According to city standards, the club was breaking the law. Should that be tolerated?

Sound carries very well across open water. Maybe the operators of the club should made themselves a little more aware of who they were affecting.

I'd actually second this. The Docks was probably noisier than the airport. Though I would suggest, that appropriate barriers could have been implemented to containing the noise....

The Docks is a different case, in that it came after there was residential settlement of the waterfront.

The airport has been there since 1932 i believe - back when the waterfront was nothing but a big factory.

In regards to The Docks - why would the city permit the club on a waterfront location and then poo-poo it when it is as noisy (and successful) as a club?
some of the jokers at city hall need to get the boot.

Quite frankly, a lot of people are idiots.
Like when people move into condos near an airport and complain that there is too much airport noise.
Or when people move into the Club District and complain that there is too much club noise.
Or when people move next to a garbage dump and complain that there is too much stank in the air.

Personally, I love Porter. I like how it harkens back to the days where one flew with class. Sorta like wearing driving gloves behind the wheel. And it is not at all expensive.

Personally, I love Porter. I like how it harkens back to the days where one flew with class. Sorta like wearing driving gloves behind the wheel. And it is not at all expensive.

Seriously. Porter is a great airline. I initially had my issues with them, but I cannot discount just how convenient the island airport is.

Not to mention the complimentary beer, and quality snacks!

About two weeks ago Porter Airlines tested out two fights from Hamilton Airport to Ottawa and Montreal. Air Canada Jazz cut service from YHM to Ottawa and Montreal.

So there's a strong rumour Porter Airlines will replace Jazz at Hamilton Airport.

Where's this rumour from and what's the source?

Its false anyways.

All of Porter's planes have been in service daily leaving no room for test flights. And while I can't say that I am there everyday, I can certainly vouch that no planes have gone to Hamilton on days I've been there, and that none of my co-workers mentioned anything about Hamilton flights on the 2 or 3 days I had off.

Also, Porter doesn't have the planes to do a YHM to YOW and YUL route. The next four planes will be used for American service, and that takes Porter well into next summer. There are other reasons why I'm 99.99% certain Porter won't be flying to and from YHM, but I can't divulge them. I say there's .01% doubt because maybe you have a special relationship with Deluce. I don't know. However, I can guarentee that I would have heard something before you or any external source.

The Docks is a different case, in that it came after there was residential settlement of the waterfront.

The airport has been there since 1932 i believe - back when the waterfront was nothing but a big factory.

In regards to The Docks - why would the city permit the club on a waterfront location and then poo-poo it when it is as noisy (and successful) as a club?
some of the jokers at city hall need to get the boot.

Quite frankly, a lot of people are idiots.
Like when people move into condos near an airport and complain that there is too much airport noise.
Or when people move into the Club District and complain that there is too much club noise.
Or when people move next to a garbage dump and complain that there is too much stank in the air.

I believe that the Tate and Lyle sugar plant is also at the moment protecting itself from all the bullshit that may occur with Pier27 and other future condos going down in its vicinity.

There were two Porter fights that landed from Ottawa and Montreal two weeks ago on Sunday.

Yep, one of my days off and I just asked a friend about it and it was because of weather at YTZ and YYZ. Hamilton is the final option and is rarely ever used. Surprised you didn't post this rumour over a year ago when Porter had to land at Hamilton the first time... jeeze.

Yep, one of my days off and I just asked a friend about it and it was because of weather at YTZ and YYZ. Hamilton is the final option and is rarely ever used. Surprised you didn't post this rumour over a year ago when Porter had to land at Hamilton the first time... jeeze.

Hamilton is the final option? So if there's thick fog at YTZ, YYZ, and YHM the plane has nowhere left to go but circle indefinitely? Frightening! (Just joking!)

I don't recall stories in the news of Pearson-bound planes diverting to Hamilton. Does the Q400 have a lower tolerance for bad weather than larger jet aircraft?

If the weather is THAT bad that it can't land at YTZ, YYZ or Hamilton, they just don't leave. If it's some sort of freak weather event and they're in the air, they turn around. Usually weather hits Toronto before travelling onwards to the east, so it's an easy decision to make.

Planes get diverted to Pearson all the time actually (more so in the winter/spring). Most often it is due to Fog/low ceiling or curfew. Porter isn't allowed to land after 11pm so any flight scheduled to arrive after that time has to go to Pearson. The last flight is scheduled in at 10:30 or so, but any delays cuts things close. Rarely does weather force things to Hamilton.

The issue there isn't that the Q400 has a lower tolerance, it's that the landing strip on the Island isn't long enough to create a large enough margin of error during extreme weather conditions. Technologically, Pearson has some extra bells and whistles that make it easier to land there too during weather. The Island just upgraded their system which means they can land with a lower ceiling, but it's all about passenger safety and there's no reason to take chances.

Honestly, when planes start going to Pearson though it makes for a long day in customer service.

Honestly, when planes start going to Pearson though it makes for a long day in customer service.

I hear ya. As someone who has spent many, many hours sitting by the "Standby / Customer Service" counters at different airports, I know what airline passengers can be like. Air travel can be a stressful thing even under normal conditions.

Back