1659801110350.png

This city has a weird tabletop obsession of 298 meters. As in, nothing shall go higher than First Canadian Place or blasphemy! Thankfully, there are buildings in the works, including this one, that will break that barrier.
There are two buildings already under construction that will break this barrier - The One and One Yonge.

This is from a special to the NP Auguest 24th:

"Gehry’s first new build in Canada, the towering Forma condo project currently in pre-construction at King Street West and Ed Mirvish Way, “will be an instant landmark, not just in Toronto, not just in Canada, but worldwide,” says Mitchell Cohen, chief operating officer of Westdale Properties, which joined co-developers Great Gulf Group and Dream Unlimited in launching sales of the 864 suites in Forma’s 73-storey East Tower in June. “Living in Frank’s homecoming masterpiece is about as compelling as it gets,” he continues, adding that most of the tower’s units have already been sold, with the few remaining hitting the market soon after Labour Day. “Why buy a piece of art when you can live in one?”

Sales of the 1,170 condo suites in the 84-storey West Tower, the tallest structure ever designed by Gehry, are slated to launch in 2023 after construction of the East Tower begins."
😀

There are two buildings already under construction that will break this barrier - The One and One Yonge.

That's great. First Canadian Place, while a beautiful building, is short of iconic. It never felt like one of the landmarks that gives the city its face.

There's really no reason why FCP should be the tallest in the city forever. Frankly, the city will be more distinguished if the likes of The One and Forma are allowed to rise above First Canadian Place. I'm confident that they'll both turn out better than FCP with regard to exterior architecture.

And, funny enough, FCP itself was fought desperately by Planning who claimed it would forever be a blight on our downtown. It took O&Y hiring a couple of former City folk, as well as some herculean legal gymnastics to get it entitled. And now? It either just fades into the skyline, or is a beloved building in its own right.

But Planning will never learn and will keep expending untold money and effort into fighting everything and losing almost every one of those battles. I'd say good riddance, but since those costs are born by both the developer and, in turn, the purchaser, the City should get bent.

And, funny enough, FCP itself was fought desperately by Planning who claimed it would forever be a blight on our downtown. It took O&Y hiring a couple of former City folk, as well as some herculean legal gymnastics to get it entitled. And now? It either just fades into the skyline, or is a beloved building in its own right.

But Planning will never learn and will keep expending untold money and effort into fighting everything and losing almost every one of those battles. I'd say good riddance, but since those costs are born by both the developer and, in turn, the purchaser, the City should get bent.
It is a blight compared to what it replaced. I'd take the old Bank of Montreal and Star Building over FCP any day. I actually don't mind FCP in its own right, but outside of being our tallest it's a pretty unremarkable International Style tower.

I enjoy FCP's tower, but the podium is far oversized and generally terrible. It is also a lot more attractive now than pre-recladding.

Generally it's probably my least favourite of the big-5's original towers. It's got size on it's side but it's generally crude and relies on it's sheer mass to impress compared to the other four complexes which are a lot more thoughtfully designed.

Last edited:
I enjoy FCP's tower, but the podium is far oversized and generally terrible. It is also a lot more attractive now than pre-recladding.

Generally it's probably my least favourite of the big-5's original towers. It's got size on it's side but it's generally crude and relies on it's sheer mass to impress compared to the other four complexes which are a lot more thoughtfully designed.
If anything that's probably my bigger issue with FCP, the massive sterile podium. Not only did we lose one of our finest Art Deco towers and a block full of beautiful buildings, but much of it was lost for a podium. Such a waste.

"Gehry’s first new build in Canada, the towering Forma condo project currently in pre-construction at King Street West and Ed Mirvish Way, “will be an instant landmark, not just in Toronto, not just in Canada, but worldwide,” says Mitchell Cohen,
😀
Too much exaggeration? Instant landmark worldwide?!!

Too much exaggeration? Instant landmark worldwide?!!
Maybe, but they want to sell the tower. It's really unique and amazing. I don't know about it being an instant landmark worldwide, but I think if it gets built as planned, it will capture a lot of attention, and it will be talked about. I know what you're saying, but everybody kind of does the overselling thing.

If a company came out with a terrible product, like a Weight Loss Plan called "Drink Yourself Thin!" which told people to basically drink every day and don't eat any food because food has calories, and even though alcohol does, too, if you just drink alcohol every day, you'll lose lots of weight. Many people would find it tasteless and a terrible idea. But the company would sell it, defend it, and try to convince everybody that it was good for them and the greatest weight loss plan ever! It's just how people and companies are!🙄

Back