News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Did anyone register for/watch yesterday's presentation on the expansion plan? I missed it, and there's no replay option.

I attended, I somehow only ended up taking one screenshot but there are a few others on Twitter. The presenter said it would be available to view afterwards so maybe the link is coming?

The gist: aiming to have 20% of their fleet as eBikes, 1000 bikes by EOY, BikeShare at every single TTC station, expand to the island in the next 12-18 months I believe and also to all 26 wards.

Cursor_and_Zoom_Webinar.jpg

I attended, I somehow only ended up taking one screenshot but there are a few others on Twitter. The presenter said it would be available to view afterwards so maybe the link is coming?

The gist: aiming to have 20% of their fleet as eBikes, 1000 bikes by EOY, BikeShare at every single TTC station, expand to the island in the next 12-18 months I believe and also to all 26 wards.

View attachment 418967

Thanks!

The amount of real (and I mean real, not a painted line) bike infrastructure in this city is pitiful. With all this demand in spite of the infrastructure, imagine what would happen if we started rolling it out Dutch style. City would be transformed in 10 years...

There's no question the pace has been glacial until recently..........but, we have seen a real pick-up in pace. Granted, not to the level I'd like, and not without some ongoing headaches that I frequently document......

But....barring nasty surprises..........This City will be transformed in 10 years.

I don't often tout bureaucrats personally; but I really like Becky Katz (Head of Toronto's Cycling Unit); and many of her team, like her, are true believers and regular and/or every day cyclists.

Change is coming. Not fast enough.........but don't lose hope.

Next year should be really good if Council doesn't stifle the tentative plans.

I mean if you look where the city was in terms of cycling infrastructure in 2012 and today, it's revolutionary. 2012 had painted lanes on what, College, Davenport, Shuter, Wellesley, strachan, river, dundas, fort york, and Gerrard, and protected lanes on Sherbourne, and nothing else downtown basically?

I mean since then we have seen protected lanes and trials go in on:
  • waterfront
  • yonge
  • richmond/adelaide
  • bloor
  • esplanade
  • Dozens of neighbourhood connections
  • Woodbine
  • Bayview Avenue
  • Various in Flemingdon and Thornecliffe Parks
  • Eglinton
  • etc., etc., etc.
  • Basically all the existing lanes upgraded to protected lanes (or at least will be upgraded very soon)
Another 10 years and it'll be completely different again.

There's no question the pace has been glacial until recently..........but, we have seen a real pick-up in pace. Granted, not to the level I'd like, and not without some ongoing headaches that I frequently document......

But....barring nasty surprises..........This City will be transformed in 10 years.

I don't often tout bureaucrats personally; but I really like Becky Katz (Head of Toronto's Cycling Unit); and many of her team, like her, are true believers and regular and/or every day cyclists.

Change is coming. Not fast enough.........but don't lose hope.

Next year should be really good if Council doesn't stifle the tentative plans.

What’s a bit irritating about bike lanes is the only thing slowing it down massive expansion is politics.

Unlike buildings and transit infrastructure it takes pennies and minimal construction time to build up fully protected bike lanes.

What’s a bit irritating about bike lanes is the only thing slowing it down massive expansion is politics.

That certainly plays a material role; though it isn't the only issue; there are variety of factors that play into whether and when a given cycling project is delivered. At the general level; there's traffic capacity studies, a desire to coordinate work with regular resurfacing and reconstruction when possible, to avoid investing where near-term reconstruction will rip everything back up (Ontario Line, or future routine road work, or a large construction site with an on-road staging area)...

On a specific level, the fuss Canada Post put up to avoid cycling facilities adjacent to its Lakeshore Blvd facility was enormous.

Unlike buildings and transit infrastructure it takes pennies and minimal construction time to build up fully protected bike lanes.

Well.......its certainly a couple of orders of magnitude cheaper than subways...........

But Toronto's 10-year budget for Cycling infra is 210M

Presentation of the Bike Share webinar now available

Thank you to everyone who attended the Public Info Session last Monday. As a follow-up to the session, we are forwarding you the presentation slide deck (see WeTransfer link below) and recording.

WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/t-YEqp0V6IeA

Presentation recording: https://bikesharetoronto.com/news/4-year-growth/

Listening to the above, I can confirm Bikeshare stations (plural) will be rolled out to 'The Well' site sometime this fall.

Also, Sheppard Avenue East will be an early priority with Bikeshare integrated into the big capital project proposed for Sheppard (resurfacing/reconstruction, cycle tracks)

Bikeshare is being integrated into the plans for the Downsview lands.

Payment modernization is being looked at, but is at least a couple years off. Among things under study, introducing 'tap' at docks, integration with Presto (the impression given is that Mx isn't on board yet); and easier payment via the website and app.

Notable near-term omissions; no Bikeshare proposed for Eglinton west of Jane; nothing on Queensway west of Royal York.

On the commitment to get bikeshare to every subway station.........they are actually expecting to get to 70-80% of stations in this plan (through 2025); they're commitment is that further growth will come beyond this plan, with 100% of subway stations covered by 2030.

They are examining the idea of crediting/incenting Bikeshare users if they help re-balance the system. (ie. if you ride a bike from a fully loaded station to an empty station)

Back