Fenced off. Store is being emptied and the pumps being removed

13B2DE14-DE3A-4E5C-B5FE-DA213717D1A6.jpeg
0A6CABD9-3772-4BE9-B80E-58AF80EA7A29.jpeg

^i dont know why the ugliest projects are the quickest. LOL!
the ugliest projects are the quickest cuz you have a councillor that doesn't care about the environment that her constituents live in , .. it's called apathy, laziness , absolutely no concept of the built environment

Ryerson didn't own the gas station but Calatrava's design (including a 33 storey spiralling tower that defied the 30m height limit) spilled onto this lot.

Calatrava even offered to help fundraising efforts with large donors... to buy the lot and help raise the construction budget lol.

BTW, he also agreed to Ryerson’s pre-set architect's fees of 10% of the project budget… a fraction of what he’d earn in Europe and elsewhere.

Ryerson didn't own the gas station but Calatrava's design (including a 33 storey spiralling tower that defied the 30m height limit) spilled onto this lot.

Calatrava even offered to help fundraising efforts with large donors... to buy the lot and help raise the construction budget lol.

BTW, he also agreed to Ryerson’s pre-set architect's fees of 10% of the project budget… a fraction of what he’d earn in Europe and elsewhere.

Do you just get the desire to pass the hat at UT and put flyers under the door of all the residents of the Merchandise Building w/west facing units and pictures of the Calatrava design; and then this proposal....

With 'You could have had this' above the former; 'But instead you got that' over the latter?

Just checking, cause if you do, I might put something in the hat. LOL

Do you just get the desire to pass the hat at UT and put flyers under the door of all the residents of the Merchandise Building w/west facing units and pictures of the Calatrava design; and then this proposal....

With 'You could have had this' above the former; 'But instead you got that' over the latter?

Just checking, cause if you do, I might put something in the hat. LOL

I've already started a Go Fund Me site but I fear it's too late.

Ryerson was going ride the Calatrava celebrity train to launch the school into the big leagues.

And Santiago was literally willing to "pass the hat" himself at big donor fundraising parties (probably pour the drinks too). He saw Toronto as the next great "new" city. It's heart-breaking.

Of course city planning would have nixed the 33s spiral anyway thanks to the 30 height* limit (5 years before MAD's Absolute twist design appeared).

So now we have a 53s TF*. Yay.

I've already started a Go Fund Me site but I fear it's too late.

To change anything here; certainly. I was merely thinking of the value of rubbing salt in some self-inflicted wounds, LOL Through, truthfully, many of the original residents and investors have probably moved on.....

Ryerson was going ride the Calatrava celebrity train to launch the school in to the big leagues.

And Santiago was literally willing to "pass the hat" himself at big donor fundraising parties (probably pour the drinks too). He saw Toronto as the next great "new" city. It's heart-breaking.

It is a shame, no question.

P.S. I don't have a pic of Calatrava's "spiral" tower for Toronto but I'm betting the design (1999/2000) was based on the sculpture Twisting Torso... as was Malmo's renowned "Turning Torso"... the Swedes were talking to him pretty much exactly the same time :-(

Last edited:
aaaah , yes the Calatrava tower , .. so sad , ... and to think that a 4 story was built , .. the tower was actually going to be placed at the northern quarter or third of that huge parking lot that was there , .. I remember being at the meeting when theSOCIAL CONDOS at the south east corner were proposed the loft people were losing it .

Back