I'm concerned that we are going to see a lot of this type of oil-canned alum. panel cladding with the new TGS standards. In fact, count on it.
I am optimistic we'll see a lot more precast-clad buildings as well, but I do worry about what the cheaper end of the spectrum is going to look like.

It's just not appropriate to use a basic 3mm aluminum panel all the way up a high-rise tower. It's going to weather terribly, if it's not oil-canned already the moment it's installed. A much more appropriate choice would be a panel with some sort of 'structural' backup to keep the panel rigid, like the ones used at River City.

Funny to see how far those homes have come. 18 Widmer was the home of Jam Van Inc. and Ecomium Gallery in a previous life. It was also one of the first Superkul projects:

1658247800483.png

1658247775430.png

Funny to see how far those homes have come. 18 Widmer was the home of Jam Van Inc. and Ecomium Gallery in a previous life. It was also one of the first Superkul projects:

View attachment 414560

View attachment 414559

I still think it's a shame that the old Victorians along the former hostel row just up the street on Widmer were full on demolished for the Central Condos project.

Old photo circa 2012

7367621884_89082e81ad_k.jpg

That Hyatt needs to go. It's absolutely hideous lol. The only reason it's not as bad as Terminal 3 at Pearson is because it's not green. The least they could do is clean it

That Hyatt needs to go. It's absolutely hideous lol. The only reason it's not as bad as Terminal 3 at Pearson is because it's not green. The least they could do is clean it
While its shape breaks up the monotony of grey spandrel boxes going up today...I can't help think that this is where the 401 Bay redo got its bathroom tile inspiration from. >.<

Do I love it? No.

But I’m afraid it would be replaced by another glass box. Having it adds some texture and variety making me lean towards keeping it.

Do I love it? No.

But I’m afraid it would be replaced by another glass box. Having it adds some texture and variety making me lean towards keeping it.
Should be reclad and expanded vertically. Maybe with a new modern-deco design that reuses the original curves.

Bad take. It's a fantastic, weird, different, building. I'd agree with a cleaning though.

Should be reclad and expanded vertically. Maybe with a new modern-deco design that reuses the original curves.
I'd love to see it reimagined, it just does nothing for the skyline nor the streetscape. I really like the mod-deco idea. I still think it's ugly but various opinions are the beauty of discussion threads haha

Given its location, a $50million* make-over is what it needs.

First the exterior reclad:
Use something similar to BMO's gorgeous face-lift: white iridescent ceramic fritted glass (manufactured in Brampton! to achieve LEED certification). Add a thin touch of curvy black around the volumes.

Interior reno:
Do what whatever you want with the remaining $20-25million.

Funky spiral spire: includes LEDs and logo/branding (optional at extra cost)

*BMO was $100million in 2010 so with inflation 20 storeys of reclad here in 2022 would be around $25- 30million

Last edited:

Back