News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If I was to move to Japan, for example, the very last people I would want to live near or associate with is other English speaking white folks.
There's a difference between freely and voluntarily locating between areas or cultures and doing so out of necessity. A lot of our early immigration, and even currently in terms of refugees, was out of economic or political necessity or to escape persecution. Many people who came, and still come, here are not 'worldly-wise', or equipped for the culture, language or climate. Besides, many cultures are simply more gregarious than typical westerners.

If I was to move to Japan, for example, the very last people I would want to live near or associate with is other English speaking white folks.
I saw an interview of a young woman who was born and raised in a small Japanese village to white parents. She was very much Japanese culturally but she was always treated as an oddity and a foreigner.

I saw an interview of a young woman who was born and raised in a small Japanese village to white parents. She was very much Japanese culturally but she was always treated as an oddity and a foreigner.
Especially considering Japanese culture, like some others, is historically quite insular.

The 'oddity' part must be jarring, especially as a kid and especially outside of large urban areas. I've met a couple of 'white Jamaicans' - kids of British ex-pats who grew up there. Looked like me but the thick Jamaican patois. Similarly, when our kid was in high school we billeted a girl from Scotland who was part of a touring football (soccer) team. I don't recall where she was from but it was not one of the cities. One of her parents was Japanese and she inherited all of the physical traits but spoke with a thick Scottish brogue. A bit of a dissonance to be sure.

Similarly, when our kid was in high school we billeted a girl from Scotland who was part of a touring football (soccer) team. I don't recall where she was from but it was not one of the cities. One of her parents was Japanese and she inherited all of the physical traits but spoke with a thick Scottish brogue. A bit of a dissonance to be sure.
Irish, but your posted reminded me of....

Unsurprisingly you can be in an "outgroup" even if you are ethnically pure Japanese but grew up outside the country. Look up the term Kikokushijo. As to a variant of the scenario you've mentioned - mixed kids are called "hafu" (half) and the amount of challenges they face are wild (ironically - they are often viewed with admiration and isolated simultaneously)

AoD

Last edited:
There's a difference between freely and voluntarily locating between areas or cultures and doing so out of necessity. A lot of our early immigration, and even currently in terms of refugees, was out of economic or political necessity or to escape persecution. Many people who came, and still come, here are not 'worldly-wise', or equipped for the culture, language or climate. Besides, many cultures are simply more gregarious than typical westerners.

Gregariousness among "Westerners" (sic "white") is definitely not a universal trait - it's far less a thing among Scandinavians and some Eastern Europeans (very generally speaking). Also think American vs Canadian and other intra-American (e.g. New England vs South) differences. It's a cultural, not a race-based phenomenon.

AoD

Last edited:
Before we get distracted later today by Minister Freeland's mini-budget..........

A note:

I've been reading some tea leaves..........I think we're about to go into Haiti.

Nothing for sure....

But the cabinet's Incident Response Group has met and I can't think of anything else they would have met to discuss.

I'm told the U.S. is ready to intervene in Haiti as well; but wants Canada heavily involved both for political reasons and for the very practical matter of French-speaking soldiers, diplomats and bureaucrats.

Before we get distracted later today by Minister Freeland's mini-budget..........

A note:

I've been reading some tea leaves..........I think we're about to go into Haiti.

Nothing for sure....

But the cabinet's Incident Response Group has met and I can't think of anything else they would have met to discuss.

I'm told the U.S. is ready to intervene in Haiti as well; but wants Canada heavily involved both for political reasons and for the very practical matter of French-speaking soldiers, diplomats and bureaucrats.
I'm out of the loop - what's going on in Haiti that requires intervention?

Gregariousness among "Westerners" (sic "white") is definitely not a universal trait - it's far less a thing among Scandinavians and some Eastern Europeans (very generally speaking). Also think American vs Canadian and other intra-American (e.g. New England vs South) differences. It's a cultural, not a race-based phenomenon.

AoD
Perhaps I was using the word in the wrong context. In comparison to other cultures, I would suggest that 'westerners' are particularly ungregarious. We tend to not live in multi-generational settings to a significant extent and tend not to coalesce into faith-based enclaves. Early immigration was largely from the British Isles and Europe. European immigrants tended to naturally gravitate to ethnic peer who were already here simply as a means to navigate in a land of foreign language, climate, etc. There were little to no social supports outside of their own communities.

A note:

Nothing for sure....

That's going to be tough. Our small military is understaffed and has several commitments, including Latvia and training Ukrainian troops. Our ability to move aid and equipment is limited to aircraft (assuming a secure airport) and one rented supply ship.

The language issue will likely fall heavily on R 22 R out of Quebec and possibly the RCMP, but they are understaffed as well. The military could drain a couple of hundred out of NDHQ in Ottawa who are language certified, but I assume the government would want the mission to actually succeed.

That's going to be tough. Our small military is understaffed and has several commitments, including Latvia and training Ukrainian troops. Our ability to move aid and equipment is limited to aircraft (assuming a secure airport) and one rented supply ship.

The language issue will likely fall heavily on R 22 R out of Quebec and possibly the RCMP, but they are understaffed as well. The military could drain a couple of hundred out of NDHQ in Ottawa who are language certified, but I assume the government would want the mission to actually succeed.

I'm not sure what's contemplated; obviously the U.S. could offer equipment lift; as well as whatever force is needed to grab control of the airport and other key facilities. I imagine they want us for the hold and maintain operation, but really don't know.

@kEiThZ might have heard something......

Or it could be all on the RCMP as you note.........with the problems that would entail; but I can't imagine they are the right choice for any initial re-take strategic sites exercise.

But again, my insight here is more on the politics, not the strategic operation/logistics side.

I'm not sure what's contemplated; obviously the U.S. could offer equipment lift; as well as whatever force is needed to grab control of the airport and other key facilities. I imagine they want us for the hold and maintain operation, but really don't know.

@kEiThZ might have heard something......

Or it could be all on the RCMP as you note.........with the problems that would entail; but I can't imagine they are the right choice for any initial re-take strategic sites exercise.

But again, my insight here is more on the politics, not the strategic operation/logistics side.
A police service is neither mandated nor equipped to take and hold ground in another country, regardless of military support or the wishes of the host country. The RCMP, along with other Canadian police services operating under the RCMP banner, do deploy on UN peacekeeping missions. I haven't heard of any interest in a UN mission and what is needed - and being asked for - is hardly what I would call 'peacekeeping' but more like peacemaking.

Our current government's lack of interest in foreign affairs, building on a general lack of Canadian interest in engaging in foreign matters in any substantive way, may limit our ability to do much in spite of the PM's desires.

Especially considering Japanese culture, like some others, is historically quite insular.

The 'oddity' part must be jarring, especially as a kid and especially outside of large urban areas. I've met a couple of 'white Jamaicans' - kids of British ex-pats who grew up there. Looked like me but the thick Jamaican patois. Similarly, when our kid was in high school we billeted a girl from Scotland who was part of a touring football (soccer) team. I don't recall where she was from but it was not one of the cities. One of her parents was Japanese and she inherited all of the physical traits but spoke with a thick Scottish brogue. A bit of a dissonance to be sure.
Similarly, I was speaking with a Chinese jamaican family. It took me a moment or two to resolve that what was coming out of their mouths was english.

Unsurprisingly you can be in an "outgroup" even if you are ethnically pure Japanese but grew up outside the country. Look up the term Kikokushijo. As to a variant of the scenario you've mentioned - mixed kids are called "hafu" (half) and the amount of challenges they face are wild (ironically - they are often viewed with admiration and isolated simultaneously)

AoD
Indeed! Two of my very good friends lived here in Canada for many years, as their father worked for Honda. They would attend a Japanese school weekends, as well as regular M-F school. Upon return, they faced many challenges in the Japanese school system.

Back