News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Has there been any data released on how much (or if) transit, and specifically LRT, ridership has bounced back since the depths of Covid ?

I’m wondering if it’s even worth building the Green Line at this point.

Not much detail, but new development for NW corner of Elbow and Southland :

This one went to Council yesterday, to get the zoning approval for the north parcel of land. The representative from Opus (developer) said that with the zoning for the second parcel, a DP can proceed and expect it to be submitted in the next couple of months. Looks like they are working with Gravity Architecture on it as well. The presentation by Opus just showed a site plan, and typical floor plans (very low on detail), says up to 6 storeys. Will keep an eye out for the DP submission and any other updates. In the meantime, here are the presentations to Council yesterday on the rezoning:

D2A71E2C-17D0-4299-B001-9C9F37A5E504.jpeg
6676E8E0-EEC3-43F0-A8B8-314DB9642C81.jpeg

Has there been any data released on how much (or if) transit, and specifically LRT, ridership has bounced back since the depths of Covid ?

I’m wondering if it’s even worth building the Green Line at this point.
I've said this from the beginning, but I'm not sure building it to the depths of the suburbs has ever been worth it. If those people wanted access to strong public transit, they wouldn't live that far away.

I'm happy Centre St. to Inglewood is getting built, but I'd sooner focus on the breadth of the Beltline and connecting the Airport than Seton.

I've said this from the beginning, but I'm not sure building it to the depths of the suburbs has ever been worth it. If those people wanted access to strong public transit, they wouldn't live that far away.

I'm happy Centre St. to Inglewood is getting built, but I'd sooner focus on the breadth of the Beltline and connecting the Airport than Seton.
A rant*:

The long-term transit plan still seems to be to give everyone a bit of transit of okay quality, rather than give some areas truly great transit or evolve Calgary into a more transit-friendly city. It's sticking to the 1980s plan - extend the lines as far as we can/build new long lines, add some layers of busses to enhance the LRT effectiveness with a feeder system, but also do very little to de-prioritize private vehicle infrastructure investments, travels speeds and trip times. It's a recipe for a stagnating transit system always playing catchup, never leading.

The core section of the Greenline is actually pretty close to the type of investment that's materially an improvement. The grade-separation and route alignment really does make transit an effective competitor in the inner city. But I am worried that an inflation-induced scope change may water down even that.

Land uses and institution sprawl continue to be two of the biggest issues outside transit's direct control - if the South Hospital was built on the existing Red Line rather than as part of a suburban sprawl play in the SE we'd likely never see the Greenline's south extension being prioritized (and thus taking investment away from other projects). We'd also have the past decade of a few thousands more daily riders without a single new kilometre of track. That's a few thousand more voters too advocating for a better system too. There doesn't seem to be much/any voice from transit or advocacy groups to challenge land uses that are not compatible.

There also seems little interest in revisiting the system model from peak-oriented to a more all-day approach. No apparent interest in evenings, weekends or night service either. Besides the Greenline, from the outside it appears as if there's almost no planning or investment going on in transit at all - all attention seems focused on basic maintenance and day-to-day operations (important stuff of course). I don't think I have ever seen any plan or document that even contemplates improvements in the quality, speed and reliability of existing LRT system since the days of the 4-car extension program.

Calgary still has some shine from the relative effectiveness of the LRT system for a city of it's size, but that shine is fading quickly IMO - we aren't that small of a city anymore and other cities made higher quality transit investments than we are doing when they were our current size.

* a huge asterisks on all my complaints - COVID was a generational impact that has kept Transit's focus elsewhere than the long-term so some drift is understandable given the level of the crisis and ginormous funding challenges. But it's time to get refocused and future-oriented again - I want transit leading the discussion, not slowly fading from relevance in more places.

All the oversized lots owned by the same person on the North Side of Mission Road are finally up for sale... again. Would be nice to see it finally developed.

They are using Bode to sell. And while I have zero issues with Bode, I guess I just would of thought as sale of that many lots and size you would be using some large commercial real estate firm that I assumed brings more value then the typical residential Realtors .... but I don't know.

I am bias as heck living in the area, but I would of thought there would be desire from developers to develop there given the population density, nearby train station and location.

Land uses and institution sprawl continue to be two of the biggest issues outside transit's direct control - if the South Hospital was built on the existing Red Line rather than as part of a suburban sprawl play in the SE we'd likely never see the Greenline's south extension being prioritized (and thus taking investment away from other projects). We'd also have the past decade of a few thousands more daily riders without a single new kilometre of track. That's a few thousand more voters too advocating for a better system too. There doesn't seem to be much/any voice from transit or advocacy groups to challenge land uses that are not compatible.
It's frustrating for sure. The bulk of Calgary taxpayers live in the burbs, and will vote in councilors who aid that lifestyle. I guess it is what it is, but building the LRT lines so far out has turned it into more of a commuter train system than a general transit system. It's been designed to match Calgary's make-up as a city.

I'm curious to see which direction transit in general goes. With less people working downtown (and it possibly becoming a trend), and more people living downtown, the city's makeup is changing. I'm hoping we can get the Green Line built, and going forward make better use of leveraging the system. While TODs as a planned entity are struggling, development around the LRT stations has been decent, and hopefully it can gain more traction.

All the oversized lots owned by the same person on the North Side of Mission Road are finally up for sale... again. Would be nice to see it finally developed.

They are using Bode to sell. And while I have zero issues with Bode, I guess I just would of thought as sale of that many lots and size you would be using some large commercial real estate firm that I assumed brings more value then the typical residential Realtors .... but I don't know.

I am bias as heck living in the area, but I would of thought there would be desire from developers to develop there given the population density, nearby train station and location.
What addresses and is it actively marketed, I’ll give it a look from the developer angle and see if I can make it work

What addresses and is it actively marketed, I’ll give it a look from the developer angle and see if I can make it work

I didn't realize you worked for a developer!

Anyway, see the links below. I think the same owner has held on to all the properties for about a decade. Not sure why there are separate listing for adjacent properties

IMG_7190.jpg

Last edited:
Had to chuckle when I read we were getting another “HAT”.

I didn't realize you worked for a developer!

Anyway, see the links below. I think the same owner has held on to all the properties for about a decade. Not sure why there are separate listing for adjacent properties

View attachment 412258
Thanks pal I’ll do some napkin site plans and proformas and see if I can make them work 👌

Back