News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

the thing about the extra ebike cost, its gotta be like guaranteed ebike availability, otherwise youre still riding the manual ones anyway

the thing about the extra ebike cost, its gotta be like guaranteed ebike availability, otherwise youre still riding the manual ones anyway

It might not be a yearly surcharge. Maybe they'll charge a small per-minute e-bike surcharge, like they do in New York City.

But then again, in Paris, France, it's a fixed surcharge. If you want e-bike access, this causes the price of your yearly membership to more than double. (Source.)

There's never a 100% guarantee of e-bike availability. If you're at a station with no e-bikes, you have two choices. You can either bike to a station that has e-bikes, or you can just use a mechanical bike instead. But, in systems which charge extra money for e-bike use, the availability of e-bikes is often quite reasonable.

Whether it's a per-minute surcharge or a yearly surcharge, I understand the basis for it, and I might indeed choose to pay it here in Toronto. :)

They can never give a guarantee you will get a bike (or a dock) no matter whether it's a 'traditional' bike or an e-bike.
ya, but right now its super rare that you dont. if its like once a month you dont find an ebike then for sure id get the one for ebikes. but otherwise theres no point.
all im saying is that for the premium ebike fee to be worth it, there must be e-bikes available at least a majority of the time when looking for one

I wonder if they'll have a policy around letting you have an ebike for the regular rate if only ebikes are available at your dock.

I wonder if ebikes would see higher utilization and user satisfaction, to offset their higher upfront and opex cost.

I wonder if they'll have a policy around letting you have an ebike for the regular rate if only ebikes are available at your dock.

I highly doubt any such policy will be built into the software. In fact, I'm unaware of any bike-share system, anywhere in the world, which has such a policy built into their software.

The easiest way to avoid paying the e-bike rate is to walk to another station, in order to find a mechanical bike.

I wonder if ebikes would see higher utilization and user satisfaction, to offset their higher upfront and opex cost.

Yes. I believe that, in cities which have e-bikes, the e-bikes tend to be used more times per day on average than the mechanical bikes. This suggests to me that users like the e-bikes better. (At least some of the users like them better, if not all. Specifically, I mean the users who choose to borrow the e-bikes.)

Does it really make sense to charge more for them, in that case? It feels like this market is not mature.

Something to be said for the slight variations on the bikeshare model similar to OVFiets, where you can rent a bike for 24h for equivalent of $5.50, but you have to return it to the location you borrowed it from. Useful for last mile at your destination transit station. Not sure one market can support multiple different bikeshare models.

The per-minute surcharge in NYC has made it infeasible for delivery people to commandeer Citibike e-bikes, while allowing plenty of regular users to access them - so it’s doing it’s job. There’s also been a surge in private businesses offering e-bike and moped rentals for delivery people.

Reactions: max

Reactions: PL1
A new Bike Share Toronto thread, over at RedFlagDeals.com

I've just started a brand-new Bike Share Toronto thread in one of the RedFlagDeals.com discussion forums. The first post includes some general information about the system. Among other things, it explains how to return a bike without slamming it into the dock and stressing the dock's bumper.

The new thread is meant to complement this one, not to replace it. More threads on more forums means more people learning more about the system, and (eventually) more new system users.

You may view the new thread now, if you wish.

I will sheepishly confess to being a "dock-slammer". I intend to amend my practices now that I'm armed with this new information! Hopefully I haven't stressed too many bumpers! (I otherwise try to take good care of the bikes)

Great thread - thanks!

By the way, is there any way to tell at a glance if a bike (regular, non-e-bike) is going to be rubbish or not? What I mean is that some bikes are super smooth like butter and pedal beautifully, while others feel like you're towing a medium-sized boat. I've noticed that the brand new bikes (you can tell since the splash guard over the front wheel is a jet black) tend to be pretty good but occasionally you can get a dud.

Any "life hacks" on this or do you just need to check it out and take it for a test drive to be sure?

Bikeshare now has a station at Lumsden/Cedarvale (just east of Woodbine) This fills in significant network gap in East York.

1660843504530.png

Source:

I assume it is so new it has no bikes yet! Stations are great but stations without bike are not! :->

The app says they have one bike; I pulled that pic off their Twitter feed from a few days ago, they obviously took the pic before putting any bikes in!

The per-minute surcharge in NYC has made it infeasible for delivery people to commandeer Citibike e-bikes, while allowing plenty of regular users to access them - so it’s doing it’s job. There’s also been a surge in private businesses offering e-bike and moped rentals for delivery people.

If the New York City system would lower the per-minute e-bike surcharge somewhat, then a few delivery people might use Citi Bike e-bikes all day and pay the surcharge. The system could then take the extra revenue and use it to buy more e-bikes. This might provide a virtuous circle of benefit for everyone.

Back