You don't need to go that far - a closer example is available at Yorkdale with a similar spider clamp system.

Cleaner it maybe, but lacking personality as well. It's exciting - when you're the first one doing it. Besides the "clutter" can be considered a key element in technoromantic architecture (can you imagine say "cleaning up" the expression of Pompidou Centre?). Eaton Centre is being slowly scrubbed of any remarkable values - and being turned into yet another mall.

AoD

The framing of the glass ceiling at the Eaton Centre is part of the architecture for sure. It evokes the ceiling glazing used on 19th-century arcades made up of individual panes of glass.

The Eaton Centre's iconic original design was essentially a design informed by Modernism. But it also featured an interesting combination of early Postmodern-style historical references (e.g. the arched glazed ceiling) and details inspired by the High Tech movement (e.g. the exposed ductwork).

That combination of design elements makes it quite unique. It's still worth preserving in my opinion through renovations that respect the original design. With that said, the glass ceiling needs to be replaced for practical reasons. It hasn't fared well over the past decade in terms of keeping rainwater out during storms.

Last edited:
The Dundas Arcade is the biggest loss.

The Trees and railings are key parts of the original architectural intent but sort of had to go for the demands of modern mall retail needs, so I'm more sympathetic to their loss. What does bother me though is CF's uncoordinated, patchwork renovations which make the whole mall feel disjointed and disconnected.

I essentially agree w/the sentiment here.

But to me the glass is just about the least concerning thing; I do see merit in changing it out (though with what is a different question)
Just the natural etching that happens to glass that old and constantly dirty is worth a changing.

Ceiling scaffolding this evening.

IMG_20220825_205754289 (2).png

IMG_20220825_205802274.png

IMG_20220825_205732915 (2).jpg

Last edited:
And that's being kind. The mall is bland and soul-sucking thanks to Cadillac Fairview and their poor renovation history.
I'd love to see some of the Pop-nautical references brought back - especially the profuse greenery and trees, and the original style railings. The original closeness of the railing's bars/metalwork guaranteed perceptible comfort when standing near or leaning on them - unlike the new metal-topped glass ones, which do nothing to prevent feelings of vertigo from arising.

I'd love to see some of the Pop-nautical references brought back - especially the profuse greenery and trees, and the original style railings. The original closeness of the railing's bars/metalwork guaranteed perceptible comfort when standing near or leaning on them - unlike the new metal-topped glass ones, which do nothing to prevent feelings of vertigo from arising.

Can we add; bringing back the full Dundas glass arcade treatment; most original water features (one would have to be modified as elevators were added); and why not most of the original flooring while we're at it; it may been worn a bit, but wasn't particularly dated.

Put another way, these are the things I would be ok w/changing from the original Eaton Centre design:

- The cladding on the former Eatons/Sears etc, including introduction of extensive windows.
- The Yonge Street facade (south of the former Eatons) which has never worked in any incarnation.
- Redesigning retail to engage Yonge
- Clearer/less opaque glass for the main arcade/skylight
- Redesigning the relationship to Trinity Square and James Street to create engaging retail, patios and architecture.
- Reducing or eliminating parking over the Yonge Street frontage; and off Dundas (adding, as appropriate, retail/office/institutional

In respect of additional retail created over the years. The lower hallway to Canadian Tire is a fail; either close it, or relocate it to the south of the elevator core where retail can line the corridor on both sides.

Consider removing Canadian Tire/Best Buy etc. (let them find other good downtown space) and shift the Cineplex back to that space in the Eaton Centre. The space over at 10 Dundas East is simply too cumbersome and awkard being up 4 levels and 5 when you factor in the two level nature of the cinema.

It would be better as a complex located mostly on levels 1/2 below and just a grand entrance and perhaps single auditorium on the ground level to create a sense of an 'event' space.

Last edited:

Back