Waterfront Toronto began work on York Street Park (Love Park) in July 2021, which will be a 2-acre park located at the southern foot of York Street and Queens Quay West in the southern Financial District and Harbourfront neighbourhood.

Due to an unforeseen site condition, our contractor, Somerville Construction, will remove one (1) Siberian Elm tree on site near the southwest corner of the site. This work is scheduled for Tuesday, October 25, 2022. On-site investigations of the soil and root conditions of the existing tree by an arborist in coordination with Urban Forestry revealed that the tree is unstable due to its shallow root conditions. Despite best efforts to save the tree, mitigation of the tree’s instability is not feasible and tree removal was recommended so it will not become a hazard in the future park.

Once the tree is safely removed, it will be replaced with a large shade tree to contribute to the future tree canopy in the park.

Siberian Elm, as its name may give away is a non-native (and also invasive tree species)

While not a material threat to natural spaces at this location, it is not a real loss either.

Both for the reason above, and also because, as discussed earlier in this thread, the Siberians all seem to show symptoms of Dutch Elm disease this year, and were looking moderately unhealthy by mid-summer.

A replacement choice should be welcome here.

1666972668778.png

Can the city just sign on Cormier to do like, all of our parks? I would gladly pay more taxes for that. Really sharp work as always.

To me, the three most successful designs of the last 30 years in Toronto that were scratch, are most of the Cormier work, MVVA (Corktown Common) and Julia Messervy (Music Garden).

For re-dos, PMA's efforts at St. James are really hard to knock.

I certainly would support giving more work to any of these; but would add; I'd really like to see the City hire them to:

1) Teach a master class for both the City's Landscape Architects (in-house); but also their project managers.
- What to look for in a park plan
- What makes a successful park
- How to achieve design that is popular, durable, and aesthetically pleasing

2) Teach value for money

3) Set the standards in parks for default lighting fixtures, waste receptacles, benches, signage, perennial flower beds.

4) Set minimum maintenance standards.

5) Design a default washrooms pavilion that is attractive, winterized, vandalism resistant and low-maintenance.

6) Find us some drinking fountains that don't look like ashtrays and don't break all the time!

Not strictly related to Love Park, but since this is the most active Cormier project at the moment: the name of "Claude Cormier + Associés" should probably be updated in the DB to CCxA. Sounds like Claude has stepped away from day-to-day design duties and has passed the torch on to Sophie Beaudoin and Marc Hallé.

AstroTurfing!

...hope the said grass doesn't mind whats going to be dropped isn't a ball! >.<

AstroTurfing!

...hope the said grass doesn't mind whats going to be dropped isn't a ball! >.<

As long as this is limited to the 'Dog Park' section, as described above, I take no issue with it. Real grass would not surviving high-density dog usage.

That said, I would be deeply disappointed were this used elsewhere in the space.

As long as this is limited to the 'Dog Park' section, as described above, I take no issue with it. Real grass would not surviving high-density dog usage.

That said, I would be deeply disappointed were this used elsewhere in the space.
I think that there is similar artificial grass in the unleashed dog area in St. Andrews playground park, although as my dog refuses to go anywhere near it I haven't actually walked on it.

I never thought of it that way. Although I should have...

Back