News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thought this might be of interest...
It'll be interesting to see what the Tories decide to do 🤔

Being discussed over in the zoning thread as well.

The idea is fine in a certain respect, but very problematic in another..........

The City has an an inclusionary zoning by-law that will capture a large chunk of development in Toronto.

Exempting all of that development from development charges would blow a huge hole in the City's budget.

While it might merely result in a large property tax hike, or further erosion of City services; it might also result in repeal of the inclusionary zoning by-law to avoid same.

Being discussed over in the zoning thread as well.

The idea is fine in a certain respect, but very problematic in another..........

The City has an an inclusionary zoning by-law that will capture a large chunk of development in Toronto.

Exempting all of that development from development charges would blow a huge hole in the City's budget.

While it might merely result in a large property tax hike, or further erosion of City services; it might also result in repeal of the inclusionary zoning by-law to avoid same.
Hmm now I never thought about it that way. I wouldnt be surprised if this is what the Ford government is going for, and if that's the case they are extremely sick.

Spotted on Richmond, where a pile of lane closure stuff has been left blocking a lane for some reason.
IMG_20221009_161901.jpg

Check out the responses to this thread. Brutal.

That's the problem with Tory mostly hiding during this election campaign, only appearing for pre-arranged photo-ops with the council candidates he's endorsing, or pretending to care about the less fortunate by being photographed at Daily Bread Food Bank on Thanksgiving Weekend. There's little formal opportunity to challenge him on his bullcrap. A few more debates, especially before the advanced polls opened, would have given opponents and reporters a chance to actually hold him to account, rather than him just getting dunked on Twitter.

Check out the responses to this thread. Brutal.

Let me bring the lead image forward for the preview-deprived and the click averse:

1665370896612.png

Link to the Tory platform plank:

So its mostly re-tread stuff we've already heard that doesn't amount to much...........

But the chutzpah of this one really got me...........

1665370999138.png

A 19% increase over 8 years, eh?

A quick trip to the Bank of Canada's inflation Calculator will tell you that inflation over the last 8 years was 21.4% (so ....uhh, 19% is effective cut of ~2.4%)

Except, of course, that that's not quite true..........first, because construction inflation and land costs have both risen more quickly than CPI

And.....Toronto's population grew by ~10% + over the same period.

Which means, per capita funding of Parks declined by more than 11%

Give me a break......

That's the problem with Tory mostly hiding during this election campaign, only appearing for pre-arranged photo-ops with the council candidates he's endorsing, or pretending to care about the less fortunate by being photographed at Daily Bread Food Bank on Thanksgiving Weekend. There's little formal opportunity to challenge him on his bullcrap. A few more debates, especially before the advanced polls opened, would have given opponents and reporters a chance to actually hold him to account, rather than him just getting dunked on Twitter.

The Media needed to open fire earlier; they needed to give more space to his opponents, most obviously Gil; but others as well.

Its not even a matter of bias, but of creating space to hold the incumbent accountable; and provide room for open debate.

Up on the City's tender site is this:

1665505446802.png

I'm dubious.........I don't know why we need a consultant, to do a strategy.

It seems to me its easy enough to decide in house whether you want washrooms open year-round, what you want them to look like/feature, and what kind of open-hours they may have.

Toronto's tendency to always apply a 'consultant enrichment strategy' in lieu of substantive spending on resolving an issue is really quite bothersome.

Last edited:
It seems to me its easy enough to decide in house whether you want washrooms open year-round, what you want them to look like/feature, and what kind of open-hours they may have.

Toronto's tendency to always apply a 'consultant enrichment strategy' in lieu of substantive spending on resolving an issue is really quite bothersome.

I can't speak for the city, but consultants at some of my employers were mostly budget deferral mechanisms.

If someone (typically another department) wanted something this year, and they didn't have the money for it, they would hire a consultant to delay funding it to a future year. Sometimes the people asking would lose interest before the report was finished.

It made things go slow but it also ensured that if something was funded it was actually useful; not because of the report but because the desire for it survived a non-trivial duration of time.

Apparently people are setting up encampments in High Park now.

I noticed this 8 man tent sitting alongside Bloor West at Parkview Gardens.

Also noticed alot more homeless in the area today than I did before.

20221012_124536.jpg

Back