8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

some interesting info in here

1666465752223.png

1666465766891.png

substantial completion expected by apr 2023, revenue service expected by september 2023

I wonder will they even have the tracks all in by april? Half the track isn't even laid. Let alone the overhead wires and stations.
progress has been very quick along the line though, once utility work is complete for an area they complete the guideway very quickly (for example, pearldale to duncanwoods had very little progress just a month ago compared to now)
my biggest concern is finch/weston, it's been progressing very slowly (especially under the cp tracks)

To say the least, I'm extremely skeptical on those dates based on the last flyover and pics we've seen of the construction progress. I wouldnt hold my breath.

My one comment on doors is that the TTC would benefit a lot from interaction consistency in operations across its surface modes. Consistency allows people to go to a new line and know what to expect. I’d even make the buttons and icons consistent across buttons, streetcars and the LRT so that riders know “touch this thing to open the doors”.

At a regional level, I see the same confusion with Presto: I would rather that _all_ transit systems be tap-on/tap-off.

As you can tell, I happen to be on the side of having people press buttons to open doors - but I’m sensitive to accessibility concerns. On that front, it seems like the correct thing to do is actually consult with a variety of sensorily-impaired people and figure out what works/doesn’t. We shouldn’t make assumptions that just because the TTC did it one way they have a defensible reason: it would just be that it was chosen ‘just because’. Also, I don’t want to make assumptions about what works for the variety of disabled out there.

Guess we have confirmation those "shelters" are going to be just as useless as the one's on the Crosstown line. That's a damn shame.

Guess we have confirmation those "shelters" are going to be just as useless as the one's on the Crosstown line. That's a damn shame.
Worthless shelters, long wait between vehicles off peak but planners still scratch their heads why people like ford push subways

Why not the best of both worlds:

View attachment 434852
I'd prefer something like that obviously though I feel safer in subway stations knowing there is an attendant not too far away.

I think mentally we treat lrt/streetcar differently than subways and it's death by 1000 cuts.

If you look at schedules like the 512 st clair the frequency is way down from 20 years ago, and still lower than when it was just flexites scheduled.
Even with the covid schedule it's rare to wait more than 6 or 7 mins for a train after hours.

I was at st clair and and dufferin for half an hour on the weekend and didn't see one eastbound streetcar. I feel like finch west will be worse especially since they'll likely run pairs of cars and have even worse headways (in practice)

I'd prefer something like that obviously though I feel safer in subway stations knowing there is an attendant not too far away.

I think mentally we treat lrt/streetcar differently than subways and it's death by 1000 cuts.

If you look at schedules like the 512 st clair the frequency is way down from 20 years ago, and still lower than when it was just flexites scheduled.
Even with the covid schedule it's rare to wait more than 6 or 7 mins for a train after hours.

I was at st clair and and dufferin for half an hour on the weekend and didn't see one eastbound streetcar. I feel like finch west will be worse especially since they'll likely run pairs of cars and have even worse headways (in practice)

i don't think finch is gonna have paired cars

Because the push behind the subways was never based on facts or logic. They were, and are, populist soundbites to rile up suburbanites against downtown dwellers.
Scarborough gets a Subway to Malvern (Sheppard East), Flemo and Thorncliffe get a Subway in the first phase of the DRL. Priority neighbourhoods won this round. I'm not upset.

Back