News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With respect to UPX, I suspect that once some sort of RER service on the Kitchener Line gets implemented, we will see UPX stopping at Union, Bloor, Eglinton, Woodbine, and then Pearson. Weston will likely get dropped, as it doesn't have any type of connection to an RT line, whereas the other stations all do (or will). Any future Kitchener RER stations (King/Liberty, St. Clair/Weston) will be skipped as well.

With respect to extending the FWLRT, I strongly suspect we'll see an announcement about extending to Woodbine GO before the current FWLRT opens. It's such a small extension that it wouldn't be a huge budget hit and would have enormous connectivity benefits. Its opening will probably be tied into the opening of the Woodbine GO Station. The FWLRT will then likely be extended further down Highway 27 to Dixon Rd, then along Dixon into the future Pearson Hub (whenever that comes to fruition).

With respect to UPX, I suspect that once some sort of RER service on the Kitchener Line gets implemented, we will see UPX stopping at Union, Bloor, Eglinton, Woodbine, and then Pearson. Weston will likely get dropped, as it doesn't have any type of connection to an RT line, whereas the other stations all do (or will). Any future Kitchener RER stations (King/Liberty, St. Clair/Weston) will be skipped as well.

With respect to extending the FWLRT, I strongly suspect we'll see an announcement about extending to Woodbine GO before the current FWLRT opens. It's such a small extension that it wouldn't be a huge budget hit and would have enormous connectivity benefits. Its opening will probably be tied into the opening of the Woodbine GO Station. The FWLRT will then likely be extended further down Highway 27 to Dixon Rd, then along Dixon into the future Pearson Hub (whenever that comes to fruition).

Would that be on the side of Hwy 27 where the LRT is currently ending? Or would they be moving over to the centre of Hwy 27?

It would definitely be more cost effective to build in the centre. There's plenty of space on Hwy 27 to accommodate a centre LRT line.

Would that be on the side of Hwy 27 where the LRT is currently ending? Or would they be moving over to the centre of Hwy 27?

It would definitely be more cost effective to build in the centre. There's plenty of space on Hwy 27 to accommodate a centre LRT line.
I would actually continue it on the west side of Hwy 27. There's quite a bit of space between Hwy 27 and Brockport Dr, and that would avoid a complete reconstruction of Hwy 27 to accommodate. It would also be making a westward turn at Dixon, so side-running would avoid having to reconstruct that entire interchange too, not to mention the overpass over Hwy 409.

I would actually continue it on the west side of Hwy 27. There's quite a bit of space between Hwy 27 and Brockport Dr, and that would avoid a complete reconstruction of Hwy 27 to accommodate. It would also be making a westward turn at Dixon, so side-running would avoid having to reconstruct that entire interchange too, not to mention the overpass over Hwy 409.
If it were trenched and grade separated from Rexdale Blvd, it would also allow Humber College students to have a truly rapid link to Woodbine GO.

If it were trenched and grade separated from Rexdale Blvd, it would also allow Humber College students to have a truly rapid link to Woodbine GO.
I'd probably trench it from Queens Plate to just south of Rexdale, then have it run at-grade until near the Woodbine GO station. I agree grade separating makes total sense, but I don't think it's worth the expense to trench when there's nothing to go under. From Humber College to Queens Plate and from Rexdale to just north of the rail corridor, there's nothing to avoid. In fact, it would need to bridge the Humber River, so a trench would make that even more challenging.

That makes some sense for Eglinton with its long subway section, but Finch?
For the Eglinton West LRT extension, it is in Doug Ford's neighbourhood, so it MUST underground and out-of-sight. For Finch West heading to Woodbine Racetrack, there is no one from Ford Nation living there... yet.

I believe part of the reason for the grey as well is to make the trains "brand agnostic". Metrolinx didn't want the trains in TTC red, but also didn't want them in Metrolinx black or GO green or whatever. Grey is muted, and can be applied universally across all Metrolinx-operated LRT lines (Hurontario, Hamilton, etc). It also means that they can shift trains around between lines if they really needed to (though I believe the decision on colour was made before they chose to go with two different models of trains).

I believe part of the reason for the grey as well is to make the trains "brand agnostic". Metrolinx didn't want the trains in TTC red, but also didn't want them in Metrolinx black or GO green or whatever. Grey is muted, and can be applied universally across all Metrolinx-operated LRT lines (Hurontario, Hamilton, etc). It also means that they can shift trains around between lines if they really needed to (though I believe the decision on colour was made before they chose to go with two different models of trains).
Isn't the signalling between the different lines incompatible? Like from what I understand you wouldn't be able to run Finch West trains on Eglinton and vice versa without heavy modifications.

Isn't the signalling between the different lines incompatible? Like from what I understand you wouldn't be able to run Finch West trains on Eglinton and vice versa without heavy modifications.

Yup, the signalling is different between the 2 lines. Also, they use different rolling stock, Eglinton with Bombardier, and Finch West with Alstom. I think even the platform lengths are different due to the rolling stock difference.

Yup, the signalling is different between the 2 lines. Also, they use different rolling stock, Eglinton with Bombardier, and Finch West with Alstom. I think even the platform lengths are different due to the rolling stock difference.
I wasn't aware of that! Was the signalling changed when they opted for different trains? Or was that decision made even before that switch?

I wasn't aware of that! Was the signalling changed when they opted for different trains? Or was that decision made even before that switch?
They did a RFP for the entire project out and let the consortium find a subcontractor to install whatever signal system. ML just sign out and tender.

Chances is it would be hard to find anything else that can run on Eglinton cause ATO is needed and needs a dedicated set of computers unless it is specially built for it. Finch would be more primitive. Just a simple computer that would set the switches and signals. It won’t be able to drive itself like 99% off the LRVs in the world.

Back