News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The planned Langstaff link over the CN yard is a very interesting (and expensive) project which would completely change how traffic is distributed in Vaughan.. would take a ton of pressure off of 7 through VMC, particularly in terms of truck traffic.

I'm almost surprised to not see Green Lane identified for widening, my understanding is that it's already a very busy road and will see a lot of growth along it in the coming decades.

Agreed on BRT being the better option for YR for now, but I could *maybe* see an extension to Major Mack in Vaughan if it could be elevated to keep costs down. Jane certainly has the space for it.
langstaff and teston/Elgin mills are significant gaps in York regions e/w road network.

With major Mack becoming increasingly congested, alternative routes are needed.

Quite a few of the mid-block crossings proposed here practically have the route open for building already, it's mainly a matter of funding. There are two connections in particular that stand out to me, and they're on either side of Major Mackenzie Drive:

Canada-America.jpg

Canada Drive - Highway 400 - America Avenue (north of Major Mackenzie Drive)

The collector roads here line up perfectly, plus both these roads have bus routes on them already, and the synergy of the street names is too good to overlook. The issue is it has residential developments on both sides, and I imagine there will be noise complaints.

Ashbury-Springside.jpg

Ashbury Boulevard - Highway 400 - Canada's Wonderland Drive (south of Major Mackenzie Drive)

This one isn't as likely to be built. The route would be passing over some ponds, and it would also cannibalize a private driveway that Wonderland would probably prefer to keep that way. On the other hand, it would redirect traffic from TWO heavily-used bridges, if you look at Rutherford Road to the south.

There are some other ones of note, like the Red Cedar underpass just east of Yonge, which I think already has some of the bridge structures in place to thread the road underneath.

There are some other ones of note, like the Red Cedar underpass just east of Yonge, which I think already has some of the bridge structures in place to thread the road underneath.
Yes the Highway 7 and 407 bridges already exist. Clearing work has already started for this.

Quite a few of the mid-block crossings proposed here practically have the route open for building already, it's mainly a matter of funding. There are two connections in particular that stand out to me, and they're on either side of Major Mackenzie Drive:

View attachment 392969
Canada Drive - Highway 400 - America Avenue (north of Major Mackenzie Drive)

The collector roads here line up perfectly, plus both these roads have bus routes on them already, and the synergy of the street names is too good to overlook. The issue is it has residential developments on both sides, and I imagine there will be noise complaints.

View attachment 392970

Ashbury Boulevard - Highway 400 - Canada's Wonderland Drive (south of Major Mackenzie Drive)

This one isn't as likely to be built. The route would be passing over some ponds, and it would also cannibalize a private driveway that Wonderland would probably prefer to keep that way. On the other hand, it would redirect traffic from TWO heavily-used bridges, if you look at Rutherford Road to the south.

At the very least build pedestrian pathways and cycling paths along that route. They would be much, much narrower than most roads or stroads we build in the suburbs.

One thing to note that is not on the map.... Richmond hill council has voted on.... to go back to York region to possibly change the future 19th go station to Elgin mills

One thing to note that is not on the map.... Richmond hill council has voted on.... to go back to York region to possibly change the future 19th go station to Elgin mills
That makes sense. There isn't much around 19th avenue other than the 2 subdivisions west of it. There's a lot more along Elgin Mills generally.

Yes, because the bike lanes are being installed for the benefit of Keswick's commuters and not the much larger population in Vaughan/Markham that could cycle to work if given the opportunity.:rolleyes:
Didn't you know that Keswick is the centre of the universe?

I am surprised now uninspiring the TMP is compared to 2016 one. Compared to 2022 vs 2016, there is a significant reduction in improvements in all types and the details they have in the 2022 are very lacking. (I know it is a draft) With the population going even higher in 2051, the reduction in improvements doesn't make much sense. Just looking at South York Region I see:

Roads: Fewer improvements overall, especially in Vaughan. Bathurst and 16th were cut back for example.
Publication2x1.jpg

Transit: There is no mention of the frequent transit network (in neon blue in 2041) or express bus network. Commuter lots were reduced. Center Street in Vaughan is no longer considered with Rapid Transit. Although we see McCowan upgraded to conceptual rapid transit. Steeles was also upgraded but considering Toronto owns it, I take that with a grain of salt.
Publication2x2.jpg

Bikes: Draw a line on every arterial road for bike consideration.
Publication2.jpg

I am surprised now uninspiring the TMP is compared to 2016 one. Compared to 2022 vs 2016, there is a significant reduction in improvements in all types and the details they have in the 2022 are very lacking. (I know it is a draft) With the population going even higher in 2051, the reduction in improvements doesn't make much sense. Just looking at South York Region I see:

Roads: Fewer improvements overall, especially in Vaughan. Bathurst and 16th were cut back for example.
View attachment 395791
Transit: There is no mention of the frequent transit network (in neon blue in 2041) or express bus network. Commuter lots were reduced. Center Street in Vaughan is no longer considered with Rapid Transit. Although we see McCowan upgraded to conceptual rapid transit. Steeles was also upgraded but considering Toronto owns it, I take that with a grain of salt.
View attachment 395792
Bikes: Draw a line on every arterial road for bike consideration.
View attachment 395793
Pathetic. What really gets to me is that they say all the right words that amount to nothing.

It is disappointing to see how many of the improvements were removed. Could some of the improvements have already taken place over the last ~6 years? That could account for a few of the changes, for example the midblock crossing over Highway 404 north of Highway 7.

It is disappointing to see how many of the improvements were removed. Could some of the improvements have already taken place over the last ~6 years? That could account for a few of the changes, for example the midblock crossing over Highway 404 north of Highway 7.
Well the Donald Cousens Parkway extension from Major Mackenzie to 19th Avenue is not completed, so at least that one is a complete removal.

Has there ever been discussion of connecting the western parts of Langstaff after they connect the center and eastern parts over the CN rail yard?

Also, shouldn’t parts of Highway 7 be renamed Langstaff and 14th/Centre Rd and reconnected as appropriate or has that never been considered? Just seems like the logical thing to reconnect the original concession roads no? Is Highway 7 as a concept still needed in York Region?

Back