I don't want to derail the thread but is there any news about more grocery stores coming in the area?
I thought I had seen Farmboy mentioned in one of the other threads.

There was also some talk about a grocery store opening in the Power building at Adelaide and Power, but I'm not sure if that will happen now. There is a smaller grocery store opening in Canary on Front St.

There is also hoarding for an Italian store in the Daniels building, but that predates the pandemic, so I'm pretty skeptical that will happen.

From the Report above:

Summary of changes from original proposal:

1655486750747.png

S. 37 benefits:

1655486524292.png

As part of the Transportation Demand Management program:

1655486592281.png

Final Report https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-227520.pdf

Not clear if the No Frills is going to be continuing but it is mentioned.

The Loading standards are revelatory:

Three Type B and three Type C loading spaces are proposed. One Type C and all three
Type B spaces would be provided within a consolidated at-grade loading area at the
west end of the site, accessed via a vehicle turntable. In addition, two Type C loading
spaces are provided on the P1 parking level, one beneath each of the new buildings.
Notably, a Type A loading space is not provided, as it was determined that the
reconfigured ground floor retail space will result in the loss or downsizing of the existing
grocery store use, for which the loading needs could be met using the smaller Type B
spaces provided. In addition
, a Type G space is not provided, as the proposed location
of the site’s consolidated loading area within the existing Northwest Office Building does
not provide the necessary vertical clearance. As such, private waste collection is
proposed to serve residential needs.

From the Report above:

Summary of changes from original proposal:

View attachment 408149

S. 37 benefits:

View attachment 408144

As part of the Transportation Demand Management program:

View attachment 408145

The Loading standards are revelatory:

Three Type B and three Type C loading spaces are proposed. One Type C and all three
Type B spaces would be provided within a consolidated at-grade loading area at the
west end of the site, accessed via a vehicle turntable. In addition, two Type C loading
spaces are provided on the P1 parking level, one beneath each of the new buildings.
Notably, a Type A loading space is not provided, as it was determined that the
reconfigured ground floor retail space will result in the loss or downsizing of the existing
grocery store use, for which the loading needs could be met using the smaller Type B
spaces provided. In addition
, a Type G space is not provided, as the proposed location
of the site’s consolidated loading area within the existing Northwest Office Building does
not provide the necessary vertical clearance. As such, private waste collection is
proposed to serve residential needs.
I do worry about the future of the No Frills here. Are there no frills in the city that occupy a space 50% plus or minus of the current location? I'm not aware of any.

I am concerned that an "upscale" grocery store will enter the space and squeeze residents, many of which rely on the relative affordability of the No Frills.

I do worry about the future of the No Frills here. Are there no frills in the city that occupy a space 50% plus or minus of the current location? I'm not aware of any.

I am concerned that an "upscale" grocery store will enter the space and squeeze residents, many of which rely on the relative affordability of the No Frills.
50% larger for sure with the Dufferin Mall store which is huge. Some of the ones on the edge of the inner/outer suburbs are like that too. I'm not sure about 50% smaller, but the Parliament store is definitely smaller, but probably only about 15%-20% or so.

A fair few actually.

The Parliament Street store, I think, is the smallest No Frills in the City, at ~13,500ft2

The one on Bloor West (just west of /High Park) is under 15,000ft2

The very first No Frills is still operating at Victoria Park and St.Clair and is well under 15,000ft2

The existing store is well over 30,000ft2, so all of the above are well below 50% of the current footprint.

A fair few actually.

The Parliament Street store, I think, is the smallest No Frills in the City, at ~13,500ft2

The one on Bloor West (just west of /High Park) is under 15,000ft2

The very first No Frills is still operating at Victoria Park and St.Clair and is well under 15,000ft2

The existing store is well over 30,000ft2, so all of the above are well below 50% of the current footprint.
Thank you for the info! That’s helpful :)

All makes perfect sense I suppose, building affordable housing on two large sites within 500m or so, then cut access to affordable groceries. Crazy to think of how long the lines are at No Frills at its current size and how much worse that will get with increased population and smaller footprint.

All makes perfect sense I suppose, building affordable housing on two large sites within 500m or so, then cut access to affordable groceries. Crazy to think of how long the lines are at No Frills at its current size and how much worse that will get with increased population and smaller footprint.
It's very bad. They also don't have self checkout machines there. They should because lots of people go to grab a couple of things after work.
Rush hour is the worst time to go

Note the source - the general view from the developer, the City and Loblaw is that it is NOT closing. It may need to 'shrink' during construction but I really doubt it will go (or go far).

NOTE TO MODS: This thread is not showing on the MAP
Thanks. My initial understanding was that it wasn't closing. I know blogto are not known for their journalism acumen. Thought it was best to confirm here again.

Back