Do we have any idea how long each girder will take to install? Should we expect one every few days? This progress is exciting!

Hard to see but attachment points for railings for track worker safety and/or future catenary?
I would expect the multiple sets of four bolts pointing upward to be mount points for the railings and potentially catenary poles, but I'm more curious about the exposed rebar along the edge. Normally exposed rebar suggests more concrete is to be poured and with so little rebar it would suggest more rebar would be attached, however I would have thought it would be easier to pour concrete while still on the ground before they lifted it into place than to do it high above Dupont and an operational GO line.

I would expect the multiple sets of four bolts pointing upward to be mount points for the railings and potentially catenary poles, but I'm more curious about the exposed rebar along the edge. Normally exposed rebar suggests more concrete is to be poured and with so little rebar it would suggest more rebar would be attached, however I would have thought it would be easier to pour concrete while still on the ground before they lifted it into place than to do it high above Dupont and an operational GO line.
Yes - the off-centre section of the outward facing edge; no clue. Interesting if it just on that one over the road or repeated on every section. Intrigue to look forward to.

20220407_084159.jpg
20220407_084350.jpg
20220407_084621.jpg
20220407_084723.jpg
20220407_084752.jpg
20220407_085048.jpg
20220407_085103.jpg
20220407_085315.jpg
20220407_085342.jpg
20220407_085358.jpg
20220407_090136.jpg
20220407_090231.jpg
20220407_090331.jpg
20220407_090517.jpg
20220407_090556.jpg

Some photos from this morning. Second girder is up over Dupont.

So the construction is mechanically stabilized earth south of wallace, and about half way to Sarnia Ave it becomes bridge piers and girders... but what is happening directly north of Wallace where they have concrete boxes poured?

So the construction is mechanically stabilized earth south of wallace, and about half way to Sarnia Ave it becomes bridge piers and girders... but what is happening directly north of Wallace where they have concrete boxes poured?

One of the ML construction bulletins states that there is one more set of piers to be poured right at Wallace, but they won't be constructed until the bridge lifter has worked its way all the way south. There are two mats on the ground just inside the gate that may be protecting the foundation of those two piers.

I wondered about those concrete boxes also. Another mystery to solve.

It will be interesting to see what it takes to shift the two gantries. They don't look very movable, the footings are pretty massive.

- Paul

One of the ML construction bulletins states that there is one more set of piers to be poured right at Wallace, but they won't be constructed until the bridge lifter has worked its way all the way south. There are two mats on the ground just inside the gate that may be protecting the foundation of those two piers.

I wondered about those concrete boxes also. Another mystery to solve.

It will be interesting to see what it takes to shift the two gantries. They don't look very movable, the footings are pretty massive.

- Paul
The gantries are on movable track that will allow 2 sets of girders to be place before moving to the south. I expect another track will be added to the south to allow the gantries to be move south onto it for the next 2 girders. The current track will then be move to the south end for the next move.

As for the concrete block, stump on that as well the north support at Wallace from what I was seeing. Not sure if the north side support was to be the same as the south up to the box area and then use the piers going north. Then it could have a few more piers/support to be pour as the girders get near the area. Time will tell.

The mats been there before the piers were pour as well at other gates to help to remove the dirt/mud from the wheels of vehicles before hitting the city streets. Reduce clean up and cost on a daily base. The mats have shown up at a number of sites I shoot.

I think those concrete blocks are for supporting the crane (or whatever you call it) that lifts the piers into place. You can see a similar concrete box in the 11th photo from my previous post.

Back