News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Last Sunday, I said to my wife "I think the market is open on Sundays now" so we went there, only to be faced with locked doors and these signs.

Though their website (which still says the Antique Market is open) does not say anything; there are finally signs up reminding us that the St Lawrence Market is open on Sundays starting NEXT SUNDAY, 31 July!
If you wait long enough for the banner to scroll through, the new hours are shown. But as you pointed out, no one has bothered to change the info on the page.

If you wait long enough for the banner to scroll through, the new hours are shown. But as you pointed out, no one has bothered to change the info on the page.

I just sent them a note about the website, hopefully they'll fix it, we shall see.

This from St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn.

1658850493610.png

From my 6km stroll today, a couple of quick shots of Berkeley Street just north of Front; and then some of the mess at Wellington/Front/Church. Photos taken July 26, 2022:

First one of my favourite streetscape/landscape jobs, not sure if the building or the BIA does the annual flowers, but its always a great display:

DSC08712.JPG

Now, from immediately north of that, a pothole.........LOL...........that I took note of.......because it revealed the original, or a least much older treatment of Berkeley St. Brick!

DSC08711.JPG

I would love to see that original surface exposed and restored, along side the nice boulevard in shot one............

On to the messy area:

DSC08744.JPG

DSC08745.JPG
DSC08746.JPG

DSC08747.JPG

Last edited:
What are you talking about? There has been no suggestion that the 501 streetcars will not return to Queen between Victoria and York once the OL excavations are over.

Church has had streetcar overhead for MANY decades from Wellington to Carleton, most has already been upgraded for pantographs. The tracks north of King are part of several quite regular diversions and short turns. As noted above, the westbound streetcar tracks on Wellington are being replaced and the 503 will then return to its regular route.
EEK. I was just speculating. Sorry for creating confusion.

The City just sent out this:

News Release

July 28, 2022

St. Lawrence Market launches expanded hours of operation starting Sunday, July 31 with special events and activities

Hours of operation at the City of Toronto's St. Lawrence Market will be expanded for a one-year pilot project, starting this Sunday, July 31.

The pilot project is the result of a recent review of the Market's hours of operation, which included public feedback and an evaluation of how operational improvements can help the Market better serve residents of Toronto and visitors to the city.

New operating hours for the South Market (main building) under the pilot will be:

• Tuesdays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

• Saturdays, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Sundays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Closed on Mondays

The St. Lawrence Market Saturday Farmers Market will continue to operate from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekly.

As the Market transitions into the expanded hours of operation, Tuesdays will be a flexible day for South Market merchants for the first six weeks. Each Tuesday, up to and including Tuesday, September 6, some merchants may be closed to the public or operate with reduced hours. St. Lawrence Market will keep customers informed of modified merchant operations on Tuesdays on its website www.stlawrencemarket.com/. All merchants will be open for the full duration of operating hours on all other days.

The pilot will run for one year from July 31 and will inform a more permanent operating schedule for the remainder of 2023 and beyond. The revised hours of operation will make the Market more accessible with service hours that meet visitors' changing needs and preferences.

The changes include having the Market open on Sundays, as well as later morning opening times and later weekday evening closing times. Consumer feedback received in the recent public survey conducted by the City indicated that there was high demand for customers to be able to shop after regular office working hours and on Sundays as an additional weekend shopping day. Based on this feedback the expanded operating hours include two additional hours of operation each weekday evening and a seven-hour additional shopping day on Sundays.

Events and activities on Sunday, July 31 St. Lawrence Market encourages Toronto residents and visitors to join the expanded hours opening celebrations this Sunday. The Market will open at 10 a.m. and the first 2,000 customers will receive a free, reusable shopping bag.

On site to kick-off the Market's new operating hours and the new Sunday Chef Series with live cooking demonstrations and samples will be Toronto's own Chef Victor Barry (Chef-Owner PIANO PIANO). Chef Victor and his family will show off their pizza-making skills in the wood-fired pizza oven using fresh ingredients from St. Lawrence Market merchants. Demonstrations, which will run from noon to 2:30 p.m., will show how to make fresh pizzas with the entire family. Chef Victor will be available in person to provide great Italian cooking tips.

Additional St. Lawrence Market Sunday Chef Series events will be announced in the coming days.

On Sunday, visitors can also enjoy food and beverages inside the Market and outside on the pedestrianized Market Street. Delicious snacks from Market merchants will be available for sale outside on Market Street, along with beer, wine and cocktails by partner SIP Niagara and the Gastro Guru Jeremy Parsons.

Kids and families can enjoy roaming performers including magicians and balloon twisters, while visitors of all ages will hear live jazz music throughout the day.

More information about the hours of operation pilot project and upcoming events is available on the St. Lawrence Market website: www.stlawrencemarket.com/.

Though it is hard to believe that this expansion of hours is not universally welcomed by customers (and many merchants) I hear there is an email campaign to stop it. If you like the new hours (or have other comments) you may want to email the Mayor Mayor Tory <Mayor_Tory@toronto.ca> and/or the Market Manager - Daniel Picheca <Daniel.Picheca@toronto.ca>

Well I can understand that it's hard for the merchants as they are working extra hours now. But hopefully the economics works out to justify it (at least financially).

Though it is hard to believe that this expansion of hours is not universally welcomed by customers (and many merchants) I hear there is an email campaign to stop it. If you like the new hours (or have other comments) you may want to email the Mayor Mayor Tory <Mayor_Tory@toronto.ca> and/or the Market Manager - Daniel Picheca <Daniel.Picheca@toronto.ca>
The two-hour disparity of hours on Saturday morning between the Farmer's market and the main building is an unfortunate decision.

The two-hour disparity of hours on Saturday morning between the Farmer's market and the main building is an unfortunate decision.

I agree, I think the earlyness of the start was a function of a different time; I know some people love the tradition.........but I think for the majority of customers, pushing back the start of the Farmer's market to 7am, and then running it til 3pm would be fine.

I would add, I wouldn't object if they went longer on the Saturday, but I doubt it would materially change their sales, so I'd be fine w/the 3pm wrap-up.

I agree, I think the earlyness of the start was a function of a different time; I know some people love the tradition.........but I think for the majority of customers, pushing back the start of the Farmer's market to 7am, and then running it til 3pm would be fine.

I would add, I wouldn't object if they went longer on the Saturday, but I doubt it would materially change their sales, so I'd be fine w/the 3pm wrap-up.

Even the Farmers Market at St Jacobs only opens at 7 am.

I do not want to know the kind of people who wake up early to be at a farmers market for 5 am. That is a special level of a dedication (and possible other issues).

Even the Farmers Market at St Jacobs only opens at 7 am.

I do not want to know the kind of people who wake up early to be at a farmers market for 5 am. That is a special level of a dedication (and possible other issues).
Though I do not often get to the Saturday Market before 7am, on the few occasions I have been there earlier it is surprising how popular it is. The farmers tell me they like the early start so that they can finish by 3 and get back home again.

Back