News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

'Confidence is in the air': Office vacancy rate shows biggest drop in eight years
After years of bad news, the CBRE is finally starting to see some progress made in filling Calgary's downtown towers
"Confidence is in the air again, that’s the key thing. Whereas the rest of the country, they’re starting to get worried about higher interest rates and things like that. So I think Alberta is going to be the bright star for Canada coming over the next 18 to 24 months.”

The expansion (runways, terminals) to the CIA over the last decade have really paid off. Together with Westjet transitioning from regional carrier to more of a global one, this should position Calgary as a western hub, like Denver CO.
Like many on this blog, I have flown in and out of a lot of airports and Calgary has always been my favourite for efficiency.

'Confidence is in the air': Office vacancy rate shows biggest drop in eight years
After years of bad news, the CBRE is finally starting to see some progress made in filling Calgary's downtown towers
"Confidence is in the air again, that’s the key thing. Whereas the rest of the country, they’re starting to get worried about higher interest rates and things like that. So I think Alberta is going to be the bright star for Canada coming over the next 18 to 24 months.”
The article hints at it briefly, but how much of this is simply from removing those conversions from the supply? No idea when that would be counted in these numbers?

Does anyone have any stats on load numbers for Westjet's Europe flights? I recently took the Westjet flight from Calgary to Rome and back to Calgary from London. Both flights were fully booked, and a couple of months ago when looking at changing flight dates, all the flights to Rome in the time-frame I was looking at were booked.

This one does feel different. What's good for the goose (Provincial coffers) hasn't been good for the gander (Alberta citizens). Outside of increased money going to the province... Gas, and everything else, costs more. I'm not making more and we're not seeing the capital investment that turned into jobs. For the first time I can remember I'm not better off, and may be worse off, in the wake of higher oil prices.

No one should be forecasting or even thinking of a 'boom' if the expectation is vast sums of capital spending and a huge spike in job creation. Higher corporate profits, paying down debt and more dividends to shareholders .... yes.... but future investment ... unlikely.
The previous 'boom cycles' were driven by exploration, new projects to expand production capacity, more pipelines etc to carry it. All of those projects are either cancelled or still on the back burner. Without investment partners and the support of the federal government (we know how it feels about fossil fuels), those companies are not going to take the risk on their own. Also, we need to see whether these prices will be sustained for a longer period of time.

p.s the Herald columnist should know the answer without having to ask the question

Last edited:
This one does feel different. What's good for the goose (Provincial coffers) hasn't been good for the gander (Alberta citizens). Outside of increased money going to the province... Gas, and everything else, costs more. I'm not making more and we're not seeing the capital investment that turned into jobs. For the first time I can remember I'm not better off, and may be worse off, in the wake of higher oil prices.
I tend to agree. If 75% of the money from oil is going out of the country as the article suggests, high oil prices hasn't been a huge benefit. I'm glad to see the steady stream of layoffs has at least subsided, and there is some more revenue coming to the provincial government. I'd be okay if the WTI price landed in the mid 60's and stayed there.

Sounds atypical. At least in my industry (related to development and construction, which is a good proxy for the overall health of the economy) we are certainly seeing growth however thus far it's been much more sustainable than in previous 'boom' times. Things are incredibly busy, we've been hiring steadily and increasing salaries.

It's actually a positive that rates have increased to temper things a little because otherwise we wouldn't be able to keep up.

Sounds atypical. At least in my industry (related to development and construction, which is a good proxy for the overall health of the economy) we are certainly seeing growth however thus far it's been much more sustainable than in previous 'boom' times. Things are incredibly busy, we've been hiring steadily and increasing salaries.

It's actually a positive that rates have increased to temper things a little because otherwise we wouldn't be able to keep up.
Fair point, I was thinking very micro (my household) and this increase in oil prices, and interest rates, has hurt.

The boom in the past was expansion of the oil sands, new mines, refineries, pipelines and the like. It's profitable right now, but there are no new projects starting up to actually create the boom. I definitely agree that the Herald should know the answer, but clickbait works better if you leave the reader hanging I guess.

Back