Not to derail the pricing conversation (real estate thread?), but the construction management plans are posted on the SPA now which have a lot of really interesting details in them. I've tried to list a few below, but I expect they'll be a cool read for many of us on here and I encourage you to check them out!
  • East tower (shorter of the two) will be constructed first
    • It also looks like they're planning a phased occupancy of sorts whereby the lower floors will move in while the high rise floors are still under construction (crane active and all)
  • These will both require pretty extensive construction tower platforms that the construction elevators will be attached to
  • Looks like each tower will have two "jump car" elevators in the high rise bank that are operable during the construction phase (similar to The One I imagine)
  • Curtain wall / cladding at the mechanical penthouse level is too large for a spider crane and will require the use of the tower crane to place
  • The core will have an elaborate automated climbing system as seen below
    • It looks like these may get a little more common on taller residential builds - I recall seeing this at The Prestige and there is one being assembled for the next phase at One Yonge
1652899787652.png

I mean let's call a spade a spade. This is going to be a prestige project for upper income earners only. It's not going to do a thing about housing affordability.
Don't think anyone is arguing that the prices are just or accessible, but rather that they are pretty standard and excepted. Unfortunately developments of this caliber aren't designed to be accessible to the general population or for those just getting into the market.
I think I jumped specifically on the comment about "people whining". You are right in that this is a prestige project, however prices even in "lesser" projects are creeping up to similarly inflated numbers. Plus there's the whole issue of the downtown core becoming a playground for the rich, while it should be accessible for far more people.

Anyway, as suggested probably a topic for another thread.

From the article:

“It’s very economical,” the Toronto-born architect said. “And it fits with how I see the Toronto aesthetic: quiet.”

Damning with faint praise. And this bit:

In our interview, he revealed that the AGO also proposed hiring him to lead the redesign of Grange Park – the publicly accessible space behind the museum that is owned and maintained by the AGO. The problem? The project’s lead donors, the W. Garfield Weston Foundation, “had some questions about whether we could manage the budget,” he said with a laugh.

Well, I am sure they could reclaim the budget from the bread. I mean, we should probably have hired PWC to design it instead.

AoD

The article talks about the two towers having two different patterns in the cladding, One is clear curtain-wall glass; the other is steel, which has an irregular rippled pattern and is pierced by rectangular punched windows.

However, looking at the renders they both seem to have the steel rippled pattern? Which tower will be steel. The shorter east tower or the taller west tower??

B7B22D05-3ED1-4805-9B2D-0EE131A348E7.jpeg

The article talks about the two towers having two different patterns in the cladding, One is clear curtain-wall glass; the other is steel, which has an irregular rippled pattern and is pierced by rectangular punched windows.

However, looking at the renders they both seem to have the steel rippled pattern? Which tower will be steel. The shorter east tower or the taller west tower??

View attachment 402513

I believe the article is stating that both towers have a section of curtain wall and a section with rippled steel pattern.

Not to sidetrack the discussion in this thread much; but on the mention of Grange Park above; I think the design mostly turned out decently; I've critiqued it before.

But.....there are maintenance issues. Not just the grass, many of the planting beds are beginning to look terrible due to trampling and neglect. To my understanding AGO was supposed to actively manage this park to
prevent just such an outcome.........

I didn't have the camera on me last time I wandered through but will take pictures sometime soon.

Last edited:
I'm fine w/everything from level 2 up; but a huge building lobby like that fronting King does not work for me.

Totally agree, huge opportunity to activate a long dead stretch of King, especially with theatre shows coming back to life; Theatre Park's podium has also long been empty and that's always been a bit upsetting.

New images.

Quote from article. Not sure where this height figure is coming from:

”The Forma project will comprise two towers, a 298-metre-tall western and a 262-metre-tall eastern tower, which will be the tallest residential towers ever designed by Gehry. The tallest of the two towers will be just short of the threshold for supertall skyscrapers, which is 300 metres. ”

Source: https://www.dezeen.com/2022/06/01/f...-of-his-tallest-ever-residential-skyscrapers/
Gehry-Forma-Toronto-new-images_dezeen_2364_hero.jpg

Gehry-Forma-Toronto-new-images_dezeen_2364_col_1.jpg

Back