News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Two cycling updates:

Cycle Tracks on Danforth extended east to Victoria Park:

and University Avenue Cycle Tracks extended to just south of King Street (protection imminent, don't worry)

View attachment 409740
View attachment 409743

On the top the Danforth one; someone will have to tell the nice soul that Kingston Road makes no sense until you fix the way it relates to Danforth (make it an at-grade, regularized, intersection.)

I think Cycle tracks to Birchmount makes sense for now; then we need to get that intersection fixed. You can't merge a cycle track on the wrong side of the road in a highway style interchange, at speed.

An interim solution might be a multi-use trail on the north side of Danforth, east of Birchmount as their is ample public land available.

On the top the Danforth one; someone will have to tell the nice soul that Kingston Road makes no sense until you fix the way it relates to Danforth (make it an at-grade, regularized, intersection.)

I think Cycle tracks to Birchmount makes sense for now; then we need to get that intersection fixed. You can't merge a cycle track on the wrong side of the road in a highway style interchange, at speed.

An interim solution might be a multi-use trail on the north side of Danforth, east of Birchmount as their is ample public land available.
Plan looks to be extend the lane to Birchmount, then south on Birchmount to Kingston rd., along Kingston/Green Everest until Cliffside at which point it will go back up to Kingston rd which is set to get some sort of bike infra all the way to Eglinton. However, I would imagine the long term plan is to normalize the Danforth-Kingston intersection.

Plan looks to be extend the lane to Birchmount, then south on Birchmount to Kingston rd., along Kingston/Green Everest until Cliffside at which point it will go back up to Kingston rd which is set to get some sort of bike infra all the way to Eglinton

That is indeed what Cycling is hoping to implement, as soon as next year; but that will require Councillor Crawford's blessing.

. However, I would imagine the long term plan is to normalize the Danforth-Kingston intersection.

Planning has a report from a number of years ago on how to do just that.

They certainly hope to implement it at some point, but as yet, it is completely unfunded and not in the 10-year capital budget.

Here's a post of mine which shows the prospective plan:

nfrastructure and Environment Committee consideration on July 7, 2022
IE31.11
ACTION​
Ward: 1, 5​
2022 Mid Humber Gap Municipal Class Environmental Assessment
Origin
(June 23, 2022) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services and General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation​
Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services and the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation recommend that:

1. City Council endorse the recommended preferred trail alignment concept for the Mid Humber Gap to include the in-valley Concept 1A as per Attachment 1.

2. City Council request the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority and General Manager, Transportation Services and General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation to prepare the Final Report, issue the Notice of Completion, and put the Final Report in the public record in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment.​
Summary
The Mid Humber Gap is located within Wards 1 (Etobicoke North) and Ward 5 (York-South Weston). It refers to an 800 metre (m) gap in the Humber River Trail between Crawford-Jones Memorial Park to the north, and the Mallaby Park to the south.

The Mid Humber Gap constitutes a significant barrier to a continuous Humber River Trail system from Toronto’s northwest boundary to Lake Ontario and is also a barrier to delivering the future Loop Trail. The Loop Trail will be a continuous 65 kilometre off-road, multi-use ring trail that will connect multiple ravines, neighbourhoods, and trail systems throughout Toronto.​

Infrastructure and Environment Committee consideration on July 7, 2022
IE31.12
ACTION​
Ward: 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 22​
Cycling Network Plan - 2022 Cycling Infrastructure Installation - Second Quarter Project Updates
Origin
(June 23, 2022) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the installation of Gerrard Street Complete Street project and all required Chapter 886, 910, and 950 by-law amendments on the following sections of roadway, as generally described in Attachment 2 - Gerrard Street Complete Street By-Laws:

a. Gerrard Street East (Sherbourne Street to Parliament Street);

b. Gerrard Street East (Parliament Street to Blackburn Street).

2. City Council authorize the installation of Renewing Overlea Boulevard project and all required Chapter 886 and 950 by-law amendments, on the following sections of roadway, as generally described in Attachment 3 - Renewing Overlea Boulevard By-Laws:

a. Gateway Boulevard (Don Mills Road (south intersection) to 100 metres to the east);

b. Don Mills Road (100 metres north of Gateway Boulevard (south intersection) to 20 metres to the south);

c. Overlea Boulevard (75 metres west of Thorncliffe Park Drive to Don Mills Road);

d. Thorncliffe Park Drive (125 metres south to 100 metres north of Overlea Boulevard (east intersection)).

3. City Council authorize the installation of Martin Grove Cycling Connections project between Eglinton Avenue West and Dundas Street West and all required Chapter 886 and 950 by-law amendments, as generally described in Attachment 4 - Martin Grove Cycling Connections By-Laws:

a. Martin Grove Road (Eglinton Avenue West to point 115 metres south of Nottinghill Gate/Winterton Drive);

b. Martin Grove Road (Burnhamthorpe Road intersection to a point 92 metres north).

4. City Council authorize the installation of Shuter Street and River Street intersection project and all required Chapter 886, and 950 by-law amendments, as generally described in Attachment 5 - Shuter Street and River Street Intersection By-Laws:

a. Shuter Street (Sumach Street to River Street);

b. River Street (Wascana Lane to Shuter Street).

5. City Council amend cycling, traffic and parking regulations required in Chapter 886, Chapter 910 and Chapter 950, as generally described in Attachment 6- Technical Amendments.​

Infrastructure and Environment Committee consideration on July 7, 2022
IE31.16
ACTION​
Ward: 8​
Update on Planned Improvements to the York Beltline Trail and Kay Gardner Beltline Trail in Ward 8
Origin
(June 23, 2022) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. Infrastructure and Environment Committee receive this report for information.​
Summary
This report provides an update on planned cycling and safety improvements to the York Beltline Trail and the Kay Gardner Beltline Trail segments in Ward 8, including planned connections between the two trails and to the future Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit stations, improved crossings where the trails meet city roadways, and new or improved wayfinding signs.

The Cycling Network Plan Near-Term Implementation Program (2022-2024) identifies the implementation and study of several bikeways (trails, cycle tracks, contra-flow bike lanes) that connect to the future Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit and its stations, as well as opportunities for an improved connection between the York Beltline Trail and Kay Gardner Beltline Trail.

Beyond the larger capital projects included in the Cycling Network Plan, Transportation Services conducted a review of locations where the trails intersect with city roadways and have recommended improved pedestrian and cycling crossings at Caledonia Road, Ronald Avenue and Old Park Road.

Further, a full review and upgrade of bicycle wayfinding signage for the North York area is planned to be undertaken in 2023, including portions of the York Beltline Trail and Kay Gardner Beltline Trail.

Parks, Forestry and Recreation, as part of an ongoing maintenance program, continues to monitor the trails to address specific issues of graffiti and trip hazards, and has plans for a pedestrian extension of the York Beltline Trail between Marlee Avenue and Allen Road in 2022.​

At the last meeting of Scarborough Community Council there was a presentation on the state of; and plans for cycling infrastructure in Scarborough.

That presentation can be accessed here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-228483.pdf

I won't repeat all the widely known bits (what has happened, is happening this year, or the longer term plans) But I will extract the slides about what is being looked at for 2023 and 2024:

1657212537799.png

1657212578801.png

1657212616346.png

At the last meeting of Scarborough Community Council there was a presentation on the state of; and plans for cycling infrastructure in Scarborough.

That presentation can be accessed here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-228483.pdf

I won't repeat all the widely known bits (what has happened, is happening this year, or the longer term plans) But I will extract the slides about what is being looked at for 2023 and 2024:

View attachment 412168

View attachment 412169

View attachment 412170
For any on street bicycle lanes, they may have more success with sustaining bike lanes if they get driver coalitions onside from the beginning. I don't know what that necessarily looks like (CAA?), but it would be best not to remove lanes later.

Am now in Copenhagen. The most bike friendly place I’ve ever been.

It's pretty remarkable, isn't it? It's hard to describe to people what it's really like if they've never actually been there before -- literally every single major and minor arterial (or their equivalent thereof) has a protected/raised bike lane, which means you never ever have to route plan on a bike. The power of just knowing that you can get from wherever you are to wherever your destination is without having to worry about fearing for your life is really the dream (which has already been realized in CPH).

Related to the Bartlett/Havelock/Gladstone bike lanes, the city tweeted out this diagram showing what's happening in detail south of Dufferin Grove: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/8ecf-DGLSHBookletweb.pdf

It's really nice to see in detail what's going on here:
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.25.34.png

But one part that has me confused is this section:
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.07.10.png

My understanding is that Havelock is one-way southbound south of the modal filter, so how would car traffic get to this section of Sylvan? This feels like it should be one-way eastbound with a contraflow lane for bikes. I wonder whether this is an error in the diagram or an oversight.

Back