News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Maybe great for buses, but suck for riders
How so? As someone who often rides the 40, the idea of the bus being able to directly access Highway 407 without spending 5 minutes turning left on Jane or fussing about on the on the terminal entrance/Jane St sounds amazing. This is unless of course you want to claim that the reduced speeds on the Transitway (which best case scenerio would be around 90km/h compared to the 100km/h on the highway) plus the more winding routing that the Transitway would take would negate any advantages of having busses directly serve stations, however I find that difficult to believe. The only thing at the present moment that gives credence to this idea is the Mississauga Transitway and how poorly it was built, where busses somehow run even slower than the nearby traffic on Eastgate Parkway, however that in itself isn't a damnation of Transitways as a whole, and is more of an issue specific to the implementation in Mississauga. Cities like Brisbane and Ottawa have shown what busways could look like when they're built properly and allow busses to travel at high speeds, and if the 407 Transitway in any way resembles those systems, then I doubt this would be a problem. Of course this is idealistic, and Metrolinx could easily botch the implementation and result in a system that is somehow worse than status quo. Oh well.

How so? As someone who often rides the 40, the idea of the bus being able to directly access Highway 407 without spending 5 minutes turning left on Jane or fussing about on the on the terminal entrance/Jane St sounds amazing. This is unless of course you want to claim that the reduced speeds on the Transitway (which best case scenerio would be around 90km/h compared to the 100km/h on the highway) plus the more winding routing that the Transitway would take would negate any advantages of having busses directly serve stations, however I find that difficult to believe. The only thing at the present moment that gives credence to this idea is the Mississauga Transitway and how poorly it was built, where busses somehow run even slower than the nearby traffic on Eastgate Parkway, however that in itself isn't a damnation of Transitways as a whole, and is more of an issue specific to the implementation in Mississauga. Cities like Brisbane and Ottawa have shown what busways could look like when they're built properly and allow busses to travel at high speeds, and if the 407 Transitway in any way resembles those systems, then I doubt this would be a problem. Of course this is idealistic, and Metrolinx could easily botch the implementation and result in a system that is somehow worse than status quo. Oh well.
You forget the kind of weather we have here all year long as well having to walk up/down hills if you are an able body to change from one route to another. What about the accessibility Community?? Those hills can be slip sliding for everyone in bad weather regardless if built to ODA Standards. Not cheap to put in elevators

Speed speed speed is always at the top of the list for various folks when it should be what is the best way to service everyone, not a few.

If BRT/LRT transit corridor are design right from day one they should work like they should. Mississauga Transitway is a GO Thing, not a Mississauga Thing where Ottawa is an Ottawa Thing to a point, with the city downtown being its failure point.

The 407 Transitway will be a GO Thing that connects region to region and long haul routes and leave the local connection to the locals

You forget the kind of weather we have here all year long as well having to walk up/down hills if you are an able body to change from one route to another. What about the accessibility Community?? Those hills can be slip sliding for everyone in bad weather regardless if built to ODA Standards. Not cheap to put in elevators
What hills? The 407 Transitway like any other fully grade separated mode of transit has distinct stations that you will need to access via elevators. The stations are mostly flat with access needing to be done via elevators. That's not really any different from your typical Subway/new build GO station, or heck even some of our existing bus terminals like Hwy 407 Terminal.
Speed speed speed is always at the top of the list for various folks when it should be what is the best way to service everyone, not a few.

If BRT/LRT transit corridor are design right from day one they should work like they should. Mississauga Transitway is a GO Thing, not a Mississauga Thing where Ottawa is an Ottawa Thing to a point, with the city downtown being its failure point.

The 407 Transitway will be a GO Thing that connects region to region and long haul routes and leave the local connection to the locals
I am so confused, what are you arguing for/against? We're talking about how the 407 transitway in the context of replacing the existing frequent 407 routes like the 40 and 47, not local on street bus routes, and you came in arguing that the 407 transitway will be worse than the status quo of this for the rider:
1663561191259.png

I don't know why you're bringing up BRTs and LRTs at all - they have nothing to do with the topic at hand

I don't know why you're bringing up BRTs and LRTs at all - they have nothing to do with the topic at hand
We don't know what form it will take yet. There's no guarantee that the current plan to build the centre section as an Ontario Line extension will happen. And even if it is built as that way, I'd think that some of it out to Oshawa or to Burlington would be BRT.

What hills? The 407 Transitway like any other fully grade separated mode of transit has distinct stations that you will need to access via elevators. The stations are mostly flat with access needing to be done via elevators. That's not really any different from your typical Subway/new build GO station, or heck even some of our existing bus terminals like Hwy 407 Terminal.

I am so confused, what are you arguing for/against? We're talking about how the 407 transitway in the context of replacing the existing frequent 407 routes like the 40 and 47, not local on street bus routes, and you came in arguing that the 407 transitway will be worse than the status quo of this for the rider:
View attachment 427576
You show a plan that had a hill and why I use hills.

You need to look at the big picture, not a certain area to see what X or Y will look like as well run. Part of it will be more busy and have more ridership than others sections and it cannot be a one size fit all.

We have no idea what the 407 will really look like if and when it gets built at this time. Seen a few different plans and ideas overs the years as well how long has it been around?? One way or another, you are building an BRT, otherwise why are you spend $$$ to move a few riders??

As for BRT/LRT, how many buses do you think will be using the corridor and where do you think they are going to/from?? At what point do you have to move to an LRT??

Mississauga Transitway 2004 EA was calling for 25,000/hr at peak time by 2030 from Renforth to Sq One and what bus system will move those numbers?? Do the math using all types of vehicles to see what the headway will be for that number. LRT is the clear choice for that number.

I know Jim Jones when he was deputy mayor of Markham and is a pro transit person. He also moved in the early days of the Big Move to have an LRT running from Markham to Mississauga City Core

I disagree. I want to see multiple services on the same line to encourage competition.
I did not say that GO and VIA should be consolidated into one service? Is that what you think I said? I want VIA and GO to compete on the same line, just as much as you.

However, VIA should have to pay into the rail improvements. Why should Metrolinx have to pay for the improvements that VIA would benefit from? Thats the opposite of competition.

The problem with the 407 Transitway, if it's built the way Metrolinx currently does rail service, will be the last mile connections at each station.

I don't disagree, but would add, that is at least partially the responsibility of local transit authorities.

Of course, Mx is supposed to be a coordinating, planning body, amongst other things; based on the last few weeks, I'm not sure they're fit to coordinate their own operations, never mind anyone else's.

The problem with the 407 Transitway, if it's built the way Metrolinx currently does rail service, will be the last mile connections at each station.
I do partially agree, but at the same with how radial the pre-existing network is, most of the connections are basically handed to them on a silver platter. RHC is a massive bus hub with the super frequent Viva Blue, plus the future subway extension, 5/7 GO lines have interchanges, Highway 407 will have subway connections, Hurontario Line at Hurontario, and in fact most of the stations in Peel have connection to Brampton Transit who are pretty good at running decent local service. The only real concern I have is all of the proposed local station in York Region like at Bathurst and Leslie, but I feel like even with just the big interchange stations alone (Unionville, RHC, Concord, Hwy 407, Bramalea, Hurontario, and Lisgar, and Hamilton) it's already worth it.

remember that Metrolinx is now identifying that the 407 Transitway get built as a rail line, not BRT, in long range planning documents.

What should not happen is the original Spadina Line in the median of the Allen. ( I realize the transitway is not in the median of 407); what I'm meaning is that stations should be outside the ROW entirely and as close as possible to any major nodes.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Metrolinx outright buys the CN portion of the Guelph Sub between Kitchener and London in the next few years. Old VIA annual reports indicate that CN is amenable to the idea of selling it. Really, it would be a win for CN, as they’d get vastly improved track, not have to pay property tax, and still be able to run locals on it (with likely favourable terms written into the sale deal).
Internally I've heard CN wants to prioritize intermodal so since Guelph sub only sees locals, 533,540,542,566,568,569, I wouldn't be surprised if they sell it.

I imagine any line would use the ROW of the BRT transitway, which does exactly that.

The 407 ETR is already more or less completely built out anyway, there is no longer space in the median other than on the easternmost portions of the highway in Durham.

The big issue with changing the technology from BRT to rail (likely heavy rail) is that the curves and grades of the BRT are not design for rail and will need realignment for rail vehicles if they want to maintain decent speed profiles.

What should not happen is the original Spadina Line in the median of the Allen.
I imagine any line would use the ROW of the BRT transitway, which does exactly that.
Which BRT transitway in the GTA is/will going to use the median? The Mississauga transitway isn't in the 403 median. And any 407 plans I've seen are for a separate roadway.

The 407 ETR is already more or less completely built out anyway, there is no longer space in the median ...
I've seen median transitways added to expressways before, when there was no room available previously. Look at I-5 north of Seattle, for example.

Which BRT transitway in the GTA is/will going to use the median? The Mississauga transitway isn't in the 403 median. And any 407 plans I've seen are for a separate roadway.

I've seen median transitways added to expressways before, when there was no room available previously. Look at I-5 north of Seattle, for example.

You know if you kept reading my post that I specifically said the 407 transitway is not in the median.

Please do not hit reply when you haven't finished reading the post.

Back