I believe @Richard White is suggesting a brand new island, as opposed to locating it on any of the existing Toronto Islands. I assume such an endeavour would require working with the feds as it would change the navigable waters in lake Ontario. Building such a thing in the harbour might also need to go through PortsToronto.

Given that Ontario Place exists, it's not impossible. The tricky part is going to revolve around logistics of moving everything needed to run a stadium, getting players there in a style to which they are accustomed, and moving large numbers of fans to and from. I suspect if there isn't some kind of fixed link for both vehicles and transit, it's not a solution they'd be willing to explore. Ontario Place got the vehicles part, but transit leaves a lot to be desired.

That was exactly it. I was proposing building a new island in the middle of the lake to host the stadium.

It would provide both a great view and the required land. The problem would be as you said, access.

not sure why people keep bringing up the island. what's the benefit there? the view? the view is nice but should take a back seat to absolutely everything else. I love the view at PNC park for about 10 minutes before the game starts then I focus on the game. I go to maybe 20 games a year and if they ever moved this thing to the island, i'd probably go to less than half of what i go to now even though it's a shiny new stadium. the bottleneck in and out of that area would be insane. Even if you build a bridge, that's still one way in and one way out. No thank you.

The current dome has a couple ways in and out and is at Union station and it's still tough to get out of there after a game. Ever been to F1 in Montreal? I imagine putting the stadium on the island would be like that for exiting.
I think some people think it’s cheaper to go to a blue jay game than to buy a ticket to the CN tower.

Clearly the easiest answer is to build the new stadium where the SkyDome currently is:

1. Take the roof off SkyDome
2. Build a flat platform on top of the existing stadium
3. Build the new stadium on top of the platform
4. Demolish SkyDome
5. Lower the new stadium into place

Don't forget to add long ladders while the new stadium is open and until it gets lowered!

Clearly the easiest answer is to build the new stadium where the SkyDome currently is:

1. Take the roof off SkyDome
2. Build a flat platform on top of the existing stadium
3. Build the new stadium on top of the platform
4. Demolish SkyDome
5. Lower the new stadium into place

Don't forget to add long ladders while the new stadium is open and until it gets lowered!

LOL If only.

I prefer to fill the Rogers Centre with water and recreate naval battles.

LOL If only.

I prefer to fill the Rogers Centre with water and recreate naval battles.
82165334_10157601451841233_5622405034219143168_n.jpeg

not sure why people keep bringing up the island. what's the benefit there? the view?

I bring up the island just as an idea of where they might be able to build and still be close to the downtown core. They could build at the Port Lands, but any new stadium is likely going to try to create views, no matter how silly you might think that is, as more and more stadiums still want to give you that feeling you're outside, which has always been the one criticism of the dome. And some of the more modern roofed stadiums made attempts to make their stadiums feel more open

Safeco has that large cutout which shows off the skyline

safecofield.jpg

as does Minute Maid park

MinueMaidPark_Sunset_Houstonia_May_2021__1_of_1__lqeqqg

I think either of these stadiums would be ideal in terms of domed stadiums. If it were built on the Port Lands, though, I'd at least hope it would be built closer to the water.

39397-130870.jpg

Here maybe? Would have a view and also near the streetcar (ish) when built. Plus wouldn't change the current Port Lands work.
Even though I would miss Rebel (small percentage of us lol)

View attachment 388586
Rebel is needed if I’m being honest. I’ll be very sad when we lose our very last super club. And non-club goers should too, it’s a part of every major city.

Rebel is needed if I’m being honest. I’ll be very sad when we lose our very last super club. And non-club goers should too, it’s a part of every major city.

I am old enough to remember clubs like Fez Batik, Kool Haus, Guvernment, Menage, Circa, Republik and Maison Mercer. Hell I even went to Guvernment and Circa a few times.

Torontos club scene is dead and has been for years. One club does not a club scene make.

Had you seen it in its heyday, trust me you'd be wishing it was still here.

I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of Rebel.

Here maybe? Would have a view and also near the streetcar (ish) when built. Plus wouldn't change the current Port Lands work.
Even though I would miss Rebel (small percentage of us lol)

View attachment 388586
One key thing to remember with MLB ballparks is the home plate orientation.
When/wherever the Blue Jays build their next ballpark, they would most likely revert to the standard NE orientation to prevent the sun hitting the batter's eye. Currently, we see only Houston and Toronto have a NNW orientation, but with the dome being a retractable bunker, this issue is somewhat mitigated (plus Houston's roof is closed about ~ 2/3s of their home games).

In the Portlands, a NE orientation would put the outfield view of a new ballpark to the direction of the mouth of the Don River, skyline essentially hidden in sight.
BallParkOrientation2.jpg

I bring up the island just as an idea of where they might be able to build and still be close to the downtown core. They could build at the Port Lands, but any new stadium is likely going to try to create views, no matter how silly you might think that is, as more and more stadiums still want to give you that feeling you're outside, which has always been the one criticism of the dome. And some of the more modern roofed stadiums made attempts to make their stadiums feel more open

Safeco has that large cutout which shows off the skyline

safecofield.jpg

as does Minute Maid park

MinueMaidPark_Sunset_Houstonia_May_2021__1_of_1__lqeqqg

I think either of these stadiums would be ideal in terms of domed stadiums. If it were built on the Port Lands, though, I'd at least hope it would be built closer to the water.

39397-130870.jpg
i disagree that all new ballparks are looking for a view. The ones you provided do but you're also cherry picking. Look at Miller Park and the terrible Marlins Park.

I think Miller Park is beautiful and i love the configuration and the glass wall. A view would be desirable but it should take a back seat to everything else.

i feel like the portlands would be the "Mistake by the Lake part deux" unless they closed it off a bit. I was at the Canada MNT vs Jamaica WCQ match on Sunday on the East Side upper 200 level and holy smokes the wind was HOWLING up there.

One key thing to remember with MLB ballparks is the home plate orientation.
When/wherever the Blue Jays build their next ballpark, they would most likely revert to the standard NE orientation to prevent the sun hitting the batter's eye. Currently, we see only Houston and Toronto have a NNW orientation, but with the dome being a retractable bunker, this issue is somewhat mitigated (plus Houston's roof is closed about ~ 2/3s of their home games).

In the Portlands, a NE orientation would put the outfield view of a new ballpark to the direction of the mouth of the Don River, skyline essentially hidden in sight.
View attachment 388620
I do remember this now, thank you. In that case for a proper location to keep the DT in view would need to be West of the CN Tower. Aka...Exhibition Place, or if Billy bishop closed (doubtful). Not much free land anywhere else, unless they buy a whole neighbourhood.

Back