This project is going to come along quickly this summer based on the progress we are seeing now. I can't want to see the first train roll through. Is it expected in 2023?

Edit: Wow, the timeline presented shows the west mainline being ready in the middle of 2022! I wonder if that is still on track (no pun intended).

Last edited:
A6932F2C-ED90-45A2-9C3E-6D7BD8FDEA6B.jpeg
EC38DC86-6ECF-4C66-AAA0-CD38A8BCEF83.jpeg

Last edited:
This project is going to come along quickly this summer based on the progress we are seeing now. I can't want to see the first train roll through. Is it expected in 2023?

Edit: Wow, the timeline presented shows the west mainline being ready in the middle of 2022! I wonder if that is still on track (no pun intended).
Trains will likely come in 2023. I'm not sure which schedule you're looking at, but they're multiple months behind on almost everything.

The bridge will become a pedestrian plaza. The south sidewalk on Dupont will rise to meet the bridge instead of going under it, so at least that side won't be dark and dingy anymore.
View attachment 392140

View attachment 392141
\View attachment 392142

(images via Metrolinx presentation)
I've cycled under the Dupont bridge plenty of times, and I don't mind a that bit of grunge. I want them safe, but to my mind, cities needn't be 100% shiny, so I'm not personally sad that Dupont will still below here on that account…

…but on another account, I'm actually happy that Dupont won't rise to the surface. I have high hopes that the north-south linear park/cycle and walking route that is being created beside the guideway, that it will end up being a major pedestrian and cyclist link in the area, and being able to cross Dupont without having to deal with motor vehicle traffic there will be a major boon to it. Bring it on!!

I've cycled under the Dupont bridge plenty of times, and I don't mind a that bit of grunge. I want them safe, but to my mind, cities needn't be 100% shiny, so I'm not personally sad that Dupont will still below here on that account…

…but on another account, I'm actually happy that Dupont won't rise to the surface. I have high hopes that the north-south linear park/cycle and walking route that is being created beside the guideway, that it will end up being a major pedestrian and cyclist link in the area, and being able to cross Dupont without having to deal with motor vehicle traffic there will be a major boon to it. Bring it on!!

Yeah, I was initially saddened that Dupont wouldn't be raised, but preserving a car-free crossing is even better. Especially with the south sidewalk connecting to it. Too bad they couldn't do the north sidewalk as well, or even the bike lanes. Let the motor vehicles have the pit, everyone else up top. I wonder if that Dupont sidewalk will end up with bikes on it even more though, if people use it to ride up to the trail. Maybe they've considered that in the design?

Note: When raising Dupont was brought up at a meeting several years back, Metrolinx noted that it would be up to the City to do that, as it was the City that wanted the Dupont/Rail grade separation in the first place.

I understand the desire to grade separate the pedestrian crossing of Dupont, but Dupont is already only a 2-lane arterial. It's not some massive 6-lane mega stroad. A signalized crossing would work fine and would likely be an overall much better result for the public realm in the area if you ask me, providing easier connections to the trail for cyclists on Dupont and just opening up the area in general.

The problem of course is that the Fuse development is built along the revised grade for the underpass, which makes raising it back to the original grade challenging..

I wonder if that Dupont sidewalk will end up with bikes on it even more though, if people use it to ride up to the trail. Maybe they've considered that in the design?
They have not. I asked about this during a consultation session and they said their expectation was that cyclists on Dupont would have to dismount and walk to connect to the multi-use path. Big miss, IMO.

Kitchener had an interesting solution to this: they just built a sidewalk and signed it as a multi-use path: https://goo.gl/maps/db5xCrgmkX4XsEEu9

I understand the desire to grade separate the pedestrian crossing of Dupont, but Dupont is already only a 2-lane arterial. It's not some massive 6-lane mega stroad. A signalized crossing would work fine and would likely be an overall much better result for the public realm in the area if you ask me, providing easier connections to the trail for cyclists on Dupont and just opening up the area in general.

The problem of course is that the Fuse development is built along the revised grade for the underpass, which makes raising it back to the original grade challenging..

There are already signalized crossings 200m to the west (Symington), 60m to the east (condo/Shoppers/etc.), and 180m to the east (Lansdowne). Imagine asking for another signalized crossing or crosswalk here? Drivers would lose their minds. :)

If the old rail bridge could be replaced with a single span that doesn't require the middle-of-the-road support, that would also free up some road space for improving the bike lanes and/or sidewalks.

If the old rail bridge could be replaced with a single span that doesn't require the middle-of-the-road support, that would also free up some road space for improving the bike lanes and/or sidewalks.
That would be a preferable solution and one that shouldn't cost much seeing as how it's a relatively short span for a non vehicular bridge. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if the old bridge was designated a "heritage structure"... 🙄

That would be a preferable solution and one that shouldn't cost much seeing as how it's a relatively short span for a non vehicular bridge. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if the old bridge was designated a "heritage structure"... 🙄
It's plain crumbly 1951 concrete. The icicles under it can be cool sometimes, but not worth keeping in my opinion.

It's plain crumbly 1951 concrete. The icicles under it can be cool sometimes, but not worth keeping in my opinion.
I'm sure that with the work being done they will remove all the ballast and track, tar / weatherproof the structure, and paint it. It should be as good as new and you will see people walking, some plantings, lighting, etc on top of it.

Back