It's easily the most hated building in NYC too. It even made some Seinfeld episodes.

OT - I have to say I dig the massive trusses - there is something very 70s/early 80s sci-fi about them. Anyways, NYC suffers from a range of issues, not the least of which is that straddles two states and doubles the sheer about of jurisdictional complexity.

AoD

Some news on the long-promised Artwork that is to be installed in the passageway below the "Plaza" - it is to celebrate the Walks & Gardens Trust.

Thank you for your inquiry about Flux, the public art to commemorate the Walks and Gardens Trust at Union Station, and sorry for the delay in responding. Like you, we are anxious to make progress on this important artwork. To that end, the Property Management team has recently been working with the artists at LabAU to resume work for the installation.

Delays due to construction and COVID were, unfortunately, unavoidable. Currently, we are addressing logistical and technical details that have changed significantly since COVID. We anticipate the technological review to be completed this fall, with installation to follow in 2023.

Let's hope it will be EARLY 2023!

Some news on the long-promised Artwork that is to be installed in the passageway below the "Plaza" - it is to celebrate the Walks & Gardens Trust.

Thank you for your inquiry about Flux, the public art to commemorate the Walks and Gardens Trust at Union Station, and sorry for the delay in responding. Like you, we are anxious to make progress on this important artwork. To that end, the Property Management team has recently been working with the artists at LabAU to resume work for the installation.

Delays due to construction and COVID were, unfortunately, unavoidable. Currently, we are addressing logistical and technical details that have changed significantly since COVID. We anticipate the technological review to be completed this fall, with installation to follow in 2023.

Let's hope it will be EARLY 2023!

We really need an eyeroll emoji.

AoD

Envying the PABT seems... odd.

New York has embarassingly poor transit connections to New Jersey and a completely laughable regional rail network, as well as hopelessly incompetent governance that will either not even realize the problem exists or if they do, attempt to fix the problem by spending twice as long and 10x the budget building the wrong project. Any sensible and competent city would have built regional rail and subways decades ago to replace all those buses.

With regional rail, the Union bus terminal should probably be smaller, not larger. Almost no commuter buses would sensibly go to Union, leaving only a handful of intercity buses.
Along with a dedicated subway system between Manhattan and New Jersey (PATH), NJ Transit runs a fairly robust network of fast and relatively frequent electrified regional rail trains from Penn Station to numerous points throughout the state. I am sure there are improvements to be made - as with any large scale metropolitan rail system - but it seems a bit of stretch to call it laughable.

Along with a dedicated subway system between Manhattan and New Jersey (PATH), NJ Transit runs a fairly robust network of fast and relatively frequent electrified regional rail trains from Penn Station to numerous points throughout the state. I am sure there are improvements to be made - as with any large scale metropolitan rail system - but it seems a bit of stretch to call it laughable.
Well I’m laughing, so, by definition, it is laughable.

1)NJT doesn't operate PATH.

2) NJT is absolutely, positively the worst transit system on earth. If it was even 20% more reliable and comfortable NJ's notorious road traffic would decrease by 50%.

Time to get back to Union station - the building.

This in the latest Union e-mag:

Driver Guide
Union's Foodie Aisle will be opening September 7th! Enjoy market style food from local chefs. Featuring: Butter Chicken Roti, Mean Bao, Grand Tacos Taqueria, Mikey's Smashburger and Union Chicken.

Ah they bumped it a few days, I had been told Sept 1st.

I think they may have decided to give staff at the places outside that are also in the Food Aisle a breather. (the premises are ready, except for being fully stocked)

Union Station is getting a 10,000ft2 Steakhouse; from Liberty Entertainment Group. It will be called 'Blue Bovine' (I kid you not)

It will be located in the Station's East Wing, here:

1661287462506.png

For additional details, click-through to Retail-Insider.

Union Station is getting a 10,000ft2 Steakhouse; from Liberty Entertainment Group. It will be called 'Blue Bovine' (I kid you not)

It will be located in the Station's East Wing, here:

View attachment 422124

For additional details, click-through to Retail-Insider.

Perfect for those like who me like their steak blue rare.

Back