News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't think gentrification will take hold much in suburban areas. It's not the traditional urban environment gentrifiers like.

You say potato, I say poutine. It may not be classic “gentrification”, but there will be an increase in residential rents, and turnover in retail as developers push them out to build new commercial developments (and raise rents and individual square footage requirements for tenants).

Doesn’t have to mean an influx of high end upscale folks, but it will put pressure on many to move, and will diminish the opportunity for small business and retail entrepreneurs.

- Paul

Are the finch buses going to continue running once the LRT is complete?

Probably not. The LRT stops on Finch are close by, typically 500 - 600 m apart. No real market for a parallel bus.

Even if an infrequent bus was running and making twice as many stops, it would be faster to walk the extra 200 m to the LRT stop, rather than wait 15/20/30 min for the bus.

Are the finch buses going to continue running once the LRT is complete?

No parallel bus service has been proposed. This is what the connecting bus network would look like from the 2023 Annual Service Plan. Give them a suggestion if you don't like the changes.
43f8d72c-5431-4676-ae1f-e5ecf40860de.png

I used to but i believe there were community complaints about some of the long walks between surface stops and it not being accessible so they extended the bus service to kennedy
Which I find incredibly annoying. There are a few on Eglinton that should be cut, and clearly only exists so that they could replace bus service. But now we have a bus service, so it effectively becomes a situation of "we have a local bus service, and we have an LRT that has too many stops that slow down trip times.

Any particular reason for having 2 doors so close by in the first and last cars?
It comes down to the fundamental issue with Low Floor vehicles, you are very limited in where you can place your doors. A lot of room has to be left for the bogeys, you basically have to place your doors in places where the space isn't taken up by something else. This typically leads to the problem of having less doors, thus having a smaller throughput of people entering and exiting the train, thus increasing dwell times. The reason why the 2 doors are close to eachother here is likely because they had the room for it, and thus it would slightly reduce the impact of this problem.

I like the Flexity Freedom design more. It seems more modular and the doors are spaced out more evenly.
Doors should be fine - there are 7 doors, rather than 4, and the car is only about 60% longer.

But there are only 4 modules on the 48.5m-long Alstom cars, compared to the 5 on the 30.2-m long Flexity Freedom!

Compare to the 42m-long Flexity Freedoms they are using in Edmonton - which have 7 modules!

I wonder how the turning radius compare's.

Back