Thanks for sharing my piece, @allengeorge.

There hasn’t been a lot of detailed discussion, here or elsewhere, of these proposals.

In short, the ”Bridge” scheme, designed by IBI, has been kicking around for a while and is almost plausible. The “High Tech” scheme, by Quadrangle, is a joke. Among other problems, there’s almost no open space, and what there is lies in a hydro corridor.

It’s also worth noticing that the Bridge plan is only half of a larger land assembly. So whatever problems currently exist, with respect to the built form, mix of uses and open space, will only get worse with time.

View attachment 378049View attachment 378050View attachment 378052View attachment 378053
BDP Quadrangle is notoriously bad at site planning, circulation layout, urban design, and open space relationships. They have executed some attractive buildings but to hire them for a large masterplan is not wise.

BDP Quadrangle is notoriously bad at site planning, circulation layout, urban design, and open space relationships. They have executed some attractive buildings but to hire them for a large masterplan is not wise.
Not sure I'd say it's "notoriously bad" (I mean what else have they done that's actually terrible for master planning?) but this one is obviously extremely rushed and back of napkin and there is definitely something to be said for BDPQ not stepping back and trying to do something a bit more comprehensively..

I doubt this will happen. Too expensive and complicated to open satellite offices when everyone's concentrating downtown as NL pointed out. Easier to just let everyone take 2-3 days from home.

Additionally, various City policies and incentives to turn the suburban centres (North York, STC, Etobicoke, Yonge-Eg) into mixed used nodes with significant employment uses have failed.

Generally, businesses have opted to set up shop along the 905 highway corridors or concentrate downtown.
In fact, some suburban offices are being redeveloped into warehouses and data centres because of all the e-commerce, delivery and WFH.

Enhanced Minister's Zoning Order (EMZO) issued

An EMZO is a newly added tool used to support and expedite the delivery of government priorities, including transit-oriented communities, affordable housing and long-term carehomes by removing potential barriers and approval delays.

The tool has been used at least once, to fast-track the construction of a new hospital in Mississauga.

Similar to an MZO, which allows the minister to rule on how a piece of land is to be used in the province, with no chance of appeal, an EMZO also allows the minister to remove municipal use of site plan control.

Story on the EMZO's from CBC:

From the above, one of the opponents of this offers the following:

1650108011862.png

That is some crazy density right there. It leaves me deeply ambivalent. I'm all for aggressive densification in urban centers and in edge cities, but this one gives me pause. Feels dystopian and I fear (perhaps unreasonably, I'll admit) that this thick urban knot, if built as planned, will become a ghetto.

Story on the EMZO's from CBC:

From the above, one of the opponents of this offers the following:

View attachment 393232
Having lived in Hong Kong and frequented Mong Kok many times, this is absolutely mind boggling to me. The idea that anywhere in Ontario could be more dense than Hong Kong much less Richmond hill of all places, should most certainly give everyone pause for a minute.

I honestly think the province owes us much more of an explanation for their rationale on this. We should not be approving such extremely dense communities without some well articulated planning rationale beyond BDP Quadrangle gave the OPC some nice campaign contributions.

Edit to add: I have to wonder if this somehow was done by political staffers who don't actually understand what it is they approved.

Last edited:
One of the reasons is to avoid intensifying the yellowbelt. At the community consultation, Michael Fedchyshyn from IO was explicit about this.

I think the concern about retail, grocery, services etc is a bit overblown. We've seen many dense clusters appear in the city over the last 15 years; services and retail naturally follow the increased demand.

It's doubtful that retailers and grocers will avoid an immensely dense area. Market dynamics and demand will naturally drive them to locate here. But yes, I agree that these provisions should be more explicitly stated in the planning framework and policies.

One of the reasons is to avoid intensifying the yellowbelt. At the community consultation, Michael Fedchyshyn from IO was explicit about this.

I think the concern about retail, grocery, services etc is a bit overblown. We've seen many dense clusters appear in the city over the last 15 years; services and retail naturally follow the increased demand.

It's doubtful that retailers and grocers will avoid an immensely dense area. Market dynamics and demand will naturally drive them to locate here. But yes, I agree that these provisions should be more explicitly laid out the planning framework and policies.

The proposed density is excessive; the excessive heights drive up costs per unit as well.

Beyond that, I think there is need for clear human scaling at street level, adequate parks and public realm, proper provision for adequate employment; and there is also the matter of adequate unit sizes.

What's proposed here is something absurd, I hope that we see a change in government, and that if we do the MzO is revoked.

I honestly think the province owes us much more of an explanation for their rationale on this. We should not be approving such extremely dense communities without some well articulated planning rationale beyond BDP Quadrangle gave the OPC some nice campaign contributions.

Edit to add: I have to wonder if this somehow was done by political staffers who don't actually understand what it is they approved.
BDPQ is an architect acting on behalf of a client - other than the fees paid by the client for the design work they don’t be benefit from this. It’s those paying BDPQ’s bills you want to look at as who is driving this and who will benefit.

And here's yet another example of the province being in bed with developers. There's absolutely no reason for excessive density like what we're seeing being proposed, but yet somehow we're randomly seeing this amount of density being proposed here?

I find it laughable that the province does things to make it seem like they are helping with housing affordability (and I bet this will be the main reason they give, that all the units will help the supply issue and thus drive prices down), but in reality this is nothing more than them waiving a shiny object for the public to see, but in reality the province could care less. That's exactly why we see the province floating around foreign home buyer taxes, and increasing supply, while at the same time scrapping things that really help such as rent control. And the sad thing is, people fall for it, then start crying "my rent/price of houses is so high".

And here's yet another example of the province being in bed with developers. There's absolutely no reason for excessive density like what we're seeing being proposed, but yet somehow we're randomly seeing this amount of density being proposed here?

I find it laughable that the province does things to make it seem like they are helping with housing affordability (and I bet this will be the main reason they give, that all the units will help the supply issue and thus drive prices down), but in reality this is nothing more than them waiving a shiny object for the public to see, but in reality the province could care less. That's exactly why we see the province floating around foreign home buyer taxes, and increasing supply, while at the same time scrapping things that really help such as rent control. And the sad thing is, people fall for it, then start crying "my rent/price of houses is so high".
Either this or sprawl.

This is a polarizing and extreme response to "sprawl." It fails to acknowledge the mediating influence of infill, laneway housing, mid-rise and so-called "missing middle" urban designs. There's an entire pantheon of sensible responses to the housing crisis; we are ill-served if all we are presented is the "wisdom" of several 60+ stories of skyscraper condos huddled together on the same tight patch of land.

Back