Western Mechanical out of Barrie has emerged with a number of innovative heavy engineering project solutions over the past several years - many of them involving rail.

Getting close!

F244350F-FD53-4393-B81E-92E85D4FDE24.jpeg
6AB76E14-A32D-423A-B0F1-9E97E13A1D62.jpeg
70ECEF8B-8866-4AED-A360-74AD1690D3CA.jpeg
9BC91F94-6E9F-4845-8971-61B7EA6D77F6.jpeg
9F15C0BE-928A-49E3-BA8C-6F18471A2424.jpeg

Once they start on the bridge over Wallace, they're going to temporarily close the crossing, right? If so, is that just vehicular or all traffic?

Once they start on the bridge over Wallace, they're going to temporarily close the crossing, right? If so, is that just vehicular or all traffic?
Guessing it would be briefly(?) closed to everyone for a bit. I wonder how long it will be closed for though - Just need to lift the spans into place. Does any of the work after that require closure?

Guessing it would be briefly(?) closed to everyone for a bit. I wonder how long it will be closed for though - Just need to lift the spans into place. Does any of the work after that require closure?
I recall seeing something during planning that Wallace would need to be lowered for vehicular traffic, which is what I'm referencing.

Another thing, I noticed in @ProjectEnd 's first photo that the boom gate looks like it comes above the level of the bridge. I suspect they'd have to fix that if they intended traffic after they start work on the bridge, which is why I think they just intend to close it all when they start.

I recall seeing something during planning that Wallace would need to be lowered for vehicular traffic, which is what I'm referencing.

Another thing, I noticed in @ProjectEnd 's first photo that the boom gate looks like it comes above the level of the bridge. I suspect they'd have to fix that if they intended traffic after they start work on the bridge, which is why I think they just intend to close it all when they start.
This earlier document places the clearance at Wallace Ave at 4.4 meters, which is somewhat higher than the legendary 3.5m "canopener" bridges.

This more recent document makes no mention of any work to lower the roadway, and the renders show the roadway as level.

So, I'm guessing that ML does not intend to lower the roadway at the Wallace underpass.

If there is a lowering needed, the clearance will be restricted from the moment that the first span is installed, but the road can't then be lowered until after the track is moved onto the bridge, meaning the bridge must be fully completed and the old track removed before any excavation is begun.... that would imply a lengthy closure. With nothing being said publicly to prepare people for that, I am doubly confident that the roadway will be left as is. (Would Metrolinx wait until the last minute to announce an unpopular closure? Surely not....)

- Paul

Last edited:
March 31
Finally got the weather to do a tour of the site.

The last girder to go over Bloor St will be place tonight. No centre pier with a full clear street.

In the next week or so, the first 2 girders will be place over Dupont and you can see the bearing on top of the 4 piers. The north girder is on the mobile mover that will travel up the rail corridor for placement. Once that girder is off the mover, it will pickup the 2nd one currently sitting on piers. Once those girders are in place, 2 more will be brought of the yard to be place where the 2 currently are.

The 4 columns at Dupont for girder been place have haft the form on them with bracing between them. Lift in place for placing the girders.

No one seems to know or refusing to say what will happen to the crossing gate at Wallace Ave, but the crossing will be close while girders are been place. The road maybe close for a few days, but pedestrians will be allow to cross when it clear to do so. Before any thing happen, they have to build the north pier to support the girders.

Photos to follow.

So many photos, is there an "abridged" version of that post? :p

(Thanks drum, love it!)
That is the abridged, as there are 56 photos and didn't have time to finish the shooting of the area. You are welcome

Back