MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am starting a thread for this community plan, similar to the University District thread and West District threads. I may update this post to create a map to track individual projects in the future, as more get proposed, but for now just some information on the overall project. It is the next neighbourhood being developed by the University of Calgary's Properties Group, the same team behind University District, and it is a rethink of the current Research Park, north of the main campus and south of Crowchild Trail, including the Brentwood Park and Ride lot. Here is the website:
1665934496728.png

They held some open houses in September, and the information boards are posted here:
There is a lot more information and detail in the link above, but here are some of the images showing what is initially planned:
1665934576632.png

1665934619153.png

1665934679815.png

1665934713793.png

There is already some information on a couple of the projects that will be built in this area. The City's Varsity Mixed Use project which is replacing the current fire hall at the corner of 32nd Avenue and 37th Street NW.

Vecova also has a video up of their proposed new facility:
1665935047626.png

1665935085264.png

1665935126908.png

1665935161369.png

Attachments

• 1665935086070.png
    1665935086070.png
    1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I wonder what the proposed mix of residential will be? It sure would be great to have some more people living in that area.
Agreed. It will be a massive failure if this area continues to be exclusively academic and commercial land use. It will be just another massive dead zone on nights and weekends. Not to mention being right next to Brentwood LRT. I would argue that there should be an even greater focus on high density residential here than even in the University District.

I am starting a thread for this community plan, similar to the University District thread and West District threads. I may update this post to create a map to track individual projects in the future, as more get proposed, but for now just some information on the overall project. It is the next neighbourhood being developed by the University of Calgary's Properties Group, the same team behind University District, and it is a rethink of the current Research Park, north of the main campus and south of Crowchild Trail, including the Brentwood Park and Ride lot. Here is the website:
View attachment 432851
They held some open houses in September, and the information boards are posted here:
There is a lot more information and detail in the link above, but here are some of the images showing what is initially planned:
View attachment 432852
View attachment 432853
View attachment 432854
View attachment 432855

It's a definite improvement

but...

This is currently a park, and they are turning it into a parking lot??

park.PNG

bruhhhhh.PNG

They're just leaving this massive surface parking? I get the LRT needs some parking, but can't they condense it into a single parkade?

lot.PNG

this much..PNG

Why.. does this even exist in the first place?
whyy.PNG

why.PNG

I'm guessing that the city owns the land next to the LRT, so I suppose that would be the cities jurisdiction. Although, once this is built out I could see the city redeveloping the parking lot.
The city should build a parkade and part of that land and sell the rest to developers, with stipulations on what gets built.

Building a parkade is very expensive, to the point that if TOD development is contingent on some park and ride lots being replaced by a parkade prior to development, it kills the development potential. Look no further than Anderson TOD, which has an approved plan, and even some funding approved for it, but zero action. It is because at the time of the plan approval, Council stated that they wanted to replace the lost surface park and ride stalls with a parkade. The budget for the City's real estate arm does not cover this cost, so the project sits, undeveloped.

Well, I suppose they could just sell off a few parcels and not build a parkade. I could be wrong but I don't recall that parking lot ever really filling up. Further down the redline the park and rides get pretty busy (Dalhousie and Crowfoot in particular), but tbh I feel like Brentwood is inner city enough that not enough commuters bother with it. It's no longer the terminus so it doesn't really make as much sense to have so much parking at Brentwood anyways. I say sell off some of the land in the SE corner and go from there.

There's a Google airphoto as of 10/2018 that shows Brentwood pretty close to full to capacity. There are a number in the recent past (including the one in Google Maps) where it's pretty empty, but it's hard to say, since the photo could be taken on a Sunday or something; hard to prove a negative. If the lot was full to capacity, the most recent data Calgary Transit have made available (probably 5+ years ago now -- how can they get away with this?!) about 80% of the LRT ridership at Brentwood would be coming from walk-up or transit transfers, with about 20% from park-and-ride.

I also wonder how many of the cars at the park and ride lot are actually university students who are parking and walking to campus. With their u-pass, they would technically be allowed to park there, even if they don't actually ride the train.

Back