1664419837974.png

I have not seen other properties with this type of signage. I heard the hotel is not extending the shelter lease after April.
View attachment 429495

View attachment 429496

View attachment 429494

Other that noted that this sort of signage is pro-forma, literally required.

For clarity, TDSB is set to go ahead w/the site in the West Don Lands, but it will fill very quickly, it's also potentially delayed by the Ontario Line construction.

The TDCSB will be fine if the province very green lights the perpetual proposal to build on the former TDSB site at Sherbourne Shuter and Parliament.

The only question there, when it's finally approved, is whether it will represent one net new school, or merely an enlarged relocation of the on now on the Esplanade.

Last edited:
Other that noted that this sort of signage is pro-forma, literally required.

For clarity, TDSB is set to go ahead w/the site in the West Don Lands, but it will fill very quickly, it's also potentially delayed by the Ontario Line construction.

The TDCSB will be fine if the province very green lights the perpetual proposal to build on the former TDSB site at Sherbourne and Parliament.

The only question there, when it's finally approved, is whether it will represent one net new school, or merely an enlarged relocation of the on now on the Esplanade.
I'm assuming you meant Shuter and Parliament, otherwise that is one massive school lol.

Do they really need to make big signs like that? There should be a stipulation that in any buyers agreement that this notice be included.

Having large signs up on the sidewalks polluting our streets for the 0.5% of the people in the area that need to know this fact is ridiculous.

Do they really need to make big signs like that? There should be a stipulation that in any buyers agreement that this notice be included.

Having large signs up on the sidewalks polluting our streets for the 0.5% of the people in the area that need to know this fact is ridiculous.
Trust me they do. A lot of parents these days are oblivious to the fact that many schools are jammed up the rim, and then start to whine when their kids are bused or cant get into a school of their choosing. Even though the onus should be on them to check if a given school can accommodate their child before they start (ie: without just automatically assuming they can).

And if they dont like that fact, they should go complain to the provincial government.

From Page 37-38 of IBI GROUP PLANNING AND URBAN DESIGN RATIONALE REPORT 45 THE ESPLANADE Prepared for Silver Hotels (Vancouver) Ltd., c/o Republic Developments:
To the east there is approximately 21 m separation distance from the back of the adjacent building [75 The Esplanade] to the site to the tower B. To the west, there is approximately 12 m separation distance from the site to the adjacent development, however this building does not contain any windows along the wall adjacent to the proposed tower A ... The proposed towers to the east and west of the site maintain an appropriate distance between the adjacent properties to maintain view points
How is such a small separation distance of 21m from tower B and 75 the Esplanade supposed to "appropriately limit shadow impact on the public realm and surrounding properties" and "provide access to natural light and protect privacy for occupants of tall buildings" (Policy ii of SASP 517)?
There are tons of windows and balconies as well as an outdoor terrace with a pool on the 75 The Esplanade building wall adjacent to the proposed tower B. It is too crowded.
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 10.31.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.41.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.41.05 PM.png
    421 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Lots of towers have been approved downtown for 20 separation distance, or even less in some cases.

21m is far from terrible, though it isn’t the 25m best practice.

It's important to say, the best practice, in theory, is dependent on several things.

To what degree is privacy impacted?

What is the impact on wind conditions both at-grade and any proposed or extant balconies?

What about skyview?

etc etc.

The separation distance can't be treated in isolation. It has to be considered with balcony and window placement. Window opacity, building height, building floor plate etc.

These are guidelines meant to insure certainly minimally acceptable outcomes occur; but those outcomes are a function of how different things inter-relate.

Whether the distances are appropriate in this instance may be a fair point of debate; but separation distance shouldn't be treated in isolation when drawing a conclusion.

? Please go on. What did I miss. Separation or parking or future towers on the Green P and possibly loosing our bbq terrace. Anything else?

I would hate to lose a big south-east slice of any of your (always extraordinary) photos... but if that green P monolith is replaced by 3 or 4 mixed-use towers (from at least 2 different architects like HPA and 3XN)...

I'll send Toronto Parking Authority a greeting card on Xmas, Reconciliation Day, Valentine's, Canada Day... and resist sending one one April Fool's Day. 🙃

Back