Kind of crazy they spend the time adding 4 inches of roxul to the columns when the facade is 95% glass that's like r6 lol
The glass at the ground floor is about $500,000 a piece and just under 3" thick. I would bet they have a higher R value than 6. Can't say for sure though.

As far as putting insulation over a completely solid column ; seems a bit unnecessary.

As far as putting insulation over a completely solid column ; seems a bit unnecessary.

Reinforced concrete is notorious for thermal bridging. Leaving out that insulation would lead to enormous heating/cooling bills, particularly given that there are enormous metal panels attached to that concrete which transfer tremendous amounts of heat/cold

My second post - on my Flickr account, I have several albums dedicated to this project. One is a weekly "time lapse" from the NE corner... Starting in October 2020, virtually every week since.
Not sure if links are allowed, but here it is to the weekly time-lapse album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jer1961/albums/72157718725607562
Some samples, at near-annual increments - first shot is Oct 23 2020, second is Oct 23, 2021, third is this past Friday, Oct 21, 2022

View attachment 434489View attachment 434490View attachment 434491

Pictures like these make me appreciate how far this project has come, albeit slowly. Living in the area it seems like just yesterday it looked like your first pic! I'm proud that such a unique and high-quality building is being brought to the area.

Pictures like these make me appreciate how far this project has come, albeit slowly. Living in the area it seems like just yesterday it looked like your first pic! I'm proud that such a unique and high-quality building is being brought to the area.
I mean concrete is r 1 per inch and you have 36 inches...

Toronto Model 10-28-22 The One.png

Toronto Model 10-28-22 The One2.png

The tower, October 28, 2022. For an updated time-lapse of the construction going back to 2020, go to my Flickr album:

UTIMG_9803.jpg
UTIMG_9871.jpg
UTMG_9936.jpg
UTIMG_9910.jpg
UTIMG_9997.jpg

I mean concrete is r 1 per inch and you have 36 inches...

There's no single r value for concrete, it's dependent on a bunch of stuff (concrete mix, placement of reinforcing rods, etc). And the r value of concrete doesn't scale linearly. Doubling the thickness doesn't double the r value. Also remember that that column may be 36" face-to-face, but what's the distance from the exposed surface to the nearest concrete that heat could be transferred to/from? Don't think about the heat transferring from the outside face to the inside face, think about heat transferring from the outside face to the sides of the column, to the connecting floor slabs...

If...

f = force
d = distance
w = work

...then r is for?

(I thought it's radius at first, but thinks that's π?)

If...

f = force
d = distance
w = work

...then r is for?

(I thought it's radius at first, but thinks that's π?)

I believe they're talking about insulation value from the context of the conversation.

Besides the r value of concrete, all the steel reinforcement presents a whole lot of thermal bridging anyway

The glass at the ground floor is about $500,000 a piece and just under 3" thick. I would bet they have a higher R value than 6. Can't say for sure though.

Concrete thermal expansion is about half that of reenforcement steel. Generally reducing the temperature swings of the column including exterior to interior gradients will increase the life of the column. Don't know if that's the reason here but in general good practice.

Back