News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I've passed the construction sites at different times outside of business hours in the past few months and didn't see any work taking place or construciton vehicles at stations. If it's a 24/7 operation throughout the project site (including at every station), that would be a new development. I'm not sure why we're not seeing that kind of work now given how many times the opening date has been delayed.
You realize that much of the work going on underground can be done without any notice of it happening above ground, right?

Besides, considering how many times I've been woken up in the middle of the night by equipment moving around, I can assure you that at least some of the stations have work going on overnight. It doesn't need to be all of them as there are quite a few stations that are into their final stages of work.

Dan

Spoke to Metrolinx and they indicated

Eglinton LRT will be "Substantially Completed by end of the year". However they indicated that TTC will ensure the project meets Operational Readiness which will take "months leading to launch".

Based on this the earliest opening would be April/May 2023 if we are lucky.

Spoke to Metrolinx and they indicated

Eglinton LRT will be "Substantially Completed by end of the year". However they indicated that TTC will ensure the project meets Operational Readiness which will take "months leading to launch".

Based on this the earliest opening would be April/May 2023 if we are lucky.
Will Eglinton Station eve be done by end of year? From this forum it’s clear part of it is still just a big hole in the ground.

Umm Eglinton has its station structure up already so it might be done by years end
The steel frame of the main entrance is up, sure.

But they have only barely begun backfilling the excavated areas over the station, starting at the west end. And they are still working on completing the underground corridor connections from the old to the new station.

Dan

But they have only barely begun backfilling the excavated areas over the station, starting at the west end. And they are still working on completing the underground corridor connections from the old to the new station.
That sounds like a description of College station!

Its not just a big hole anymore. While underpinning was a nightmare, things are moving fast now there.
I mean, this picture was from September 13th, 2022.

Took this two days ago overlooking the site south of Eglinton on Yonge. That's the pedestrian tunnel running E-W under Yonge visible on the right - looks like they're about ready to start formwork for its reconstruction.

View attachment 427064

Statement by Metrolinx:

Statement regarding the Eglinton Crosstown LRT​

Today, Metrolinx President & CEO Phil Verster issued the following statement:
We had expected the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to be fully built, thoroughly tested, and in service this fall in accordance with our project agreement with Crosslinx Transit Solutions, the construction consortium responsible for building the project.
Unfortunately, while progress has been made, Crosslinx Transit Solutions have fallen behind schedule, are unable to finalize construction and testing, and therefore the system will not be operational on this timeline.
We know construction has been difficult for commuters, communities, and businesses along the Eglinton corridor. We are doing everything to hold Crosslinx Transit Solutions accountable and to redouble efforts to meet their commitments and complete the work quickly so we can welcome riders onto a complete, tested, and fully operational Eglinton Crosstown LRT as soon as possible.

(Update: the headline has been fixed but the URL still has the typo)

(Further update: URL corrected so updated the hyperlink above)

Last edited:
Good grief. When did they notify TTC? I'd think they'd have to pay TTC damages for ramping up earlier than necessary, and not receiving revenue.

It's hard to believe Metrolinx only found out this month. I'm guessing there was a discussion with the government about withholding the news until after the election.

Back