From today.
Maybe some motor vehicle traffic flow will be restored here at Cherry St. soon.

PXL_20221014_212835694.PANO.jpg

And from yesterday some planting activities south of Villiars St.

PXL_20221013_214825573.jpg

I wanted to share a photo I took last week. This bridge is amazing with such wide pedestrian walkway and dedicated and separated bike lane.

Elegant lighting still required; but it does look quite good. And if I were being just a tad utopian, a few flower boxes off the pedestrian railing wouldn't hurt.

Elegant lighting still required; but it does look quite good. And if I were being just a tad utopian, a few flower boxes off the pedestrian railing wouldn't hurt.
I was actually thinking about lighting too. Is that something that is planned? Done right, these bridges would look even more stunning.

I was actually thinking about lighting too. Is that something that is planned? Done right, these bridges would look even more stunning.

I think @DSC had something to say on this awhile back. I can't remember just now, off the top of my head.

I'm absolutely in love with this bridge and the view of our skyline while travelling northbound. It has spruced up my biking route a lot more than I thought and it's only going to get nicer when the surrounding development finishes.

The view to the east while traveling southbound is also impressive but obviously very unfished. I cannot wait for work to be done!! 😍

Ok, I finally made it down here to take .....ummm, a few pics.........this is the first post..........photos taken October 23rd, 2022:

I promise a few pics people will enjoy, but I love doing things in chronological order, so let me start w/some pics of Lake Shore Blvd's reconstruction:

DSC09867.JPG

DSC09868.JPG

DSC09869.JPG

Now, the Commissioner Street bridges..........from, Commissioner Street:

DSC09872.JPG

DSC09874.JPG

DSC09876.JPG

Commissioner Street Bridges, over the river valley, from Villiers Street:

DSC09882.JPG

DSC09883.JPG

DSC09885.JPG

DSC09886.JPG

DSC09890.JPG

DSC09891.JPG

DSC09892.JPG

We'll finish this particular run with a shot that isn't particularly scenic, but very instructive on the scale of this project, we're looking south from Villiers at the new valley wall:

DSC09900.JPG

Last edited:
Post #2 of my walk from yesterday. We left off looking north from Villiers at the new Valley wall. Again, my preference is to post pics in the order that I took them, so be patient and scroll....

Photos taken October 23rd, 2022:

Villiers looks like a bit of wasteland at the moment; but WT has opted to place giant pictures of the work site in the former median of the road:

DSC09902.JPG

DSC09901.JPG

DSC09907.JPG

I also wandered up Munition Street. Anybody misplaced a heritage fire hall, because I found one.............:

DSC09904.JPG

Also, a disused piece of railway:

DSC09903.JPG

Then we arrive at Cherry Street: (looking south at excavation site)

DSC09908.JPG

Ah, here's that new bridge everyone's talking about:

DSC09917.JPG

Before we get close-ups...........its me, I had to look at the streetscape work thus far:

DSC09916.JPG

Above we see Honey Locust trees, which would generally be leafless at this point in the year, along with Red Dogwood shrubs, and other herbaceous plants, in what look to be pretty good planting conditions.
Large soil volume, in a continuous trench, water infiltration additive outside the trench, and buffered from salt spray in some measure with the paving stones between the planting and the bike path, and then bike path buffering the road as well.
Nice to see some real thought in this, I'm hopeful.

Below, is similar, along the bridge approach, but with a different shrub creating fall interest, and different trees as well, these are Swamp White Oak.

DSC09923.JPG

Right, I was here to shoot a bridge wasn't I?

DSC09928.JPG

DSC09944.JPG

DSC09945.JPG

We'll stop here for this one.......at least one more post to come, featuring views from this bridge, and views of the other Cherry Street bridge.

Last edited:
Post #3 (I think the final one) from my walk of the Portlands yesterday.

We left off having visited the newly open bridge on Cherry Street, next we will look at some views from that bridge, of Promontory Park under construction and of the more Northerly Cherry Street bridges.

Photos taken October 23rd, 2022:

DSC09930.JPG

DSC09932.JPG

DSC09933.JPG

DSC09934.JPG

DSC09935.JPG

DSC09936.JPG

DSC09943.JPG

Here's a view of those Commissioner Street bridges from the 1st post; but now looking back from the west, to the east. Note the hirises in the background, a very long way away (5.5km from the bridges, and about 6.3km from where the photo is taken:

DSC09942.JPG

Cherry Street North Bridges, looking north from the Cherry Street Diversion:

DSC09948.JPG

Cherry North bridges from existing Cherry bridge across Keating Channel:

DSC09953.JPG

Finally, Cherry North Bridges, look from the north-west to the south east (from Lake Shore Blvd)

DSC09956.JPG

DSC09957.JPG

Back