In that case for a proper location to keep the DT in view would need to be West of the CN Tower. Aka...Exhibition Place, or if Billy bishop closed (doubtful). Not much free land anywhere else, unless they buy a whole neighbourhood.

Try this on for size............

I hear there's some 'air' for lease/purchase just west of the Dome over a railway corridor.

If the Jays can finance the new stadium, and signed a 125 year lease w/the proponents to finance the deck, you could put the new stadium there.

You could then replace the Dome with a 10 acre park with a good shape, that isn't strata, meaning you could plant trees to grow for the long term.

In the above scenario, the City gets out of spending a bundle on a new rail deck park.

The Jays get a new stadium site within 3 blocks of their current location, downtown.

The City picks up the land lease from Canada Lands Co for the Dome site, and eats only the cost of demolition and a new park.

Last edited:

I hear there's some 'air' for lease/purchase just west of the Dome over a railway corridor.

If the Jays can finance the new stadium, and signed a 125 year lease w/the proponents to finance the deck, you could put the new stadium there.

You could then replace the Dome with a 10 acre park with a good shape, that isn't strata, meaning you could plant trees to grow for the long term.

In the above scenario, the City gets out of spending a bundle on a new rail deck park.

The Jays get a new stadium site within 3 blocks of their current location, downtown.

The City picks up the land lease from Canada Lands Co for the Dome site, and eats only the cost of demolition and a new park.
But what about the picturesque world class view?

I do like this and did a quick overlay. While it sounds like a good idea, I think the locations might need a ton of massaging to fit a similar sized stadium over the railway lands. Possible to take some plots of land on the north of the tracks to make it work.

*Quick boxes for size, as I did not scale anything from other MLB parks that might be smaller than the dome. (I did cut off a bit for that reason).

SkyDome.JPG

I do like this and did a quick overlay. While it sounds like a good idea, I think the locations might need a ton of massaging to fit a similar sized stadium over the railway lands. Possible to take some plots of land on the north of the tracks to make it work.

*Quick boxes for size, as I did not scale anything from other MLB parks that might be smaller than the dome. (I did cut off a bit for that reason).

View attachment 388644

Good work!

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree.

I tested the idea of a smaller stadium using Progressive Field in Cleveland.

The shorter side is 200M That's the key number, because there's plenty of E-W distance over the corridor.

The N-S span of the corridor is ~115M in most spots. Finding an extra 85M would be brutal. Even at Ordanance Triangle Park, the widest part of the corridor you're only at ~170M

You don't get any more space over at GO's Don yard in the east end either.

Here I thought I was on to something......

I actually played around with removing some adjacent buildings (which obviously impairs the economics); but there really aren't any that would/could get removed where it works out well.

Last edited:
i disagree that all new ballparks are looking for a view. The ones you provided do but you're also cherry picking. Look at Miller Park and the terrible Marlins Park.

I think Miller Park is beautiful and i love the configuration and the glass wall. A view would be desirable but it should take a back seat to everything else.

i feel like the portlands would be the "Mistake by the Lake part deux" unless they closed it off a bit. I was at the Canada MNT vs Jamaica WCQ match on Sunday on the East Side upper 200 level and holy smokes the wind was HOWLING up there.

I never said "all" new ballparks, I said "some" , and if I'm cherry picking it's because I'm specifically talking about the nicer stadiums that have a roof.

And Millers Park is hideous.

View attachment 388644
Wow, I always thought the Exhibition Place parking lot could be an easy backup option if they can't rebuild immediately south of the dome but that's a tighter fit than I realised.

Wow, I always thought the Exhibition Place parking lot could be an easy backup option if they can't rebuild immediately south of the dome but that's a tighter fit than I realised.

It used to be. Exhibition Stadium used to be in what is now a parking lot. Part of the stadiums footprint is where BMO Field is currently.

Lots of good thoughts unfolding here. For my part, I think the three most plausible scenarios, broadly in order of my personal preference, would be:

1. Exhibition Place: a) there's room; b) it's central; c) there's transit (and will soon be much more transit), including, importantly, a GO station, which is critical given that a sizeable chunk of Jays fans (and other Rogers Centre event-goers) use to get to and from the stadium; and d) no one seems super jazzed about the current Ex Place masterplan.
2. Rebuild in place: The Jays have in the last few years, partly as a result of the pandemic, pumped tens of millions of dollars into both Sahlen Field in Buffalo, and their spring training complex in Dunedin, and have had to figure out the logistical concerns associated with playing in those places. I imagine there's a phasing program where you could figure out a way to demolish and reconstruct while only missing two seasons. Obviously, from the team's perspective, that would entail a substantial amount of lost revenue (and would probably also hurt them with respect to player recruitment), but at the end of the day this will not be the team's decision, and the revenue hit would be weighed against the accretions associated with redevelopment (especially if a full redevelopment included a broader vision for decking, resi, and potentially some other mixed-use). This obviously carries the biggest benefits in terms of retaining the current A++ location.
3. Portlands, specifically in the plot of land owned by the Federal Government (ownership map below, in the extreme SW corner of the district), which is to my mind the only parcel in the Portlands that might actually make sense when one considers size of parcel; number of owners (one); proximity to planned transit; adjacent future uses; city-building potential, and other factors. This isn't as desirable from a location perspective given that, even in the fullness of time, it would require transfer(s) from a GO station.
4. Downsview. I hate this option for reasons that others have stated, but I could certainly see the bean counters liking it. It's by far the simplest.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 2.31.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 2.31.54 PM.png

It used to be. Exhibition Stadium used to be in what is now a parking lot. Part of the stadiums footprint is where BMO Field is currently.

Yep - there's plaques in the parking lot south of BMO showing the location of the bases

BMO.jpg

I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of Rebel.

Have you even been there? Doesn't sound like you have, which makes your opinion null when there are thousands of people that attend their clubbing events, concerts and patio restaurant.

Just because our clubbing scene is a joke compared to yesteryear, it doesn't mean we should continue to close down popular nightlife destinations and make our city even less fun.

This question is for anyone, so ignoring whatever thoughts you may have on whether or not a new stadium should exist, gun to your head, where would you build it?
In a perfect world Portlands. Though I'd want to see a more significant transit station at the Unilever site (OL/DRL, GO/smart track, streetcar)

I am old enough to remember clubs like Fez Batik, Kool Haus, Guvernment, Menage, Circa, Republik and Maison Mercer. Hell I even went to Guvernment and Circa a few times.

Torontos club scene is dead and has been for years. One club does not a club scene make.

Had you seen it in its heyday, trust me you'd be wishing it was still here.

I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of Rebel.

I’m just trying to follow the logic. Because the Entertainment District is gutted and the heyday of Toronto clubbing is gone, we should get rid of the last vestige of it?

I’m just old enough to remember the tail end of Toronto clubs and I know it’s not the same now, partly because our tastes and interests have changed. This doesn’t mean Rebel doesn’t have a place in our city.

I would argue we could use one more super club if I’m being honest and I know I’m their target audience.

Rogers centre HAS NEVER seated 55 000 people for baseball, ever. A simple wikipedia search would have told you that. I can't take the rest of your post seriously (which honestly is just drivil) if you can't get that one thing right.
yes I was 6k people off... catastrophic mistake... next time I will send this through my secretary for editing so that you can take my post seriously.....the rest of my post from a three time season ticket holder clearly must not have any merit.

Last edited:
yes I was 6k people off... catastrophic mistake... next time I will send this through my secretary for editing so that you can take my post seriously.....the rest of my post from a three time season ticket holder clearly must not have any merit.

Was going to say the same thing. How ridiculous does someone have to be??? lol and get is straight...you're 5k off.

Back