I don't understand. Mississauga has to start somewhere. I'd love to see more rail lines in the future. Putting this convenient train at eye level will do more to encourage ridership and desire for more lines than would some kind of elevated monstrosity eyesore expensive gaffe.

I don't understand. Mississauga has to start somewhere. I'd love to see more rail lines in the future. Putting this convenient train at eye level will do more to encourage ridership and desire for more lines than would some kind of elevated monstrosity eyesore expensive gaffe.

Like trying to build a house with siding...
You didn't build the frame.

It's not good enough because it's a huge city without any rail transit at all. Sure, if they had one or two highest order lines then providing more local services with trams on connecting lines would be great.
what is your obsession with nit picking Mississauga which you dont even live in. I listed the other Canadian cities which Mississauga population falls in line with yet you seem to want to compare it to Toronto. You seem to want to make Mississauga something it is not... sorry again for engaging because again we will talk in circles. You havent even expressed your fantasy for Mississauga to make it the utopia you think it should be. Rather you keep shooting down something under construction. BTW there are fantasy threads for your dreams.. This is supposed to be the place we see construction being posted. Not litigating past decisions.

Better yet. Run for Mayor. I would love to see your platform and how well people take to it.

It's not good enough because it's a huge city without any rail transit at all. Sure, if they had one or two highest order lines then providing more local services with trams on connecting lines would be great.

Did you miss Lakeshore GO?

That line will, be every 15M at minimum, all-day within the next couple of years; and 1/2 that at rushhour.

There are early indications that the winning bidder and Mx have, in fact, seriously discussed higher service levels (every 10M or better off-peak and 5M peak).

A subway in Mississauga is not/was not a near-term option; whether or not you give it another name or elevate it.

There will be other investments. Milton 2-way, all-day is coming, with 30M off-peak frequency. Excuse the public theatrics...........its coming, though it will be awhile yet.

The Eglinton Crosstown West will bring service closer to Mississauga, and that, will in turn, be extended to the airport; and quite likely beyond in the years ahead.

Will Mississauga be a transit paradise anytime soon? No. Will it be much better than it is today?, Yes.

Will this LRT contribute to that result? Yes.

Lets stop getting caught up in spending 100B we don't have. on fantasies.

There are some ideas that are on the edge of viable, and can be pushed, a light/metro/subway on Hurontario is not and was not one. Lets revisit it in 20 years.

Last edited:
September 4th
DJI_0241.JPG
DJI_0240.JPG

We have the transitway ROW that shouldn't be counted out which could easily be converted into light rail, on top of the Lakeshore line providing more metro style frequency in the next couple years. If Milton gets its long awaited all day service, thats 6 whole stations cutting across the whole city E-W that'll be getting frequent rail service as well. That's already 3 potential higher order lines. The city might still be at a slow pace when it comes to building its rail network, but it is going to get there just give it time.

We have the transitway ROW that shouldn't be counted out which could easily be converted into light rail, on top of the Lakeshore line providing more metro style frequency in the next couple years. If Milton gets its long awaited all day service, thats 6 whole stations cutting across the whole city E-W that'll be getting frequent rail service as well. That's already 3 potential higher order lines. The city might still be at a slow pace when it comes to building its rail network, but it is going to get there just give it time.
The Transitway can partly converted to LRT/BRT at some point when ridership demands it. The Transitway is a GO Thing that service more GO bus route and riders than miWay does. The Transitway has to be both LRT and BRT at the same time.

Until the missing section is built and is part of a whole Transitway, the LRT will only go as far as Sq One. Ridership west of Sq One doesn't justify an LRT until 2050, if then since it a GO Thing with poor ridership.

Having an LRT line from Sq One to Toronto offer another option how to get to mid Toronto or upper Toronto faster than it is today.

I can see the Finch LRT connecting to the Transitway to/from Sq One

Not everyone is going downtown Toronto, but then GO Rail Lines only go that route, forcing travelers to a longer travel time.

Having an LRT line from Sq One to Toronto offer another option how to get to mid Toronto or upper Toronto faster than it is today.
It would take 45 minutes just to get from Sq One to Eg West station on an LRT line. I think an express bus would be more practical. If Lakeshore does get upgraded to 5 minute frequency, it would probably be faster to go that way to Toronto.

It seems very wasteful to spend money on LRT when it would not be fast enough to be regional transit. If the BRT transitway achieves high enough ridership, put in something fast and relieve it that way. Or frankly, just spend the money upgrading the Milton Line.

Can you share the math by which you reached the conclusion that an express bus would be the faster choice?

Can you share the math by which you reached the conclusion that an express bus would be the faster choice?
Mississauga Transitway from City Centre to Renforth is 12 minutes per GO's website. That's 10 km in 12 min, or 50 kph average speed. LRT, such as HuLRT averages around 30 kph, and can't offer express service because LRTs generally can't overtake.

I'm frankly amazed you find this controversial.

Why wouldn't I find it controversial? If you took the transitway, exactly as it is, keeping the same stop spacing and top speed limits, and dropped LRT tracks in its place, can you honestly tell me it would be any slower than a bus running in the same circumstances?

The ability for buses to bypass each other has much more utility on city streets, on routes running extremely frequently (such as the 29 Dufferin), than on such a right of way, especially when you consider that everyone has to board buses in this country through one door and LRTs have more, therefore all else being equal dwell times would be cut down dramatically. If congestion were a problem, however, more tracks could be added to the corridor, I dare say easier than if you tried to add more tracks onto a street running route.

There is a lot of misinformation being spread on this forum about LRTs of late. I actually find it astonishing. It's like if I tried to discredit the introduction of a new GO bus route by pointing at the painfully slow 47 Lansdowne bus and claiming that the GO bus would run at those speeds and is therefore a bad investment. In fact this is being done with some frequency on the forum by LRT opponents using the TTC streetcar network as an argument against LRTs.

Back