Unfortunately, aesthetics wasn't made a priority by the proponents involved. I can live with the general massing, but the the monotony here is just a terrible onslaught. To have grey spandrel sometimes doubled up on layout with grey brick. Would've liked to at least see alternating brick colour applications for each building like brown, red, and yes even yellow would've helped break up this seemingly impenetrable bunker row.

Modern Version of Easter German's Plattenbau🥵
plattenbau.JPG

There is, but these are all hand laid.
Too bad it's the only expense they spared.

Either way though, I'll amend my comment too: The liberal use of grey spandrel and the token use of brick layering. And it shows... /sigh

Home of innovation: Toronto looks for an operator for a new startup incubator

A new startup incubator is coming to the west end — and the City is searching for a non-profit or academic institution to run it.

The City is looking to sublease a nearly 15,000-square-foot commercial space at 390–440 Dufferin Street to an operator that can turn it into a thriving hub for supporting new businesses. It will subsidize the rent on the two-storey space, which is in a newly constructed mixed-use building, to offer it at below market rates.

For organizations whose ambitions exceed the footprint available, there is potential to expand into an additional 45,500 square feet of space that is for lease from the developer.

Applicants need to submit a plan that is industry-agnostic and will support startups working in everything from the creative arts to cleantech.

Interested? Find out more and apply on the City’s website. But you’ll have to move quickly: the deadline is March 14, and the successful applicant could get the keys to the space by September 1.

It's weird that there's scaffolding there again - I could swear that it was gone a while ago...

Back