39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

General Provincial Press Release here:

From the above:

1650382013651.png

Map from same:

1650381931171.png

A bit of proof reading was needed for this article... the current trains are NOT powered by gas 🤣
General Provincial Press Release here:

From the above:

View attachment 393972

Map from same:

View attachment 393971
interesting how the initial stretch of the RH line is designated to be electrified...will they electrify the rest of the way in the future or just use bi mode for just the first bit?

The electrification of the RH line is done to access the proposed Don Valley Yard from my understanding. I believe Metrolinx is also planning to park some trains on the RH line itself mid-day for layover.
Oh thats a shame. Was hoping theyd plan to electrify the rest of the way.... :(

Last edited:
From the Alstom press release:

“Alstom’s scope within the consortium is anticipated to include the supply of new electric locomotives, train control systems, a new traction power system and network electrification via an overhead catenary system, as well as the integration of its scope.”

Is it safe to put talk of battery-powered trains to rest?
yes? lol

but aside from that whats curious is this line

Alstom will also upgrade the existing GO Transit BiLevel rolling stock, signalling systems, telecommunications systems,
I didnt know metrolinx wanted to upgrade the coaches?

The ERTMS - european rail traffic management system signaling sounds interesting. whatever it is, its goig to be the first time in north america

yes? lol

but aside from that whats curious is this line

I didnt know metrolinx wanted to upgrade the coaches?

The ERTMS - european rail traffic management system signaling sounds interesting. whatever it is, its goig to be the first time in north america
well many of the coaches will be quite old when the project is done. perhaps a refurb? or ideally they modify their doorways to allow for level platform access.

Well - thanks heavens then, cause I never want to have to scroll past pages discussing whether it’s going to happen :)

From Jonathan English on this…
30 trains per hour on a single track? jezuz.
so its just an open signaling standard using PTC? why couldnt the ttc use it for the subways? rather whats the difference between PTC, ATC, and CBTC

Well - thanks heavens then, cause I never want to have to scroll past pages discussing whether it’s going to happen :)

From Jonathan English on this…
wait so theyre not buying any emus even to supplement? wasnt there a huge marketing push for them this entire last half decade?
This is a bit of bait and switch since we were promised some form of EMUs in all the public releases and marketing.

Last edited:
wait so theyre not buying any emus even to supplement? wasnt there a huge marketing push for them this entire last half decade?
This is a bit of bait and switch since we were promised some form of EMUs in all the public releases and marketing.

The Alstom press release is very specific about the initial two year contract, so my guess is that they are only announcing the orders they expect during that period. Presumably EMU orders would be finalized during that design period.

The Alstom press release is very specific about the initial two year contract, so my guess is that they are only announcing the orders they expect during that period. Presumably EMU orders would be finalized during that design period.
Oh ok. Hopefully this is the case.
As much as the bilevels have been the workhorse, many of them are way past due to be retired and replaced. The last thing go needs is to be like via and have walking dead rolling stock to save pennies on the dollar

As much as the bilevels have been the workhorse, many of them are way past due to be retired and replaced. The last thing go needs is to be like via and have walking dead rolling stock to save pennies on the dollar
In the government press release, there is a comment from Phil Verster that "This and more will be delivered by the ONxpress team, who proposed service levels that far surpass our GO Expansion full business case and will transform GO Transit into a world class transit system to move the region like never before.".

Obviously there's a bit of salesmanship there, but it's still an interesting comment. If the expected service levels have been increased, I'd expect that does imply the use of EMUs with faster acceleration and faster loading times.

Update from Jonathan English: he's hearing that service frequencies may be as frequent as every 3.5 minutes.

I'm not so sure that their death is as imminent as you suggest. There has been an awful lot of life extension. For their age, they are in beautiful shape.

I would hope that Alstom would have the good sense to squeeze every last bit of life out of the fleet. Considering that from their very first announcement, they talk about renovating the existing fleet, I expect they are astute enough not to scrap anything that has life remaining.

There will be a finite life cycle, and a need for replacements, and maybe an even bigger fleet - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It will happen only as quickly as Alstom needs.

- Paul

In the government press release, there is a comment from Phil Verster that "This and more will be delivered by the ONxpress team, who proposed service levels that far surpass our GO Expansion full business case and will transform GO Transit into a world class transit system to move the region like never before.".

Obviously there's a bit of salesmanship there, but it's still an interesting comment. If the expected service levels have been increased, I'd expect that does imply the use of EMUs with faster acceleration and faster loading times.

Update from Jonathan English: he's hearing that service frequencies may be as frequent as every 3.5 minutes.

3.5 minutes? thats insane. if that ever happens we do not need any bi-level locomotives at all.

Back