Okay man. Don't listen to me.

I am literally advocating for London-style suburbs. No "downtown culture" or "elitist thinking". But whatever.
As someone from the GTA who currently lives in London and has for the past four years, all I will say is nearly every British person I've met here that has been to Toronto really enjoys it and would love to go back to visit, or they've heard good things and are planning to go one day.

And on London style metro, I should point out, that significant portions of it are elevated or trenched, especially just outside Zone 1 ("Central London"). The new Elizabeth Line is essentially what SmartTrack promised, using existing railways (west of Paddington, east of Liverpool Street) and having a new central tunnel. South London, particularly Croydon, Bromley and Merton, is served by a modern

Also London-style suburbs is a weird thing to say. Technically, Greater London is a collection of independent boroughs which are technically towns in their own right, with town halls, high streets (retail-type main street except most British towns and cities have multiple, not just one town centre,) individual waste collection, etc. Zoning is handled hyper-locally and each borough has a different approach than other. Greater London is really mostly there for fire, police, culture and transport and there really isn't anything like the equivalent yellow-belt. Some areas are more "suburban" than others, but even the plainest British suburbia is more dense than in Canada.

No reason Port Credit and Cooksvillr can't become urban nodes themselves. The Milton Line needs a long term solution to provide high quality regional connectivity and that will drive ultimately the highest density and value. I can imagine the whole district from Square One to Cooksville GO to Dundas becoming urbanized.
From eglinton to dundas on hurontario is going to explode. But it’s as “FAKE” as my Christmas tree.

David MILLER lived in Swansea. In fact, I think he still does.
Oh somehow I thought he was around yonge and davisville. Karen stinz was yonge and eglinton.

Either way Toronto has had its share of “urban” mayors. Yet let’s rebuild the Gardner, bury the eglinton west lrt, freak out about the st Clair streetcar row, let construction boom in Humber bay shores despite no transit close by, deny condo applications at dundas and bloor directly beside a subway station because NIMBYs, refuse to toll the dvp and Gardner and allow a airport to run out of the islands. Very progressive but hey the 905 has everything wrong.

Last edited:
David Crombie ended up at Yonge & Eglinton. And when Mel and Marilyn vacated North York, I think they ended up at Yonge & St. Clair.
So it’s not the mayors which aren’t progressive but the voters. I thought all of Toronto was a urban oasis based on this thread shouldn’t they all hate the personal vehicle

As someone from the GTA who currently lives in London and has for the past four years, all I will say is nearly every British person I've met here that has been to Toronto really enjoys it and would love to go back to visit, or they've heard good things and are planning to go one day.

And on London style metro, I should point out, that significant portions of it are elevated or trenched, especially just outside Zone 1 ("Central London"). The new Elizabeth Line is essentially what SmartTrack promised, using existing railways (west of Paddington, east of Liverpool Street) and having a new central tunnel. South London, particularly Croydon, Bromley and Merton, is served by a modern

Also London-style suburbs is a weird thing to say. Technically, Greater London is a collection of independent boroughs which are technically towns in their own right, with town halls, high streets (retail-type main street except most British towns and cities have multiple, not just one town centre,) individual waste collection, etc. Zoning is handled hyper-locally and each borough has a different approach than other. Greater London is really mostly there for fire, police, culture and transport and there really isn't anything like the equivalent yellow-belt. Some areas are more "suburban" than others, but even the plainest British suburbia is more dense than in Canada.

Just because I said "suburb" didn't mean I meant "North American style car dependent suburb". The original suburbs where literally around London, before those areas got absorbed into it. Places like Kingsbury in Brent. They are still suburbs, but they are more walkable and have better transit connections then ours do due to the fact that they were built before the car, and of course because they are more dense. A good example of North American pre-car suburbs are places like Cabbagetown in Toronto. And yes, they don't have a yellow belt because here we have hyper euclidean zoning that means we can't have things like "high streets" in modern subrubs. Things like lot splitting and "right to build" would densify our suburbs, zoning changes would allow for high streets, and local planning would help reshape our towns and cities into better and more walkable places to live. Transit is also crucial of course. North York is basically as dense as a London suburb but it needs more transit, as there is quite a bit of car use.

University avenue and lakeshore are practically urban free ways as well. The point is the car is king in Toronto as well. You guys are burying a lrt in eglinton west because guess what the car is king. Sheppard east lrt is cancelled because car is king in Scarborough. Don’t act too pretentious. Toronto isn’t exactly old Quebec City. A large part of it is pretty dang car centric.
We buried Eglinton West because we want to spend proper money to build something actually good. Transit City and all of these LRTs are an excuse to cheap out so we can spend more money on things not related to transit.

Last edited:
We buried Eglinton West because we want to spend proper money to build something actually good. Transit City and all of these LRTs are an excuse to cheap out so we can spend more money on things not related to transit.
Eglinton West was to been elevated on the side of the road with flyover over major intersections along with a cycling trail beside it. That was before the Fords got the land sold off to their friendly developers.

Why is it that Europe has no issues running on the surface either in an ROW or mix traffic?? Most roads are single lanes in most cases.

Just think how much more of track can be built on the surface with the same amount of money putting the line underground for a shorter section as well having it up and running years before the tunnel is ready for use.

A lot of the board member are fix on speed considering most riders don't go from end to end in the first place. It to service the local and mid needs.

Tunnels are needed where surface area can't support the needs of an surface line in the first place or where there is a long distance between stops

For local service you are better off with simple stops, smaller vehicles and less grade separation. Make it cheap. For regional connectivity, it should be fast, and that requires proper grade separation.

Back