News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It should be an easi(er) one to do once Line 2 is completed, at least.

It will be done; at some point, there are some decisions around both expansion of Line 4 and opening up the closed portions of platforms for six-car trains that would ideally be taken before letting that contract, but it isn't strictly required.

The current rolling stock for Line 4 is also not ATC-ready will need to be replaced, that's a small number of trains, but an issue here is that the TTC is seriously loooking at going to six-car trains so it can order the same rolling stock as for other lines.

This may get tagged onto the contract to replace Line 2 rolling stock, that's TBD. Lots of moving parts here.

Last edited:
The current rolling stock for Line 4 is also not ATC-ready and will need to be replaced...

I'm unsure about that specific point. I had understood the change from T1 to TR rolling stock change on Line 4 was primarily for ATC based runs on Line 1 to maintenance facilities, which T1s could not do.

I'm unsure about that specific point. I had understood the change from T1 to TR rolling stock on Line 4 was primarily for ATC based runs on Line 1 to maintenance facilities, which T1s could not do.

I believe you are correct on that point. I had forgotten about the T1 replacement there.

Which is probably where my confusion came from. I thought I had read something at some point about Line 4 being ATC-ready already, but it was likely the T1 replacements that made them ready to get to their maintenance facilities on Line 1 and not Line 4 itself.

Which is probably where my confusion came from. I thought I had read something at some point about Line 4 being ATC-ready already, but it was likely the T1 replacements that made them ready to get to their maintenance facilities on Line 1 and not Line 4 itself.
I think back in the purchase order amendment, the TTC justification for putting TR trainsets on Line 4, was so they could run using ATC on Line 1 - which happens very frequently. No ATC on Line 4 yet - I'd think it would be last, if ever, giving how relatively modern the signalling system is there; though perhaps the TTC can unload the cost on the province if they extend Line 4 to McCowan (Sheppard East) like they've promised.

I think back in the purchase order amendment, the TTC justification for putting TR trainsets on Line 4, was so they could run using ATC on Line 1 - which happens very frequently. No ATC on Line 4 yet - I'd think it would be last, if ever, giving how relatively modern the signalling system is there; though perhaps the TTC can unload the cost on the province if they extend Line 4 to McCowan (Sheppard East) like they've promised.
It must be boring enough already for the operators on Line 4 without the trains driving themselves.

On ATC, Steve Munro has a post-meeting write-up of the last regularly scheduled TTC meeting of this term back on July 14th and it includes some ATC info.

Link here: https://stevemunro.ca/2022/07/21/ttc-board-meeting-july-14-2022/#more-46712

From the above:

1658512385085.png

1658512412255.png

ATC's completion is great news! Are trains running at full speed between stations on Line 1 now, or is there still some testing that needs to be done?

ATC cannot predict things like crews taking long breaks at terminals or total disregard for scheduling.

So now there're going to be optimizing schedules and the number of trains to avoid having trains crawl the last few km's, righ

• Angry
Reactions: max

Back