome has a couple ways in and out and is at Union station and it's still tough to get out of there after a game. Ever been to F1 in Montreal? I imagine putting the stadium on the island would be like that for exiting.

Has anyone considered building an island in the middle of the lake like they did with Ontario Place?

With all the condos going up, no doubt there is enough backfill. If the island is purpose built, no doubt they can build adequate pedestrian connections to it. Really, the only issue would be blocking the ferries.
I don't think MLB or the union would like it own the island.

I don't think MLB or the union would like it own the island.
I believe @Richard White is suggesting a brand new island, as opposed to locating it on any of the existing Toronto Islands. I assume such an endeavour would require working with the feds as it would change the navigable waters in lake Ontario. Building such a thing in the harbour might also need to go through PortsToronto.

Given that Ontario Place exists, it's not impossible. The tricky part is going to revolve around logistics of moving everything needed to run a stadium, getting players there in a style to which they are accustomed, and moving large numbers of fans to and from. I suspect if there isn't some kind of fixed link for both vehicles and transit, it's not a solution they'd be willing to explore. Ontario Place got the vehicles part, but transit leaves a lot to be desired.

I believe @Richard White is suggesting a brand new island, as opposed to locating it on any of the existing Toronto Islands. I assume such an endeavour would require working with the feds as it would change the navigable waters in lake Ontario. Building such a thing in the harbour might also need to go through PortsToronto.

Given that Ontario Place exists, it's not impossible. The tricky part is going to revolve around logistics of moving everything needed to run a stadium, getting players there in a style to which they are accustomed, and moving large numbers of fans to and from. I suspect if there isn't some kind of fixed link for both vehicles and transit, it's not a solution they'd be willing to explore. Ontario Place got the vehicles part, but transit leaves a lot to be desired.
A brand new island would cost a ton and would face push back by many groups.

Back