Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Did someone say something about intensification on Danforth? Well..............

1661334741960.png

This is the site of a current medical office building; but was formerly the Palace Movie theatre.

Site as it is today (Aerial view from the Planning Report)

1661336212109.png

Architect is Studio JCI.

1661334899986.png

1661335060713.png

1661335099724.png

From the Planning Report:

1661336316046.png

* note the proposed connection to the subway/OL station.

1661335585780.png

1661335616723.png

1661335694441.png

1661335734688.png

1661335773483.png

1661335805790.png

Comments: Resident Park/commercial parking is not justified here.

More comments to come.

Last edited:
Interesting how it shows the future Ontario Line structure next door - I’m not sure we’ve seen any renderings of the Pape OL station yet. It looks clearly designed for a tower atop it as well, and noticeably has a sign on the front saying “LOBLAWS”

Paula Fletcher and the locals are going to be angry about this one.
I'll be writing in to show my support for this and any other high-density, tall builds on Danforth. Especially around subway stations. Chester Station is an embarrassment.

Can't help but notice the other tall developments around this one in one of those renders...

Interesting how it shows the future Ontario Line structure next door - I’m not sure we’ve seen any renderings of the Pape OL station yet. It looks clearly designed for a tower atop it as well, and noticeably has a sign on the front saying “LOBLAWS”
There's a rendering of Pape station here. It's got the same setback as the building in the tower rendering above but the exterior design is very different.

I'll be writing in to show my support for this and any other high-density, tall builds on Danforth. Especially around subway stations.

The height is fine here; I think the proposal itself needs some material refinement.

Chester Station is an embarrassment.

Chester will not see this kind of height, and I'm not sold that it should. I like the charm of 'Carrot Common'. There's certainly room to add density in that vicinity, don't get me wrong.......but a wall of 40-storey towers I could do without at that particular spot.

In any event, being next to SFH, some of which are heritage, The City controlling the key parcels that are directly over the subway, City goals for additional parkland in that area, along with shadowing protection for existing parks will severely limit any very tall build on the adjacent section of Danforth.

Broadview, on the other hand, has one corner in particular, the north-west, that has lots of potential, though the current use as a seniors residence would require some sensitivity.

Can't help but notice the other tall developments around this one in one of those renders...

It's a block context plan assumption, and indicates what the planners here suppose could be built nearby. It's not about tangible proposals at this stage.

It's not an unreasonable assumption, though it is important to note that it serves this proposal's interest to suggest that its height will not be outside the norm.

Wish this was more along the 30-40 storey height, but I understand why it's that tall/is a perfect location for it at what will be a transfer node. With those block plan assumtions.. is this the next "midtown"?

Happy to see the flower/produce/corner shop isn't affected by this. Hopefully the setbacks will improve the sidewalk as it's extremely tight there along Pape and bike lane widths an allow for a protected intersection. Maybe we can convince the city to turn pape into a complete street...

Happy to see the flower/produce/corner shop isn't affected by this. Hopefully the setbacks will improve the sidewalk as it's extremely tight there along Pape

The proposal adds 1.8M to the sidewalk along Pape. Which would bring it to 4.5M. I would argue there is a case for some further width here in light of the projected density.

and bike lane widths an allow for a protected intersection. Maybe we can convince the city to turn pape into a complete street...

Unless you're taking a travel lane for cars out (which I'm fine with); you won't satisfy that desire with a setback here, that would require at least another 4.5M.

I do think, with the O/L in place, and the associated decrease one would expect in both car and bus traffic, it is plausible to narrow Pape to provide for Cycle Tracks. Though, that's not currently in the City's plans, and next up in that area
is Donlands.

I'll probably get blasted for suggesting lower density, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the Danforth lined with towers. It seems better suited to the midrise density of Toronto's "avenues" approach. It's ripe for renewal though, with the exception of a few higher quality heritage buildings, it's actually one of the uglier main drags in the city. Lots of non-descript buildings and far too much EIFS.

Paula Fletcher and the locals are going to be angry about this one.

The opposition along the Danforth to midrises (8-12 story range) both completed and under construction, has been fairly minimal.

But 49 stories is a whole new ballgame. I anticipate a lot of local opposition.

I hope they redesign the base of the condo, which seems cold and instititional. It will hurt the project at the consultation stage where locals will be sure to point out that flaw.

My gut is that the final product ends up in the the high 30s/low 40s story range.

I echo what @egotrippin and @Northern Light have noted. My “ideal Danforth” would be a grand avenue with midrises with small retail and restaurant footprints. Still, I just can’t deny a condo tower next to a new transit hub.

Last edited:
I'll probably get blasted for suggesting lower density, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the Danforth lined with towers. It seems better suited to the midrise density of Toronto's "avenues" approach. It's ripe for renewal though, with the exception of a few higher quality heritage buildings, it's actually one of the uglier main drags in the city. Lots of non-descript buildings and far too much EIFS.

Well, I won't blast you, LOL.

I don't have a problem with greater height at this particular corner, but in general, I agree w/your preference for midrise form along much of the Danforth.

I think a few strategic peaks though is entirely reasonable, and this one would be a good a spot as any.

Though I really find the tower's form and placement a bit off here, and it comes off a bit clunky to me. Nothing that isn't fixable mind you.

I guess these 10 blocks of the Danforth are where the policies of the past and future are going to collide and play out. These 49 stories are proposed only 8 blocks from Playter, where the residents stopped a modest development to preserve a useless, postage stamp-sized parking lot and where large suburban-style LCBO and Shoppers were built without any added density. A strong mayor system would allow 49 stories to happen anywhere and resident opposition would be eliminated. Hope the Playter residents enjoy their parking lot.

Myself, I think this proposal is an abomination and completely out-of-scale with anything even remotely close to it. It would set a horrifying precedent. The midrise developments proposed around Donlands and Greenwood have a more appropriate scale and, ideally, transitional developments would taper from the avenue into the residential areas. This extreme is not a good answer to the opposite extreme of the status quo.

Back